how to fix the error of regedit (not open) RRS feed

• Question

• i have a huge problem in my pc from last week the problem is  my registry editor is showing me the error of "only import binary files " this error is occur when i try to open regedit
    now you need to know why i want to open regedit
    so answer is:
    by  mistake i have set registry editor as my default and just to solve it i want to open regedit but now when ever i try to open regedit i show me the error of  "only import binary files ".
    full action:
    when ever  try to run any exe file (i.e regedit) of my system first redistry editor ask me for permission when i allow it to run just after it shows me message of "adding information can unitenteionally change or delet values and cause component to stop  working correctly . if you do not trust the source of this information  in C:\windows\regedit.exe, do not add it to the registry.
    are you sure you want to continue
    "
    then i chose yes
    then it shows
    cannot import C:\windows\regedit.exe the specific file is not a registry script . you can only import binary registry files from with in the registry editor

and even my system resote is also ask for this permission

please help me to fix it i am in problem badly

please

Monday, February 19, 2018 12:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Were you going to import/install a reg file? Were you using a registry script ?

From the error, seems that the .reg file you are trying to import doesn't have the expected format.

Compare with your registry scripts to see if you need to upgrade them.

Same problems here:

https://serverfault.com/questions/162299/get-rid-of-warning-when-installing-registry-file

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/1b946662-6d35-4a16-9820-f73836c3e865/how-to-add-a-reg-key-to-ms-project-with-registry-editor?forum=w7itproui

Note: this is a 3rd party link, we don't have any warranties on this website. It's just for your convenience.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:23 AM