How to recover Partition Completely RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows 2008 R2 on an Asus MB with AMD64 cpu.  I went to install a second HDD for RAID1 and when I restarted the computer, the partition got corrupted and would not boot. After several tries, I took the hard drive out of the computer and put it into a USB dock on another computer. Using a Partition tool (MiniTools Parition Wizard), I was able to recover and mark the partition as active. But now the reinstalled hard drive boots to the F8 screen and none of the choices (not even LastKnownGood) work. Each choice will load drivers, but then crashes with the computer rebooting. I've tried to fix this using chkdsk /f and sfc /scannow, but neither finds any problem and neither fixes the issue. What can I do next?
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 3:05 PM

Answers

• Probably not. So your backs turned out to be bad as well? Not good. It is always recommended to run at least two DCs for this reason.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Tuesday, March 15, 2016 6:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mary Dong Thursday, March 17, 2016 5:24 AM
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 6:03 PM

All replies

• Seems you're left with booting the install media and attempting an over-the-top install.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 3:15 PM
  • So, how do I do an over the top install, and how do I keep all my settings and files? This is a PDC and I want to preserve AD. Alternately, I have it backed up in MozyPro: am I going to have to use that backup?
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 3:20 AM
  • So, how do I do an over the top install, and how do I keep all my settings and files?

You may be able to boot the install media and hope it recognizes and existing installation.

This is a PDC and I want to preserve AD.

If you have another DC you may be able to seize roles or otherwise stand up a new one and migrate roles over.

Alternately, I have it backed up in MozyPro: am I going to have to use that backup?

May be an option but I'm not familiar with that product.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, March 3, 2016 3:27 AM
  • So, if I use the install media and choose "Install Now" instead of "Repair Computer", It should give me a choice of "upgrade: or "custom". Should I choose "custom"?
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 6:35 AM
  • I was suggesting an in-place upgrade. Of course there is no guarantee of success.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, March 3, 2016 1:47 PM
  • Doesn't an in-place upgrade require you to start from the desktop? If so, this idea won't work, since I cannot start Windows in the first place.

This whole thing started when I tried to add an identical disk for a RAID 1. I still have that second disk. How about if I use that second disk to install the OS and create a system image that I could then use to restore the first disk? Will that work?

• Edited by PCGenieLA Thursday, March 3, 2016 5:02 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 4:56 PM
  • This whole thing started when I tried to add an identical disk for a RAID 1. I still have that second disk. How about if I use that second disk to install the OS and create a system image that I could then use to restore the first disk? Will that work?

I don't understand that logic. If you have a working disk (functional operating system) and want to restore raid 1 fault tolerance then the method will depend on whether it is hardware or software raid.

If you have a backup then you can perform a restore by following this document.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772519%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, March 3, 2016 5:04 PM
  • No, I don't have a RAID 1, I never got to implement it. I was just saying that I have another unused HDD. Will the idea I laid out work?
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 5:23 PM
  • It sounds like you have no OS and only a backup.... correct? If so then your only path is to perform a full server recovery.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772519%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, March 3, 2016 5:30 PM
  • Sorry, I'm not being clear. I have one HDD with the broken OS and no backup. I am proposing to substitute in another drive, install the same OS and do a backup of it. Then add back the original HDD and try a system restore from RE using the the backup from the second HDD. Is that possible?
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 5:45 PM
  • Installing a new OS instance on a second disk does not help. If you cannot repair the broken OS on first disk then I think you're out of luck. Seems your only option is to try the in-place upgrade.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, March 3, 2016 5:54 PM
  • You cannot use the upgrade option when booting from the DVD. You have to be inside windows for that. Is there a way inside, given our issue? I don't think so.
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 6:00 PM
  • Probably not. So your backs turned out to be bad as well? Not good. It is always recommended to run at least two DCs for this reason.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Tuesday, March 15, 2016 6:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mary Dong Thursday, March 17, 2016 5:24 AM
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 6:03 PM