Another Vista RC1 and XP dual boot problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just downloaded and installed Windows Vista RC1, and did a clean install (not upgrade) from boot, to another partition of the HDD.

All went well, but then before loading Vista, it did not show the OS choose list!!

I checked in Vista's Advanced Computer Settings>Boot options thing (where you set the Operating system/ time to show the OS list, etc) but it did not display "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"...

The drive that contains XP files are still there, untouched, but it is NOT shown  at boot!

what should I do?
    please help!

Thank you.

Saturday, September 16, 2006 4:01 PM

All replies

• I am having a similar problem. I installed Vista on a new partition, along with XP Home on one partition, and Fedora Core 5 on another. When I first installed Vista, I had two options, 1) Older version of Windows and 2) Windows Vista. Vista would boot fine, but the older version (XP I assumed) would not load.

I then re-installed the GRUB boot loader so I could boot Linux again, and then was able to successfully boot Linux and Vista. However, I had to use the Vista DVD to recover the Vista startup because I was getting an error when trying to boot: "BOOTMGR is missing". After I did this, Vista would boot straight up, but I still could not get to XP. When I try to load XP from my GRUB menu, I am still getting the Vista Boot Loader, but I do not need the boot loader to load, I just need XP to boot.

Ideally I want to be able to boot all three OSs from my GRUB menu. My partition table looks like this:

0    Vista (C:)    NTFS
    1    XP (D:)        NTFS
    2    Fedora        EXT3

Is there anything I can do to remove the Vista Boot Loader from XP while not affecting Vista itself? Like Kimatg, all the files from XP are still there, I can see them when I am booted into Vista. I just can not get XP to boot.

Sunday, September 17, 2006 12:44 AM
  • Casey,

Did you try editing the boot information inside of Vista do include all the the OS you are tring to boot from ? If you go to the run prompt and type in msconfig and got the boot tab do you see the there OS in that list.. you can edit what you want to be there and other variable for boot.

Chris S.

Sunday, September 17, 2006 3:10 AM
  • Chris,

I opened msconfig boot tab and there was nothing in the box and I could not add anything or change any settings in the tab.

I did download a program called "VistaBootPro" and tried adding XP to the Vista BCD store, and while it was displayed in the boot loader, I was unable to boot into XP, it only brought up a black screen and hung there. I tried inserting an XP CD to restore the XP boot loader, by typing "r" and running a "FIXBOOT" command. This disabled the Vista loader and I was unable to boot Vista, but XP still only displayed a black screen when I tried booting it. I don't know what Vista would have changed on my XP partition that would be preventing XP from booting. Any other thoughts anyone?

Sunday, September 17, 2006 7:16 AM
  • Casey,

That does not make alot of sense that all you are getting is a black screen. When choosing XP did you go back into the Vista boot config and make sure it is pointing the the proper drive to boot XP ?

Chris

Sunday, September 17, 2006 9:24 PM
  • Chris,

Yes, it is pointing to the correct drive for XP (D:). It looks like Vista took over the letter C:. I provided my Vista BCD store below. In Windows Explorer while I am in Vista, I can see both the C: and D: drives.

Right now, I have GRUB in the MBR. I have three choices when I boot:

1. Vista     (hd0,0)
    2. XP        (hd0,1)
    3. Fedora (hd0,2)

From GRUB, when I choose Vista, the Vista Windows Boot Loader appears, with choices to Windows XP and Windows Vista. When I choose XP, the computer restarts and brings me back to the beginning again. When I choose Vista, it boots to Vista no problem.

From GRUB, when I choose XP, a black screen appears and nothing happens.

From GRUB, when I choose Fedora, Fedora boots normally.

