Is there a log somewhere when someone creates\modifies rules and\or creates a rule to forward emails to an outside account? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We want to be notified when someone creates\modifies rules and\or creates a rule to forward emails to an outside account.   I can create an alert, no problem but which log does it get written?   Does Outlook rules write back to Exchange whenever a user modifies their Outlook rule? 

We are using Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2010.  Thank you!

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 8:56 PM

Answers

• Thanks.  I have a 3rd party tool that can monitor and send alerts just about anything but I needs to get a log in order to audit the Outlook rules.  When a user setup rules in Outlook 2010, does it ever get recorded in any log that I can monitor?

As far as I know, Outlook doesn't have such a log recorded. You may try enabling audit logging to see if it works.

If you have more concerns on this feature, it is encouraged to visit the Outlook user voice forum to submit your ideas.

Thank you for your understanding and support!

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:25 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, May 29, 2019 7:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, May 29, 2019 7:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by DoBongSoon Thursday, May 30, 2019 11:04 PM
    Friday, May 24, 2019 4:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, Outlook doesn't have a built-in option to send a reminder when users create or modify their rules or logs about rule changing.

I searched official articles on both Outlook and Exchange side and found this one: Manage mailbox auditing

The following table describes the mailbox actions that are available in mailbox audit logging for user mailboxes and shared mailboxes:

This article is applied for Exchange Online but the cmdlet Set-AdminAuditLogConfig is also applied to Exchange server 2010. I haven't found related articles whether this works for Exchange 2010, too. You may try this on your side.

As here we mainly focus on Outlook desktop client, my knowledge about Exchange is limited. If you have further concern about this cmdlet, you can post a thread on Exchange Server forum.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, May 23, 2019 3:15 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, May 27, 2019 4:28 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 3:15 AM
  • Thanks.  I have a 3rd party tool that can monitor and send alerts just about anything but I needs to get a log in order to audit the Outlook rules.  When a user setup rules in Outlook 2010, does it ever get recorded in any log that I can monitor?
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 11:01 PM

As far as I know, Outlook doesn't have such a log recorded. You may try enabling audit logging to see if it works.

If you have more concerns on this feature, it is encouraged to visit the Outlook user voice forum to submit your ideas.

Thank you for your understanding and support!

Regards,

Perry

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:25 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, May 29, 2019 7:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, May 29, 2019 7:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by DoBongSoon Thursday, May 30, 2019 11:04 PM
    Friday, May 24, 2019 4:32 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is useful to you.

If yes, it's recommended to mark it as answer which will benefit other forum users who read this thread.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Perry

Monday, May 27, 2019 4:29 AM
  • We end up just waiting to complete our Office 365 migration then we will implement this rather than figuring out in Exchange 2010.  Thanks for your time on this.
    • Edited by DoBongSoon Thursday, May 30, 2019 11:05 PM
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 11:05 PM