none
passing a parameter into a KPI RRS feed

• Question

• I have a KPI that I wish to pass in a parameter.  The I have the following MDX espression in the KPI:  ((([Course Term].[Year-Term].[Academic Year].firstchild).lag(0)),[Measures].[FTE]).  I would like [Course Term].[Year-Term].[Academic Year] to be the parameter, so an end user can select the academic year, and the kpi will return the FTE for the child designated by the lag.  How do I link a filter to the scorecard to pass in the [Course Term].[Year-Term].[Academic Year]?

Thanks.
    Jake
    Monday, June 22, 2009 5:41 PM

All replies

• I think this is how you should you approach.

1. Make the MDX expression for your KPI as only [Measures].[FTE]

2. Create a filter with either Member Selection or MDX expression and Select all the members you want. If you are selecting using member selection then select membesr from Course Term dimension, Year Term Hierarchy, Academic Year members. MDX expression will be something like
    [Course Term].[Year-Term].[Academic Year] .Children.

3. Get the filter and scorecard on dashboard.

4. Create a link from filter to dashboard. Select Filter as Dashboard end point and then select MemberUniqueName.
    Click on Filter Link formula and write expression <<UniqueName>>.lag(0).

Hopefully this will work.

Here are a few more links that will be helpful.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/performancepoint/HA102464041033.aspx
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/performancepoint/HA102524951033.aspx

• Proposed as answer by K Sean Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:53 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 8:52 PM
  • That worked, however, I forgot to mention in the kpi I want 3 actuals, one for each of the three children.  So each actual will be ([Measures].[FTE],[Course Term].[Year-Term].[Academic Year] .Child), and the end user can select the Academic Year.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:59 PM
  • If I understand you requirement correctly, you want to display [Measures].[FTE] for three different Children of [Course Term].[Year-Term].[Academic Year] on columns. Here's how you approch this one.
    While creating link from filter to scorecard, select Columns as you end points and select MemberUniqueName. Click filter link formula and in expression you write MDX expression for columns across which you want to display [Measures].[FTE].

For e.g. lets say [Course Term].[Year-Term].[Academic Year] has two children as
       [Course Term].[Year-Term].[Academic Year] .[Semester1] and
       [Course Term].[Year-Term].[Academic Year] .[Semester2]
    and you want to display for these children.Then your expression will be like
    [Course Term].[Year-Term].[Academic Year] .Children so this will display semester1 and semester 2 values for [Measures].[FTE] on columns.

The point here to understand is that when you say <<UniqueName>> in expression you are slicing/dicing your KPI value by that dimension. [Course Term].[Year-Term].[Academic Year] in your case. Then you can write any MDX expression in link formula to navigate around this dimension.

• Proposed as answer by K Sean Thursday, July 9, 2009 12:44 PM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:06 PM
  • How can I differentiate which child goes on which column?  If I create 3 actuals in the KPI, each having [Measures].[FTE], the filter has the Academic Years ([Course Term].[Year-Term].[Academic Year].&[2009], [Course Term].[Year-Term].[Academic Year].&[2008], etc..., the link between the filter and scorecard has column as the end point, source value as Member UniqueName, the formula link editor is <<UniqueName>>, but all three columns return the same number, the sum of the children for the year selected.  can I write in <<UniqueName>>.FIRSTCHILD.LAG(0), <<UniqueName>>.FIRSTCHILD.LAG(-1), <<UniqueName>>.FIRSTCHILD.LAG(-2) and that will assign the child to each of the three columns?
    Monday, June 29, 2009 9:03 PM
  • I figured it out.  Thank you very much for your help!
    Monday, June 29, 2009 10:26 PM