none
Hyper-v Storage Spaces Direct cluster node servers running other software like Docker Swarm

Question

• Hello,

I am running Hyper-V in a Storage Spaces Direct cluster with 4 nodes, being managed by System Center VMM.  I am running multiple VM's both windows and Linux on top of this cluster.

Question is, if its supported and/or recommended by Microsoft to also run other software on the cluster servers directly, when this cluster is being used for Hyper-V.  In particular the question is to run a Docker Swarm setup on this same cluster, directly on the node servers.  I do realize I can run VM Linux machines and run Docker on-top of the VM's, but that is not the question.

Thank you for any response.

Robert

Friday, January 11, 2019 5:14 PM

Answers

• "if its supported and/or recommended by Microsoft to also run other software on the cluster servers directly, when this cluster is being used for Hyper-V."

Recommended?  No.  The recommendation is to use the host just for Hyper-V.  Any other function required for the overall environment should be placed into a virtual machine.

Supported?  Case by case.  Some things are supported, though it is frowned upon, and recommendation would be to remove it if at all possible.

tim

Saturday, January 12, 2019 2:33 PM