Issue with Fall Creators update and TestComplete RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My name is Prashant Mohan and I am the Product Manager for TestComplete at SmartBear Software.

We're facing a couple of showstopper issues after the Fall Creators update and would really appreciate someone helping us out as soon as possible.

Here is the summary of the issues we're facing.

ISSUE 1: Edge 41 on Win10 Fall Creators Update has very bad performance if some application installs hook using SetWindowsHookEx.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Unpack SimpleWindowsHook.zip to Program Files folder.

2. Run

SimpleWindowsHook\debug\SimpleHookInstaller.exe on x86 system or

SimpleWindowsHook\x64\debug\SimpleHookInstaller.exe on x64 system.

3. Open ModalDialogPage.htm (file from SimpleWindowsHook.zip) in Edge.

4. Click "Show Modal Dialog" button on the page. Try to enter any text to the text field.

Text entering will be very slow, ~2 seconds per key press.

Process Monitor shows multiple attempts to load SimpleHook.dll in the MicrosoftEdge.exe process. All attempts are failed, but Windows tries to load hook module again and again (see file HookLoadingFails.png from SimpleWindowsHook.zip).

JFYI, also we observe this issue on previous versions of Win10 with process MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe.

ISSUE 2: Keyboard input synchronization issue on Win10 Fall Creators Update

We develop test automation tool. The tool simulates user actions using the most native way. SendInput function is used to simulate keyboard input. Unfortunately, this function is asynchronous. It returns execution before test application processes WM_KEYDOWN/UP messages. We install window hook to avoid this issue. Hook waits when tested application gets WM_KEYDOWN/UP message from window message queue.

It works fine until Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. But Edge security breaks loading our hook to MicrosoftEdge.exe process. That’s why our software is unable to synchronize user action simulation with Edge window message queue.

Is it possible to restore our hook loading to Edge process? Could you provide some another way to make keyboard and mouse input synchronous with the window queue?

Thank you very much.

Prashant Mohan

Monday, November 27, 2017 5:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Prashant,

I noticed you leaked your personal information in this thread, please hidden any thing about your personal information in this public forum.

As your issue will related to code debugging, it needs engineer to analyze the issue separately with a lot of time. As our forum resource is limited and can't monitor and analyze your issue deeply, I recommend to open a premier thread for debug the issue from the following link.

Microsoft premier support

Thank you for your understanding.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Tuesday, December 5, 2017 1:47 AM
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 7:23 AM