How to use room finder for meetings less than 30 minutes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm currently investigating the use of the room finder option in Outlook 2010 (with Exchange 2010 as backend, on-premise).

However, we would like to use it to schedule meetings less than 30 minutes, but that doesn't seem to work. 

The message "Suggestions are not provided for meetings with a duration of less than 30 minutes" appears in the suggested times box.

Is there a setting somewhere on the client or server that we can adjust to allow to use the room finder for meetings of 15 minutes?

Thanks a lot,
    Michiel Peene.

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Michiel,

If you try to do the same in OWA(Scheduling Assistant), you will find there is a similar message: Suggestions couldn't be provided because the scheduled meeting is shorter than the minimum required number of minutes:30.

As I know, it is not possible to change this parameter, the minimum duration is a global parameter configured for all calendars, and the minimum Meeting duration is set to 30 minutes.

In other words, this is by design.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Michiel P Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:23 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Michiel,

If you try to do the same in OWA(Scheduling Assistant), you will find there is a similar message: Suggestions couldn't be provided because the scheduled meeting is shorter than the minimum required number of minutes:30.

As I know, it is not possible to change this parameter, the minimum duration is a global parameter configured for all calendars, and the minimum Meeting duration is set to 30 minutes.

In other words, this is by design.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Michiel P Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:23 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:12 AM
  • Hi All,

Is this really the end of it? It's by design?

What I have noticed however is that it's not a problem with the meeting being less than 30 minutes, it's a problem with a meeting starting on a 15 minute or 45 minute mark of the hour. Even if the meeting is scheduled for 1 hour, as long as the start time is X:15 or X:45, room finder will not display any suggestions.

One can schedule the meeting starting at quarter past or quarter too, the room finder will just not make any suggestions for a room. So what I have done and suggested to the PAs in the business to do, is to find a room by starting off scheduling it to start on the hour. Then when you find a room that is available for that hour, select the room, then change the start time. If you want the meeting to be for less than an hour (say 45 mins) don't forget to change the end time respectively. It automatically defaults the end time to either 60 mins or 30 mins after the start time.

[EDIT] - I have actually discovered that the start time can be anything other than on the hour or on the half hour and the problem/issue presents itself.

Is there a setting that perhaps can be configured with PowerShell that allows the room finder to see availability of rooms for the 15 minutes past and 15 minutes too the hour, and therefore suggest rooms?

I wonder if it is not something to do with the Availability service (Free/Busy service) configuration, anyone know what is configurable on the Availability service and how to configure it?

Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:16 AM
  • Hi All,

What I have noticed however is that it's not a problem with the meeting being less than 30 minutes, it's a problem with a meeting starting on a 15 minute or 45 minute mark of the hour. Even if the meeting is scheduled for 1 hour, as long as the start time is X:15 or X:45, room finder will not display any suggestions.

One can schedule the meeting starting at quarter past or quarter too, the room finder will just not make any suggestions for a room. So what I have done and suggested to the PAs in the business to do, is to find a room by starting off scheduling it to start on the hour. Then when you find a room that is available for that hour, select the room, then change the start time. If you want the meeting to be for less than an hour (say 45 mins) don't forget to change the end time respectively. It automatically defaults the end time to either 60 mins or 30 mins after the start time.

[EDIT] - I have actually discovered that the start time can be anything other than on the hour or on the half hour and the problem/issue presents itself.

Is there a setting that perhaps can be configured with PowerShell that allows the room finder to see availability of rooms for the 15 minutes past and 15 minutes too the hour, and therefore suggest rooms?

I wonder if it is not something to do with the Availability service (Free/Busy service) configuration, anyone know what is configurable on the Availability service and how to configure it?

Did you ever find a solution to this ?
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:44 AM
  • Hi All,

Did you ever find a solution to this ?

It's now 2014 and it would still be helpful to know whether there's a way to fix Room Finder's apparent incompatibility with non-X:00/X:30 meeting times!

• Edited by AlbertMASI Monday, January 27, 2014 5:44 PM included quote
    Monday, January 27, 2014 5:43 PM
  • I too, have ran into this issue, we have been on 2010 for a few years, but recently got 2 people that brought this up to me in one day.  I do not have a solution but only the workaround you had above.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:36 PM
  • I have the issue too.

Ain't there any way to fix this in Outlook 2010, using a magical hidden registry key somewhere?

Is the problem also present in latest versions of MS Exchange?

Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:38 PM
  • July 2015... Has anyone found a solution to this?

It is possible to set a meeting TimeIncrement interval on a meeting room resource mailbox using the cmdlet;

set-mailboxcalendarconfiguration -id <alias> -timeincrement fifteenminutes

This does not appear to feed through to the room finder facility within outlook.

Environment is Outlook 2010 SP2 / Exchange 2013 CU6.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 2:57 PM