none
SC DPM 2012 - The credentials specified for server are invalid. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem with adding one server to the list of my servers protected by System Center Data Protection Manager 2012 SP1.

There are two networks:

192.168.119.0/24 in Location A

and

192.168.200.0/24 in Location B

Between those two networks there is site-to-site VPN tunnel and machines from 192.168.119.0 network can access the 192.168.200.0 network.

On the PRD-BACKUP.abc.com server (192.168.119.2) - Windows 2012 Datacenter GUI, there is SCDPM 2012 SP1 installed.
    I want to protect my PRD-FILESERVER.def.com (192.168.200.0) - Windows 2012 Datacenter GUI in Location B

On the PRD-FILESERVER.def.com server I have installed DPMAgent and added the required user:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin>SetDPMServer.exe -DPMServerName PRD-BACKUP -IsNonDomainServer -UserName backup
    Configuring dpm server settings and firewall settings for dpm server =[PRD-BACKUP]
    Enter the password for 'backup' to connect to 'PRD-BACKUP':
    Retype the password to confirm:
    Enter the password for 'backup' to connect to 'PRD-BACKUP':
    Configuring dpm server settings and firewall settings for dpm server =[PRD-BACKUP]
    Configuration completed successfully!!!

There is no trust between abc.com and def.com domains.

When I'm trying to attach the DPM Agent on the DPM console I've got an error:

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> Attach-nondomainserver -dpmservername PRD-BACKUP -psname PRD-FILESERVER -username backup -password XXX
    WARNING: Connecting to DPM server: PRD-BACKUP
    There is failure while attaching production server
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin\Attach-NonDomainServer.ps1 : The credentials specified for server PRD-FILESERVER are invalid.

Rerun the operation with the same credentials that were provided when running SetDpmServer for the target server.

I'm sure I gave correct credentials, I've been trying to attach the PRD-FILESERVER many times.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Friday, February 8, 2013 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Xlogics,

Did you use NetBIOS name or FQDN.

If you use the NetBIOS name of the DPM server in the SetDPMServer command, you also must use the NetBIOS for the protected computer when you attach the computer. This also applies if you use the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the DPM server.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Friday, February 8, 2013 4:15 PM
  • Hi Stephane,

I've been trying add this server using both FQDN and NetBIOS names.

• Edited by Xlogics Friday, February 8, 2013 5:14 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 5:13 PM
  • Hi Xlogics,

Check this link and steps provide by Steve Light : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/dpmworkgroupbackup/thread/22d810bc-2655-4292-b1a0-d59d29a7b96b

You should focus on connectivity tests:

From your DPM server;

net view \\<protected server name>
    sc \\<protected server name> query
    Wmic /node:"<protected server name>" OS list brief

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Friday, February 8, 2013 8:49 PM