using existing domain accounts RRS feed

• Question

• We are interested in using the utility but we don't want the utility to create the AD accounts. We already have test accounts created for other testing we perform in the form of <domain>\testuser<nnnn>, where nnnn is a sequentail number from 0001 -0500. Is there a way to use these existing accounts? I'm not seeing that in the whitepaper. thanks. max 
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:54 PM

Answers

• As Jane said, you won't be able to reuse the accounts you already have.

There's no option in fsct to tell that testuser<n> where n is in the 1 to X range should be used by clientA, testuser<m> where m is from X+1 to Y should be used by clientB and so on.

Fsct creates user accounts according to the following schema: <clientname>u<sequential number> (e.g. clientAu1, clientAu2, ..., clientBu1, clientBu2, ....). You could create the accounts yourself but they have to follow this naming convention.

Thursday, August 20, 2009 4:54 PM

All replies

• FSCT creates its own test users in the domain, and create matching folders/filesets for each of its own test users. It doesn't use existing users in the domain. Is there a concern of creating new users? You can always use cleanup after the test to remove the new users, and restore your environment. The user creation process is also very fast. Could you elaborate on the concern of user creation in your environment?
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:55 PM
  • As Jane said, you won't be able to reuse the accounts you already have.

There's no option in fsct to tell that testuser<n> where n is in the 1 to X range should be used by clientA, testuser<m> where m is from X+1 to Y should be used by clientB and so on.

Fsct creates user accounts according to the following schema: <clientname>u<sequential number> (e.g. clientAu1, clientAu2, ..., clientBu1, clientBu2, ....). You could create the accounts yourself but they have to follow this naming convention.

Thursday, August 20, 2009 4:54 PM
  • Sorry it took so long to get back with you. We don't really have a good test network/domain, so I have to do testing with test servers in the production domain. We're not allowed to create accounts. That's kind of a security/SOX issue. But I've played with the tool now and understand the issues. If our Windows Server Team agree's that we can produce valid tests with local accounts, then I think it will work just fine. The main goal of what we want to do is load the server with SMB connections and disk I/O. I think we can achieve that with the tool. thanks. max

Monday, August 31, 2009 1:29 PM