Windows Vista Calendar Help needed RRS feed

• Question

• I posted this on MS Answers and didn't get help to fix my problem. I thought I'd try this forum.

I have been having problems with Windows Calendar. I like it except for one big headache: Every now and then is just stops working. I will be working one day and realize that I did not get a reminder. It happened on 2/13. That is when I posted somthing to MS Answers. And, it happened again on 2/19. If I realize that Calendar is not working, I will open the app I will get a long list of reminders that didn't pop-up like they should. (I have weekly reminders and one-a-month reminders.)

One suggestion on MS Answers was to run System File Check. I did on 2/14. That found a lot of problems and fixed all of them; but, the calendar stopped working again on 2/19. So, it didn't seem to fix the Calendar problem.

I am almost certain that Calendar is not a Service. I checked that list in the Control Panel. I also cannot find it under the list of apps under Uninstall Applications. I was hoping I could uninstall/reinstall. Rebuilding my computer from the ground up is not an option right now.

Can anyone explain why Calendar would stop working like this? It seems silly to put it in the StartUp folder. It should work without doing that.

My other question is: Does anyone know of a calendar app that works? Maybe from CNET .com? That is where I am going to look.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:52 PM

All replies

• for us to know what exactly the problem was,we have to look in windows very own logbook, the eventviewer start>control panel>admin tools>event viewer look under the system log and scroll to the dates that the calender "fumbled", check to see the errors indicated.let us know"exactly" what it says
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:40 PM
  • Thank you for this.

There is a lot listed there. And, there are some errors on the day when the Calendar failed both times in February. I will look through all of these and post results.

Let me know if there is anything specific I should look for. (Will it actually list the Calendar app?)

K

Monday, February 21, 2011 7:14 PM
  • it wont hurt to look for the "calender" keyword in the errors.
    Monday, February 21, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Hi,

Are you running Windows Vista Home or Ultimate?

With Vista Ultimate my reminders worked when Calendar not running. For Vista Home premium, it will only work when calendar running.

Please make sure you have set the option "remind when calendar is not running".

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:38 AM
  • Magon Liu:

I am running Vista Home Premium.

I do have the "Reminders should show when calendar is not running" checked. Most of the time the reminders do pop up.

Someone on MS Answers suggested that I go into my C:\Users\usernamexxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Calendar\Calendars folder because it contains the .ics files that the Calendar app uses. I backed up that old file, made a list of my reminders and deleted the old ics file. It reset/cleared my calendar. I entered my list of reminders. We'll see if that works. The person who posted that said the ics file might be corrupted. Who knows? I just hope it works.

I looked in the System Logs. I searched for "calendar". I looked at all the errors for the day when the reminders failed. There was nothing to indicate that the calendar app field; but, I did not understand the errors. If the deleting of the ics file doesn't work, maybe I'll go back and look at those errors again and post some of them here.

Thanks.

K

Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:40 PM
  • please post the errors here,especially those tagged as critical
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:50 PM