Custom List Advanced Settings & A Master Read View RRS feed

• Question

• The OOTB Custom List web part has the following settings under Advanced Settings:  "Read Access - specify which items users can read" and "Edit Access - specify which items users can edit."  If read access was set to "only their own" and edit access was set to either "only their own" or "none," would it still be possible to display all items to select users without giving them the Manage Lists permission?

I'm sure event handlers and custom workflows can be created to copy data into a secondary list that could be used to give this master read access to select people.  But are there other ways to do this too?

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:29 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Carl,

Yes. You can have all items displayed and the permission level you need to check the checkbox option is "Manage Lists" in addition to read, add, edit, etc. As you say the "Manage Permission" can stay as unchecked.

hth,

Chirag Patel, MCTS
    Blog: techChirag.com
    Twitter: @techChirag
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Right, but when using the options available under Advanced Settings so that read access is set to "only their own" or "none," is there a way to give others read access to all items without giving them Manage Lists permission?  I can see many scenarios where it may be desirable to give contribute rights to non-managers on a team, to restrict non-managers read rights (using the Advanced Settings option) to only their own or none, and to offer a read-only view of all items to managers without giving managers the ability to delete lists, delete columns, etc.

I know this can be done through custom development (and maybe even SPD workflows), but was wondering if it can be done another way?

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:48 PM