Does W10 have Dual-Boot support? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to install W10 having a Dual-Boot with W7

I already have W8.1 and W7 with dual-boot

Does anyone know that is possible to install W10 with dual-boot?

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Dual boot is fine ,I've installed to separate hard drive to test
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:33 PM
  • Should be fine. The iso install is just as simple as windows 8.1.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:44 PM
  • How about OS not from Microsoft? Are these finally integrated into the bootloader?
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:03 PM
  • With the normal version (not Enterprise), I had W7 & Debian 7, and after installing W10 in a third partition, and when W10 booted it showed me a Menu with W7 & W10 only, it didn't recognize my debian.

I have to say that my debian was in a partition with LVM

Thursday, October 2, 2014 6:40 AM
  • I would think it would be fine. Has anyone tried dual booting Win 10 on a Surface 3 Pro? I'm thinking of doing that this weekend. I would think it would install good, just curious if anyone else has done/tried it.

Thomas Slaughter

Thursday, October 2, 2014 3:13 PM
  • Dual Boot works fine here too, even installing to a VHD for the preview.

Bob Comer
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 3:27 PM
  • I'm actually triple booting. Three versions of windows in three different partitions. I haven't tested with a different type of OS. One thing I dislike is how the boot loader partially loads Windows 8.x or 10 before it can reboot to an older OS like windows 7 or older. It's sort of a 2 step process when it does this and takes longer to boot to an older OS.
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:47 PM
  • Thanks Rick

So am I triple-booting -- in my case Windows 7 32bit with Windows 8.1U Testbed used for Norton betas and another more normal Windows 8.1U that I have as a basis for support on CompuServe.

I used to have XP as well and since it was the original on this (new for Windows 7 when it was released) machine retained its boot structure from when Windows 7 was added, ie no small hidden partition. At least I think that was what was explained me at the time.

I do see the occasional oddities on my Windows 7 desktop deciding to rebuild itself in tile-like portions as if it had caught something from 8 so what you say could explain that. Do you have any more detailed references to this that I could read up on?

I will use the Windows 8.1U Testbed partition for Windows 10 TP.

We live in interesting times ..... alas.

Hugh

• Edited by HughwgFL Friday, October 10, 2014 1:41 AM
    Friday, October 10, 2014 1:40 AM
  • Hugh, Right now, I'm using a 32-bit version of Windows XP, Windows 7, and now Windows 10. I can't say I've had problems with my windows 7 trying to rebuild itself to something different, but then, I do not have Windows 8 on my machine either. Back when I was doing testing with Windows 8 on my computer, I don't ever recall seeing the issue you are describing. The only thing I did notice then, as i do now, is how the boot loader works. What I meant by a two step process is when you want to go to an older OS, the computer first boots to the GUI to let you select your OS, then it reboots again to get you to the older OS you may have selected. The system does work, but the process is much slower than with other boot loaders I have used in the past.
    Sunday, October 12, 2014 6:09 AM
  • Rick,

<<  What I meant by a two step process is when you want to go to an older OS, the computer first boots to the GUI to let you select your OS, then it reboots again to get you to the older OS you may have selected.   >>

When I had XP / 7 / 8* and now with 7 / 8* / 8* the only OS select menu I see is in the classic white on black text format.

Your description sounds as if you see a "Windows 8" blue style layout on which the mouse works such as you get when installing. If so I don't think I do see this after telling 8* I want to restart ..... it goes back to the BIOS POST and on to the classic menu.

If you are seeing differently I wonder if it is because I have always had EasyBCD installed and use that to set the default order, delay time, and description of each OS (To get away from the rude "Older Windows" <g>)

I find EasyBCD invaluable and I hope it works with Windows 10 already!

I just checked and according to this thread and message:

https://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13256&highlight=Windows+10 

it does (the mostly harmless guru is in fact "Mister EasyBCD" <g>)

Hugh

Sunday, October 12, 2014 8:45 PM
  • I posted a reply but included a URL for info from EasyBCD so I guess it's being moderated. I got a need to verify your account message. I've followed their breadcrumbs and posted a request ...

Hope you get it posted before too long ....

Hugh

Sunday, October 12, 2014 8:54 PM
  • I haven't been able to get the custom install to make a dual boot on the Surface Pro 3.

Did you have any luck? Am I supposed to disable the UEFI on the SP3?

I tried with the latest TP 100041 and it would only offer replacing the OS.

Monday, April 13, 2015 4:18 PM