Equation not showing properly in word 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a problem with my MS Word 2013. It seems that when i want to use the equation, under the design ribbon at the equation tools, there's few options for the structures (eg: fractions, script etc.). If you can see there's drop down button for each of the options. For instance if you click the fraction drop down, it will have a few kind of fraction to choose but in my case when i click the drop down button, nothing is shown. The slot for each type is there but it does not show the picture so it is hard for me to use it. But when I use MS PowerPoint 2013, it seems to be working. It is really weird.

I tried a few things to solve this but nothing solve this problem for me. Here are a few things that I already tried:

• Repair MS Office 2013 in the installation setup
    • Uninstall MS Office 2013 and re-install
    • Install Office Compatibility Pack

None of the above solve the problem. Can anybody help me solve this please? I have no idea what to do anymore.

See attached picture to see what I explained about and understand my problem better.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 1:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If the Building Blocks template file that comes with Microsoft Word is corrupt, it may cause Equations to not work correctly. To resolve this problem, move the damaged copy of the Building Blocks template out of the user data folder. After you do this, Word creates a new Building  Blocks template by using the default content. 

To do this, please follow:

1. Exit all Office programs.

2. Open the file explorer and navigate to:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033\15

Note: 1033 is the locale identification (LCID) number for English U.S version of Microsoft Office. For a list of locale ID numbers, see Locale identification numbers for language-specific files.

3. Rename the Built-In Building Blocks.dotx file to Built-In Building Blocks.old.

4. Then, navigate to

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\Document Parts\1033\15

5. Rename the Built-In Building Blocks.dotx file to Built-In Building Blocks.old.

6. Close both folders.

7. Now, click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and the click OK.

8. In the Currently installed programs list, right-click the version of the Office that is installed on the computer, click Change, click Repair, and then click Continue.

9. Restart Word to check the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

• Marked as answer by Steve Fan Friday, September 19, 2014 8:40 AM
    Friday, September 12, 2014 2:12 AM