none
DPM 2007 Replica is inconsistent RRS feed

• Question

• We are unable to take the Exchange 2003 Backup. Due to DPM-2007 error.

Affected area: First Storage Group

Occurred since: 12/15/2011 12:26:04 AM

Description:

The replica of Storage group First Storage Group on exmail.ad.xtelesis.com is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent (ID 3106)

DPM has detected a discontinuity in the log chain for Storage group First Storage Group on exmail.ad.xtelesis.com since the last synchronization. (ID 30216 Details: Unspecified error (0x80004005))

Recommended action:

1. Consult the administrator of the Exchange server to rectify the problem. Please ensure that exchange circular logging is turned off. Synchronization jobs may continue to fail until this issue is resolved.

2. Last backup might have failed after log truncation. 

In the Protection task area, click 'Create recovery point' and select 'full backup' option.

Synchronize with consistency check.

Run a synchronization job with consistency check...

Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below

Inactivate alert

I tried, remove the Exchange Agaent from DPM-2007 and re-created again. Exchange Information store service re-started and DPM- fails again

Kindly help me to fix this issues

Regards,

Linges

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:20 AM

Answers

• 1. Enable circular logging.

2. Dismount\Mount the DB. (If the DB is working without any dirty shutdown then this should not cause you any problem)

3. Check the logs have been truncated.

4. Disable circular logging.

5. Dismount\Mount DB.

6. Run the backup.

Hope that help,

Laith

If you found this helpful please mark it as an Answer.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Linges,

Does Consistency Check completes successfully?

Two things that can cause discontinuity in the log chain is if Circular Logging is enabled for that database or if you have another backup solution protecting this database along with DPM.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:24 AM
  • No, Consistency check failed. i checked the circular logging is disabled and there is other backup option.

The mail Database size 120GB, 

Replica volume: 330.52 GB allocated, 74.79 MB used | Recovery point volume: 220.00 GB allocated, 71.33 MB used.

Kindly help me on this.

Thanks,

linges

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:42 AM
  • Hi Linges,

can you post the replica job error message here? You can get that from DPM 2007 administration Console, Monitoring/jobs tab

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Affected area: First Storage Group
    Occurred since: 12/22/2011 6:16:14 AM
    Description: The replica of Storage group First Storage Group on exmail.ad.xtelesis.com is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent (ID 3106)
    DPM has detected a discontinuity in the log chain for Storage group First Storage Group on exmail.ad.xtelesis.com since the last synchronization. (ID 30216 Details: Unspecified error (0x80004005))
    Recommended action:
    1. Consult the administrator of the Exchange server to rectify the problem. Please ensure that exchange circular logging is turned off. Synchronization jobs may continue to fail until this issue is resolved.
    2. Last backup might have failed after log truncation. 
    In the Protection task area, click 'Create recovery point' and select 'full backup' option.
    Synchronize with consistency check.
    Run a synchronization job with consistency check...
    Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
    Inactivate alert
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:41 PM
  • You mentioned thast you have another backup solution protecting your exchange.

What is the backup frequence you have with that one?

Would it be possible to disable this other backup solution and check how DPM behaves after that?

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Hi Wilson,

We do not have other backup solution. We are using DPM only.

Thanks

Linges

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Is this the only database behaving like that?

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Yes, Still we are unable to take Exchange backup. The Exchange log has quickly fill up the Disk space. Please help to Fix.
    Monday, January 2, 2012 10:58 AM
  • Per this info you posted few days back. It sounds like you never had any successful recovery points.

Replica volume: 330.52 GB allocated, 74.79 MB used | Recovery point volume: 220.00 GB allocated, 71.33 MB used.

Can you do this?

Stop protection of that Exchange DB (removing data). Then start protection again.

This will start a replica creation job. If that fails, post the Replica Creation job error here (From Monitoring/Jobs not Moniroting/Alerts).

Monday, January 2, 2012 12:08 PM
  • yes, i was tried it before, But it's not working.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 10:17 AM
  • kindly help me!
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 10:17 AM
  • Hi Netpro_07.

If you could do it once more so we can have the replica creation error message, I'd appreciate.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Hi,

This error that you are getting is because of broken chain in the exchange logs and its not because of DPM. I need you to check if the size of the logs are increased and as well if you are able to backup the DB using Windows Server Backup or Ntbackup. If the backup is not succefully completed then you have to do the following but be aware that all the logs will be delete and you will not be able to restore the database into previous date but since you dont have the backup running then that will not be a problem.

Enable circular login in all the DBs ( of course you have to dismount and mount the DBs). That will delete all log files.

After you check that all log files been deleted then disable circular login one more time and run the backup. Then you will see that the backup ran succefully.

Hope that helps,

Laith

• Edited by Laith_IT Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:53 PM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:52 PM
  • Hi Netpro,

Are you still having the problem?

/ Laith.

Monday, January 9, 2012 9:17 AM
  • hello laith,

please let me know the steps? after the backup, circular logging should be disable?. what is risk in processing the mount/De-mounting the DB?

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:22 AM
  • 1. Enable circular logging.

2. Dismount\Mount the DB. (If the DB is working without any dirty shutdown then this should not cause you any problem)

3. Check the logs have been truncated.

4. Disable circular logging.

5. Dismount\Mount DB.

6. Run the backup.

Hope that help,

Laith

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:36 PM
  • hi netpro,

do you still have the problem?

Monday, January 16, 2012 6:50 PM
  • hi all.

netpro can you tell us if it worked for you cause I'm facing the same problem?

(i enabled windows server backup which worked just fine) but i have to  make DPM 2010 backup my DBs again

Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:53 AM