Adjust brightness RRS feed

• Question

• Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display

At left side there is a alternative for "Adjust brightness". But then I press the alternative I got moved to:

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options

Why? Isn't "Adjust brightness" there you can change the display brightness?

Using Windows 7 RC on a laptop.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:18 PM

Answers

• On a laptop, the power settings can control the brightness. It's one of the biggest complaints about laptops at work... The users don't have rights, so their power settings don't stay. Anyway, to save power when you are not plugged in, it dims the screen down. That is why you were going to the power options settings, so you could correct it in the 'alternate' method.

With just my video driver loaded, I cannot seem to adjust my brightness either, but on my XP install, I have the ATI control center loaded also and can adjust everything there.
    • Marked as answer by nicke157 Wednesday, May 20, 2009 11:45 AM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:24 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• On a laptop, the power settings can control the brightness. It's one of the biggest complaints about laptops at work... The users don't have rights, so their power settings don't stay. Anyway, to save power when you are not plugged in, it dims the screen down. That is why you were going to the power options settings, so you could correct it in the 'alternate' method.

With just my video driver loaded, I cannot seem to adjust my brightness either, but on my XP install, I have the ATI control center loaded also and can adjust everything there.
    • Marked as answer by nicke157 Wednesday, May 20, 2009 11:45 AM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:24 PM
    Answerer
  • Well, I thought as you that "Adjust brightness" was not there, but when going to make a Feedback I realized that there is a little scroll thing at the bottom of the window, but your eyes do not easily catch it!
    I can scroll the thing, but the brightness of the screen is not changing.... Perhaps I need to adjust something else?
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:33 AM
  • Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display

At left side there is a alternative for "Adjust brightness". But then I press the alternative I got moved to:

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options

Why? Isn't "Adjust brightness" there you can change the display brightness?

Using Windows 7 RC on a laptop.
    Hi

You should have a brightness adjustment on the keyboard. It is one of the FN blue keys.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:48 AM
  • Go to control panel, all control panel items, and display. On the left there should be an option to 'calibrate color'. If you go through that , there is a gamma adjustment that may help you.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 3:37 AM
    Answerer