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------

identifier {bootmgr}

device partition=C:

default {current}

resumeobject {fe9fb18a-45d1-11db-915d-806e6f6e6963}

displayorder {current}

{17326942-45d5-11db-bf41-ba3c21dc9857}

timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------

identifier {current}

device partition=C:

path \Windows\system32\winload.exe

description Microsoft Windows Vista

osdevice partition=C:

systemroot \Windows

resumeobject {fe9fb18a-45d1-11db-915d-806e6f6e6963}

Windows Legacy OS Loader
    ------------------------

identifier {17326942-45d5-11db-bf41-ba3c21dc9857}

device partition=D:

path \ntldr

description Microsoft Windows XP

Monday, September 18, 2006 10:08 PM
  • I have read that Vista's new HDD encryption functionality will be a real problem for multi-booting.  You need to have the latest Vista-ready mobo/BIOS in order to turn off this feature and allow multi-booting.
    Tuesday, September 19, 2006 12:23 AM
  • Would Vista have erased any files I need for XP to boot up (like boot.ini)? It doesn't make any sense to me that I can still see all the files for XP but I can not boot into it from either GRUB or the Windows Boot Loader.

Scubadoo, I can still boot fine into Fedora, it's only XP that will not boot.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 10:53 PM
  • Casey,

I installed Vista beta (haven't upped to RC1 yet) on a separate hard drive partition. This hard drive also has XP Pro installed. After installing, Vista did take over the boot order, but this is due to it using a different boot management system than XP. XP uses the good ol' boot.ini but Vista has a new interface Bcdedit.exe that manages the boot structure. I wish I knew where it was on this forum, but JayTF made an excellent and informative thread on pretty much everything you'll need to know about using Bcdedit. If you used a third party tool already though, can't be sure what that did. Do a forum search for his name (or Bcdedit) and you can probably find it.

Both my Vista installation and XP Pro think they are king of the hill, that is they both think they are the C: drive. In XP it sees the Vista drive as D, and in Vista it sees the XP drive as D. Funny. Using Bcdedit gets the boot choices to load right; boot.ini is now only looked at after I would choose to boot XP.

This may not exactly help with your situation, but I would recommend finding out what you can on Bcdedit. It might lead you to a solution.

Samas
    Wednesday, September 20, 2006 6:21 PM
  • Figured it out! Thank you all for the suggestions.

My solution:

I had to copy BOOT.INI, NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from my XP partition to my Vista partition. This allowed the Vista Boot Loader to boot XP. After doing this, I rebooted and my computer stopped restarting and gave me the black screen I mentioned above (like when I would try from GRUB). I then logged back into Vista and opened the BOOT.INI file. I noticed the partition() part of my XP record was pointing to partition(1). After looking on my work computer, I tried changing this to partition(2), which did the trick! Looks like Windows doesn't start counting partitions at 0, but rather at 1.

After realizing this, I booted into Windows and changed the BOOT.INI file on that partition to reflect the same changes I made on my Vista partition, which allowed me to successfully boot into XP from my GRUB loader.

For reference:

I was able to boot XP from the Windows Boot Loader by adding it to the BCD store using the Bcdedit commands. However, once I got XP booting straight from GRUB, I removed it from the list.

If you come accross a similar problem with XP not booting after installing Vista, make sure BOOT.INI, NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM are on the Vista partition (in the root directory, such as C: and make sure you can view hidden and system files) if you want to boot XP using the Windows Boot Loader. Then all you have to do is add XP to the Vista BCD store using the Bcdedit commands (Typing bcdedit /? gives a thourough list of all the commands you can run).

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 10:03 PM
  • "I was able to boot XP from the Windows Boot Loader by adding it to the BCD store using the Bcdedit commands"

Any chance you can remember how you did this?... I'm trying to add my Existing XP to the Vista Boot loader.

Friday, September 22, 2006 4:03 AM
  • I recommend you the "VistaBootPRO" software. It is very easy to use.
    Saturday, September 23, 2006 5:52 PM
  • I would really recommend you either use Microsoft Virtual PC or wait for the 2007 Edition. I wonder why do you even want to have 3 OS on your system, but it's your choice...Also, try deleting everything again, and start from scratch,,but this time, Install Vista first, if not,, anything after vista, Vista(Microsoft) will want to take over,,,like drive letters,etc...because of the "security" features....of course,,each OS has to have its own partition....

Later.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 7:11 PM