none
Auto-protect schedule and when does that work? RRS feed

• Question

• So, DPM2010 has a great feature of doing auto-protecting the sql servers instance of database server. What i need to find out is how to modify the schedule to get new databases imported. I checked and it seems only nightly that the new databases are imported but if i need to update that schedule or modify that to be a bit quicker, where is that setting at (most likely in DPMDB) that i can modify?

Any help is appreciated.

Jawad
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The autodiscovery time by DPM cannot be modified.  To query more often use the following procedure:

Make a batch file and add the below entries, then use windows scheduler to schedule the batch file to run at the desired times.

Powershell.exe -PSConsoleFile "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\dpmshell.psc1" -command "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\AutoProtectInstances.ps1 -dpmservername yourdpmservername

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The autodiscovery time by DPM cannot be modified.  To query more often use the following procedure:

Make a batch file and add the below entries, then use windows scheduler to schedule the batch file to run at the desired times.

Powershell.exe -PSConsoleFile "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\dpmshell.psc1" -command "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\AutoProtectInstances.ps1 -dpmservername yourdpmservername

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:21 PM
  • Just testing that at the moment and one thing i'd like to fix is the -dpmserver switch. It is -DPMServerName that needs to be used for specifying your DPM Server name.

Above command does work as a workaround for scheduling import of new databases set up on SQL instance of auto-protect and it takes about 15 minutes for 10 database servers I have on the DPM 2010.

Thank you Mike as it was not only a quick response but a working accurate one.

Jawad
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:50 PM