none
Connecting SSAS Multidimensional cube to tabular model SQL 2017 for data mining

Question

• Hi, 

I'm trying to connect to my SQL 2017 tabular model from my 2017 multidimensional model to do some data mining

I've added the tabular database as an OLAP connection through the native OLE DB for analysis services 14.0 provider

When trying to add the linked dimension, I select the tabular database from the list of data sources and click next but it doesn't display any objects.

Another way I've tried is to create a named MDX query in an existing dimension created from a relational data source which the data is retrieved correctly when previewing the data. But... when processing the named query as a data mining model, I get the following error...

Errors in the high-level relational engine. The 'Tabular' secondary data source is not a relational data source, or does not use an OLE DB provider.

I assume I'm mean to be able to do data mining against my tabular model, how?

Thanks,

Nicola

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 9:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Nicola010101,

According to your error information, you need to check the datasource in your project. You could refer to Defining a Data Source View and The '' secondary data source is not a relational data source, or does not use an OLE DB provider. for details.

And you could use a relational data source, or base your model on multidimensional (OLAP) data. You could refer to Data Mining Wizard and Microsoft Data Mining with Cubes for details.

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 5:42 AM
  • Hi Zoe,

Thanks for your reply, do you know if theres a way to build the cube using linked dimension objects from the tabular OLAP model?

Meanwhile i'll have a look at the openrowset option for the data view

Thanks,

Nicola

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 10:07 PM
  • Hi  Nicola010101,

I think there is no methods currently, in Tabular model, there is no linked dimension. In addition, a linked dimension is based on a dimension created and stored in another Analysis Services database of the same version and compatibility level. By using a linked dimension, you can create, store, and maintain a dimension on one database, while making it available to users of multiple databases. To users, a linked dimension appears like any other dimension. 

You could refer to Define Linked Dimensions for details.

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:27 AM
  • Hi Zoe,

Its interesting how you (I) can browse the tabular model through SSMS just like you would a multidim model. There must be a simple way to use this functionality to browse the model/treat the same way in VS for the multidimensional project, right?

Thanks

Nicola

Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:22 PM
  • Hi Nicola010101,

According to your description, did you mean that whether we could use dimension in  Tabular model? As I know, when we create Tabular and Multi-dimension model, we will create datasource view, which tables are  from corresponding database, then use these source table to create dimension in dimension model and create table in Tabular. And we can't use dimension directly in Tabular model(in tabular, we need to use table) which might not be recognized.

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support

Monday, December 10, 2018 6:04 AM