The registry setting ProfileImagePath and CentralProfile are not equal RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have a user that logs on to a Citrix published desktop on a 2008 R2 server and gets a TEMP profile created. This again leads to no profile creation in our centrally profile store on a fileserver, which we have configured this to point to With a GPO.

I see when I look at the profile key in the registry for this user that

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\SID\CentralProfile points to our fileserver, and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\SID\ProfileImagePath Points to C:\Users\TEMP.

I am curious to know where I can find the reason for the ProfileImagePath pointing to C:\Users\TEMP.

I know that it should point to C:\Users\%username% for the profile to be created on our Central profile location...

Freddy

Friday, August 22, 2014 2:44 PM

Answers

• Hi! I closed the support case With the following solution:
    There seems to be a cross domain Access rights issue that does not allow these users to create the profile in the profile destination, and therefore they get the temp profile. I also saw Access Denied Messages in the Application event log.

There are several GPO's to look at, so it wasn't Clear to me in the beginning that it was related to this.

Freddy

• Marked as answer by CesarTabares Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:35 AM
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:35 AM

All replies

• A user gets a temporary profile when an error stops the users profile from loading.  (I am assuming you are using Windows to manage your roaming profiles and not Citrix User Profile Manager.)

I would search for the account name in the Application Event Log and try to identify the reason they get a temporary profile.

If you want to try and fix it you could just try changing ProfileImagePath to the correct value or delete the users entire profile and roaming profile. Steps below.

The user will loose any settings saved in their profile

With the account logged off…

Delete C:Users\TEMP

Delete C:\Users\%username%\

Delete their profile from the roaming profile share.

Delete the entire SID for this user key from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\

If this happens to the same user again, I would check permissions on the C:\Users and the roaming profile share for this user.  Again the Event Log is your best bet if the problem re-occurs.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Saturday, August 23, 2014 7:30 PM
  • Hi Freddy,

Is there any update for your case?

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Monday, August 25, 2014 2:10 AM
  • Hi! I closed the support case With the following solution:
    There seems to be a cross domain Access rights issue that does not allow these users to create the profile in the profile destination, and therefore they get the temp profile. I also saw Access Denied Messages in the Application event log.

There are several GPO's to look at, so it wasn't Clear to me in the beginning that it was related to this.

Freddy

• Marked as answer by CesarTabares Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:35 AM
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:35 AM