Upgraded to MDT 2013 U2 now USB boot is very slow. RRS feed

• Question

• I updated my Deployment Share (Deploy) and copied everything to my USB as I normally do, but now booting to the Deploy Menu takes a very long time. It starts the process but then I get the gray background for a long while before it goes on to the Customsettings step and then to the image menu. I thought maybe I had too many drivers on the USB. In my DS properties, under Windows PE x64/Drivers and Patches,  I have All Drivers and Packages and 'Include all Network' and 'Include all mass storage' drivers in the selection profile.

I'm just not sure what is slowing down the process to get to the image menu. Once there, it flies right through. Any thoughts would be helpful.

I should add that prior to the MDT upgrade, the whole boot process to the image menu was very quick. I believe that even after the upgrade it was going fast. Something else is making it slow for everyone. We all use a USB. I know the LiteTouch wim file is much larger than previously... our original one way back was 284k KB and now its 637k KB. Not sure if that's normal.
    • Edited by the1rickster Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:13 PM added line
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:09 PM

All replies

• My suggestion would be to change the WinPE settings from All Drivers and Packages to all Drivers and then regenerate WinPE.  I have found the time it takes to parse through and/or install patches for WinPE is not worth it.

Thursday, September 8, 2016 6:50 PM
  • I may try that, although I'm not adding any patches or packages. They are thick images with patches installed already. But I will give this a try.
    Thursday, September 8, 2016 7:16 PM