Need help imaging one SSD and not a storage drive. RRS feed

• Question

• I was given a pc today and I dropped an image on it. Everything to me looked fine as the C: was a whopping 984G.

What I later found out was that the pc also has a 512G solid state drive and that is where they want the OS to be (C:).

Every pc that runs through MDT gets one whole drive and the OS resides there, C:. I have no idea how to have MDT drop my image onto the smaller drive and leave the large one as storage (D: maybe?).

I'm thinking it must be in the partition section of MDT, yet then I'd have to have that step apply only to the Precision 7530 model.
    How do I go about either configuring the BIOS so that C: and the OS is the 512G drive and the other is a storage drive? Would I also have to hard-code that drive as a letter?
    I've never had this situation before and they're in a hurry for it, as usual.

I will add that I'm a logical thinker but I'm no scripter. I still need my one-drive pc's to remain as they are, just for two-drive pc's I need to format and deploy to the SSD and I guess format and letter-assign the larger storage drive as well.

Monday, April 1, 2019 11:38 PM

Answers

• For a quick work-around, since I don't think we'll be getting more of these...
    In the BIOS I disabled the large drive so only the smaller one was active. I imaged the pc and then in Disk Mgmt I formatted the large partition and assigned it D:.
    • Marked as answer by the1rickster Monday, April 15, 2019 6:09 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2019 6:09 PM

All replies

• Wednesday, April 3, 2019 9:34 AM
  • I think your Problem is that the SSD has the DiskID 1 and not 0. You can change the Disk to which it should install the OS in the unattend.xml Just change the Setting under ImageInstall\OSImage\InstallTo\DiskID from 0 to 1 and it will install the OS on the SSD.

Remember that this is just a quick and dirty solution. If you want something stable you should go for the Threat given by mrdiagg.

• Edited by nagek1 Wednesday, April 3, 2019 11:48 AM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2019 11:47 AM
  • If I change my unattend it goes to all Tasks in my Deployment Share. I only want this applied to devices with more than one drive. MDT needs to automatically query the number of HDD's on ALL devices so if I change Disk 0 to 1 in my unattend then it happens on all devices and I don't want that.
    Wednesday, April 3, 2019 12:58 PM
  • For a quick work-around, since I don't think we'll be getting more of these...
    In the BIOS I disabled the large drive so only the smaller one was active. I imaged the pc and then in Disk Mgmt I formatted the large partition and assigned it D:.
    • Marked as answer by the1rickster Monday, April 15, 2019 6:09 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2019 6:09 PM