Windows Vista Sidebar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Hoping someone might have an answer to my problem I am having.  A week ago my sidebar background went from clear to white.  All my gadgets still are working, but I'm not able to get the background to go back to clear.  I have tried everything I can think of to correct the problem, but not having any luck.  Has anyone had the same problem and found how to correct it?  Thanks Vicki
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 5:11 AM

Answers

• Please test the issue by creating a new user account in case it is due to faulty profile.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-user-account

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Vicki,

No, I can't say I've had that particular problem, but I'll try to help. Can you simply exit sidebar and the rerun it from it's folder. Path is "C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe".

Did you add any gadgets just before it turned to white? If you did go to the Properties and; 'View list of running gadgets' and remove that from there. Try then exiting sidebar and restarting it as above.

Did you change it to the left - from the right and back again, or vice versa right to left to right, by selecting the option from the properties there too, it's really just a matter of keep trying until it corrects itself.

Exit it, log off windows. and then log back on again. Even unselect the "start sidebar when windows starts" from properties perhaps, and then try exit/log-off/log-on/run instead. etc. 

Hopefully it resolves itself for you soon, pkn2011

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 2:35 PM
  • I tried everything you have said to do and nothing seems to work.  I don't know how or why it happened, but one day I go to boot up my laptop and that is what happened.  Would you know if I can unistall the whole problem and reinstall it?

Saturday, July 23, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Hi again, I'm not sure if you can simply uninstall it as it's part of the OS - it's not showing up as a standalone program in programs & Features.

There's some other things you could try. Perhaps attach and detach a couple of the gadgets to/from the sidebar. Bring gadgets to front - and then not to the front..

If that doesn't work either. then I'd do this. Uncheck the box to "start sidebar when windows starts" - then exit the sidebar. Go to your startup file and edit out the line that boots the sidebar. (If you don't know how: like this. Go to Start button - in search bar; type 'msconfig.exe' <Enter> - once opened go to the 'Startup' menu therein - look for items with "Microsoft" in them - go across and hover over the 'Command' path to make sure it's referring to the sidebar [widen the command header if you don't have pop-up info so you can read them] - and when you see the sidebar.exe entry then UNcheck the box for it - and click Apply.)

So now you can reboot and the sidebar shouldn't load. Then when your system is up and running go to the sidebar and run it from its path. Hopefully it now works properly. If so, recheck the box to "start sidebar when windows starts" again.  Done.

See how that goes then. FX'd, pkn2011

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Hi, Hoping someone might have an answer to my problem I am having.  A week ago my sidebar background went from clear to white.  All my gadgets still are working, but I'm not able to get the background to go back to clear.  I have tried everything I can think of to correct the problem, but not having any luck.  Has anyone had the same problem and found how to correct it?  Thanks Vicki

If you have restore points that go as far back as one week ago, pick a date when you did NOT have that problem as your restore point and do a system restore.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html
    If it solves your problem, I did it. If it does not, my twin brother did it.
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 5:50 PM
  • did that it didn't work

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:08 AM
  • Hi again,

Well that's a nuisance then for you..  You have all the latest Windows updates installed I guess. If your OS is up to date and the problem isn't resolving itself, perhaps there's a conflict with other software running. you'll need to go to this link. (Thanks to Miya Yao) "try a Clean Boot in case of any third-party services conflict."

There's also troubleshooters you can run (look for Fix-it) at the above link too.

Not sure what else to suggest, maybe deleting the 'sidebar.ini' file and replacing it with a fresh copy off a backup could do it(?). pkn2011

• Edited by pkn2011 Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:32 AM Added info
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:23 AM
  • it didn't help same thing

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:30 AM
  • Please test the issue by creating a new user account in case it is due to faulty profile.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-user-account

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:38 AM