Business Contact Manager add-in crashes Outlook when EMET 5.0 is installed RRS feed

• Question

• We have Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013, and some of our users have Business Contact Manager (BCM).  Once we installed EMET 5.0 with the Recommended settings, the BCM add-in would crash Outlook.  EMET logs no messages to the Event Log.  The only entry in the Event Log is Event 1023 from .Net Runtime stating:

.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.5485 - CLR: Fatal Execution Engine Error (000007FEF798600A) (80131506)

I'm guessing no one else uses BCM and EMET as these forums and the rest of the Internet are devoid of any related posts.  We've tried toggling DEP, SEHOP, ASLR settings based on other posts about problems with other Outlook add-ins and EMET without any change in behavior.  We have tried removing the OUTLOOK.EXE entry from the list of apps in EMET, but Outlook always loads with a green check mark in the "Running EMET" column. 

1. Are there any settings for Outlook in EMET so that it will work with the BCM add-in?
    2. Assuming #2 is too complicated, is there any way to keep EMET from running Outlook as an EMET-protected process?  As I mentioned above, I've removed it from the App list in EMET but EMET still insists OUTLOOK.EXE is "Running EMET".

Any help would be appreciated.  Otherwise, we're scrapping EMET.

-Nate

Thursday, October 30, 2014 10:29 PM

All replies

• If you remove the Outlook.exe entry from the list of apps and it still shows as protected the changes you have made are not active. I guess that the changes you make when you toggle a protection for the Outlook process are also not active for the same reason. Did you check if your changes are activated by using the 'EMET_Conf.exe --list' command from an elevated command prompt?

Do you use a Group Policy to configure EMET? In EMET 4.1 you must use 'EMET_Conf.exe --refresh' if you made a change in the policy settings and after the policies are applied. In EMET 5.0 the service takes care of that but maybe there is a delay or the group policy settings are overruling the settings from the GUI and therefore also the changes you make through the GUI.

W. Spu

Saturday, November 1, 2014 2:35 PM
  • I get a very similar error (.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.8009 - CLR: Fatal Execution Engine Error (00007FF9275418DE) (80131506)) with EMET 5.1 on Win8.1 when I run Excel (64bit) with the MS Power BI add-ons. Had trouble removing Excel w/ the GUI but this worked "EMET_Conf.exe --delete *\OFFICE1*\EXCEL.EXE"

Guessing that the problem is w/ the add-ons, PowerQuery, PowerPivot or PowerView.

• Edited by WesE Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:34 PM