Platform Update windows 7x64 KB2670838 causes Windows Live, Explorer and Family Safety to stop working RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded and installed Platform Update windows 7x64 KB2670838. I then attempted to use IE9 to go onto the internet, it comes up with an error and closes the browser. I then tried to check e-mails using Windows Live the same thing happened, while family safety was trying to update a similar error occured, all trying to restart themselves telling me that I needed to restart the affected application. After I removed the update KB2670838 everything has gone back to normal and now is working correctly. Not having experienced a issue like this before I would like to know why it occured and will there be a patch to cure the problem !!

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:08 PM

All replies

• Same here. Live Mail fails to load with a message saying "Windows Live Mail has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program, etc." Uninstalled Platform Update windows 7x64 KB2670838and all is fine. Reinstalled and the same thing. again. Nice going MS!
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:13 PM
  • after my computer installed this update I got the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH.  Fortunaltey, I was able to restore my system to before the update, but I still have goose bumps from this terrifying experience...

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:44 PM
  • I too am getting the blue screen of death after this update.  I am running Windows 7 x64
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:44 AM
  • For some reason the update re-applied itself automatically, am posting this by using Google Chrome rather than my preferred browser that is Internet Explorer. live mail has once again stopped working as well. I will now have to remove the update again. Not very happy or impressed.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:10 PM
  • Hi,

Please test this issue in clean boot mode, if this issue persists, I will submit this phenomenon to our product team.

Thanks for your post!

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Cloud_TS Friday, March 1, 2013 2:45 AM
    Friday, March 1, 2013 2:45 AM
  • Hey, do a Google search for this update and it's caused thousands of problems all over the place! I even read that MS has pulled it already.
    Friday, March 1, 2013 1:15 PM
  • I have another problem. After installing this Platform update OR IE10 (!!!!), I can not play several (H.264?) videos on my PC. Mpeg2s and AVCHDs work fine. After starting the video from the windows explorer, Windows Media Player starts, but crashes immediatly before playing the video with an error message which has not particular information on the error just a general message. I have Windows 7 HP x64, AMD HD5770 with the latest Catalyst. I think the new H.264 codec must be the guilty. Have you got any ideas?

Saturday, March 2, 2013 7:59 PM
  • I have another problem. After installing this Platform update OR IE10 (!!!!), I can not play several (H.264?) videos on my PC. Mpeg2s and AVCHDs work fine. After starting the video from the windows explorer, Windows Media Player starts, but crashes immediatly before playing the video with an error message which has not particular information on the error just a general message. I have Windows 7 HP x64, AMD HD5770 with the latest Catalyst. I think the new H.264 codec must be the guilty. Have you got any ideas?

Hi,

I have a similar problem, and it also WMP crashes when I try to open a files ".mp4" and ".mov" with the same error. Previously I had no problems with these files.

• Edited by Mecosof Sunday, March 3, 2013 5:56 PM added .mp4 to comment
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 5:53 PM
  • I have been using IE 8 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. When installing IE 10, it automatically installs Windows Update kb2670838, which does not allow me to start a New Email in "Windows Live Mail". If you uninstall it, IE 10 is automatically uninstalled. So I gather you cannot use both IE 10 and "Windows Live Mail" on Windows 7...? 
    Monday, March 4, 2013 2:36 PM
  • Lenovo (Model #POS, will never buy from this manufacturer again), Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Windows Update, optional kb2670838 platform update, attempted twice to install after virus scans, file clean-ups, defrag, etc.

Results both times:  after download and install at the windows update screen, after requested restart, windows boots to pre-user-log-on screen, configuring of update begins, but then message reads 'failure to configure' at about 30% configured, then there is a system initiated retry of the configuration, which fails, message comes up that configuration will 'revert' and not to shutdown, after a few minutes, system restarts, am able to log on, all other updates fine, system runs fine, update reappeared as optional first time around, now it only shows up in update history as failed update.

Since it never configured and was 'dis-installed', haven't gotten any crashes or other bothersome issues (yet), but I believe it wouldn't successfully complete integration into the OS since at least one of the services mentioned in this forum, Family Safety, I have disabled.  I also have Windows Live at the lowest level of user compliance with the OS and browser as humanly possible (despise these push products), so possibly there was some non-fit issue there where I lucked out and then had to guesstimate what sucky wad of code Windows spit-balled into my computer this time.

Am growing soooo increasingly frustrated with Win/MS products.  Win 7 is a disgrace.  XP was a dream of operability in the face of viruses, human error, and bad code.  It was relatively straightforward what to chase down and fix when things went wrong.  Win 7 is one contorted configuration upon configuration upon layer/app/utility/authorization/restriction/and the all popular disinformation for the masses (let's fool those hackers by leaving our loyal paying clients mystified!!!).  I am actually considering switching to Win 8 because 7 has gotten so mind-numbingly, anxiety provoking, stress demoralizing unruly to keep sustainable week to week.  But I've heard nothing positive on that front, which leaves me disgusted and sad.  I will never buy an Apple (super-ick) but I am already using to almost customer loyalty swaying satisfaction: a paste&macaroni level Android netbook (cheap emergency purchase for the weeks I've gone without my laptop due to Win 7 security horrors), and now Ubuntu installed into an 8 yr old Dell that I had to scrap XP from when Win 7 infected it like a woobie with the smallpox.  The writing is on the wall (which I can tell from the ink on my forehead from smacking my head against it each time Win 7 fails).

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 12:45 AM