BUG: Excessive CPU use when "Excel saved changes to a file..." dialog shown upon Excel launch RRS feed

• Question

• Steps to reproduce:

1. Open an Excel file
    2. Make edits to file without saving
    3. Force Quit Excel
    4. Launch Excel

RESULT1: The following dialog will display...

Excel saved changes to the file before the application quit unexpectedly. Do you want to open the last saved version of this file?

Now wait...

After some time, the Excel process will begin to consume an excessively high percentage of CPU. 

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 6:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What specific value are you referring to by "an excessively high percentage of CPU"?

I have tested the same on my end, when I saw the "Excel saved changes to..." prompt, Excel process does consume more CPU power (about 40%-60%), but it will soon back down to normal level. For me this is acceptable, probably Excel is trying to read data from the saved copy at that period.

It might also have something to do with the content in your specific Excel file. Is it a complex and lage Excel file? Try with a new workbook and see if you will see the same issue.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 7, 2016 6:56 AM