ProClarity Dashboard Studio access error. RRS feed

• Question

• For Testing purpose, I have installed PAS 6.3 and dashboard on the same machine. OS is Windows XP with SP2

I am using forms authentication and I am able to log in into Dashboard. However, I have problem connecting to Dashoard Studio. I am getting error as shown below.

--- Inner Exception ---
      System.Net.WebException
      - The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
      - Source: System
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)

I checked file count and folder structure with working environment and looks okay to me. I have IIS version 5.1 on this box.

Any idea where it is going wrong?

Thanks,

Rajendra

Thursday, April 17, 2008 4:46 PM

Answers

• If you did have URLScan, then there is a known issue with URLScan, Dashboard and IIS 5.x due to AllowDotInPath.

-Joey

"AllowDotInPath

"By default, this option is set to 0. If this option is set to 0, URLScan rejects any request that contains multiple periods (.). This prevents attempts to disguise requests for dangerous file name extensions by putting a safe file name extension in the path information or query string portion of the URL. For example, if this option is set to 1, URLScan might permit a request for http://servername/BadFile.exe/SafeFile.htm because it thinks that it is a request for an HTML page, when it is actually a request for an executable (.exe) file with the name of an HTML page in the PATH_INFO area. When this option is set 0, URLScan may also deny requests for directories that contain periods."

Several products require that AllowDotInPath be set to 1 including Outlook Web Access."

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:45 PM

All replies

•  

Rajendra,

Does the Dashboard Studio download and install or do you have problems before the installation? 

-Joey

Thursday, April 17, 2008 8:58 PM
  • Hello Rajendra,

In addition to Joey's questions; Do you have problems running other ClickOnce applications on that machine?  (Dashboard Studio is a ClickOnce app.)  Do you run into this same problem when trying to launch the Dashboard Studio from other machines?  Also, if you have URLScan or any type of lockdown utility you will want to ensure no exclusions are set for ClickOnce apps. 

This may also be an IIS 5 specific issue.  I have never heard of this behavior on any IIS 6 / 7 servers. 

Let me know what you find out, I'm curious to know what the culprit it.

Regards,

Amanda

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:09 PM
  • I have installed and modified the config files as per the instruction in the installation process. I can log in to dashboard as well. However, when I click on dashboard studio link, it gives me this error. Hence I cannot create any dashboard or add new users.

I have removed existing software and DB and trying to install it again. I will watch carefully if any other error occures during the process.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:24 PM
  •  

I do not know much about ClickOnce applications? any example to test will be helpful.

I do have IIS lockdown or URLscan installed earlier, but not sure. Where can I check that?

Thanks,

Rajendra

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:30 PM
  •  

Rajendra,

After a short amount of research, I suggest trying to put in the <serverName> or <serverName.domainName.com> instead of localhost - or, try localhost if using the server names. 

Also, make sure you aren't going though a proxy server or have old proxy server software on the machine.

Thanks,

-Joey

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:35 PM
  • Also, here are some ClickOnce application sites - http://clickonce.members.winisp.net.  Another note on this error suggests making sure that the web server has correct DNS entries as mentioned in the resolution below:

"We noticed that the webserver had one Static IP address but it had multiple DNS
    entries for the same IP address.

Reports and Reportserver was hosted under Non-default website which was listening
    on "All Unassigned" IP address.

We changed the Non-default website to listen to a specific address followed by IISReset."

-Joey

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:38 PM
  • If you did have URLScan, then there is a known issue with URLScan, Dashboard and IIS 5.x due to AllowDotInPath.

-Joey

"AllowDotInPath

"By default, this option is set to 0. If this option is set to 0, URLScan rejects any request that contains multiple periods (.). This prevents attempts to disguise requests for dangerous file name extensions by putting a safe file name extension in the path information or query string portion of the URL. For example, if this option is set to 1, URLScan might permit a request for http://servername/BadFile.exe/SafeFile.htm because it thinks that it is a request for an HTML page, when it is actually a request for an executable (.exe) file with the name of an HTML page in the PATH_INFO area. When this option is set 0, URLScan may also deny requests for directories that contain periods."

Several products require that AllowDotInPath be set to 1 including Outlook Web Access."

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:45 PM
  • Thanks Joey. I uninstalled URLscan and reinstalled dashboard and it worked. Due to URL scan it was not able to download/open dashboard studio.

After verifying everything, I reinstalled URLScan and it is working now.

Thanks Amanda and Joey for your valuable time and sugestion.

Rajendra

Friday, April 18, 2008 5:43 PM