Windows 7 - system font problem - affects Office and some dialogs RRS feed

• Question

• My daughter has managed to do something very creative to her computer. Something that she has installed, configured or otherwise accessed has affected the font which is used for the Microsoft Office menus as well as a number of other system dialogs. The screen shot below shows the problem.

I have checked that the Segoe UI fonts are correctly installed and have made sure that the desktop is using default font settings (96dpi etc.) but cannot understand where this is coming from. It looks like the user interface is defaulting to WingDings!.

Can anyone tell me where Office gets its font setting from?

Andrew Wiles - www.it-workplace.com - MDX made simple

Sunday, October 14, 2012 12:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may go to Control Panel, then check the settings under Keyboards and Languages tab.

Please check the setting of current language for non-Unicode programs which is under the tab Administrative.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Kim Zhou Monday, October 22, 2012 2:29 AM
    Monday, October 15, 2012 8:05 AM

All replies

• has affected the font which is used for the Microsoft Office menus as well as a number of other system dialogs

Can anyone tell me where Office gets its font setting from?

Since this also affects system dialogs, I think Office related settings are of no use.

Copy the Arial, Calibri, Segoe UI, Tahoma, Times New Roman and Verdana fonts from a working computer's Fonts folder and copy them to your computer's Fonts folder, overwriting the existing copies of these fonts on your computer.

Sunday, October 14, 2012 12:47 PM
  • Hi,

You may go to Control Panel, then check the settings under Keyboards and Languages tab.

Please check the setting of current language for non-Unicode programs which is under the tab Administrative.

Kim Zhou

• Marked as answer by Kim Zhou Monday, October 22, 2012 2:29 AM
    Monday, October 15, 2012 8:05 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to check if there is any update about the problem. If so, please feel free to let us know it.

Kim Zhou

Friday, October 19, 2012 1:52 AM