DHCP Server in Hyper-v Forum!?!? RRS feed

• Question

• The RC0 update from beta of hyper-v went ok for me. All my guests are up and running. However my dhcp server running on the host fails to bind to any nic now. No interfaces show up in bindings.

While changing the IP settings after recreating my Virtual Networks an error poped up about another card having the same IP configuration.

I found a related kb and tried devcon to see if I had any "ghosted nics" From what I see I do not have any. I am afraid something left over from the beta install is causing conflicts!

Any Ideas???

Friday, April 11, 2008 5:46 PM

Answers

•  

Had the same problem as you describe with the DHCP

In my case the DHCP server was looking in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces for interfaces with 'IPAddress' (type REG_MULTI_SZ), and Hyper-V interfaces seems to be missing this value

Setting it manually solved my problem Smile

Friday, April 11, 2008 9:13 PM
  • I'm fully aware about the "other" nic problem, but it will never be a problem unless the "other" nic is "re-plugged". But cleaning it up always seems like a good idea to me Smile

The real problem (and also the subject line) is running DHCP on a server that also hosts Hyper-v, the new virtual NIC that Hyper-v creates can't be bound to the DHCP server unless the interface has the 'IPAddress' value in the registry which seems to be missing on new virtual nic's (Hyper-v RC0)

Saturday, April 12, 2008 8:41 AM
  • I agree with D-TH the beta added this entry the RC doesn't... From what I can see the RC should also create this "needed" reg entry, unless someone gives a valid reason for that being excluded from the RC.. I would like to hear it...

Thanks for all the help guys! I will be testing these changes shortly..

Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:55 PM
  • I recognized the event 1041 which describes the error that non STATIC interface could be found to bind. So I tried to bind the interface through the DHCP mmc, no listed there. So I simply reconfigured my LAN adapter (the virtual from Hyper-V) through netsh interface ipv4 set address "..." ip subnetmask gateway

That was all.
    Friday, June 6, 2008 6:23 AM
  • After reading this forum, and the note about using netsh, it seemed that all you needed to do was change something on the interface and windows would write out the correct information into the registry.  

I simply changed the mask on the desired interface from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0, saved it, then changed it back.  Suddenly the interface appeared in the DHCP bindings.

BTW, I run DHCP on the Host OS so that I can get an IP address (in our isolated test enviroment) even if the Virtual environment is not running.

• Edited by Eugene3 Monday, August 4, 2008 4:10 AM Added more info
    • Proposed as answer by mkush2 Friday, August 15, 2008 12:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, August 18, 2008 2:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, August 18, 2008 2:03 AM
    Monday, August 4, 2008 4:04 AM

All replies

• Your WS08 parent partition has a new NIC - this happened when Hyper-v was installed (it is the virtual network adapter) in the network connections.

When you installed the hyper-v role this was created and given the default of DHCP so no dedicated IP addressed NIC for DHCP to bind to.

When you modify your IP settings be sure to leave the physical NIC alone - the only thing there should be the virtual network protocol.

If you set the new virtual NIC to the same IP as the previous NIC you can end up with NICs hidden in the registry that need to be cleaned out (the same thing ahppens to a physical server when adding a new NIC or restoring a DHCP server to new hardware).

Friday, April 11, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Thanks! So how do I go about removing these 'hidden' nics from the registry? I understand how hyper-v changes the nics and they are both configured however I did change my new virtual nic to the same settings as my old virtual nic from beta install of hyper-v this is where the problem began. Is there a kb or something explaining how to dive into the reg and remove these?

Friday, April 11, 2008 6:25 PM
  • This might help you get there:

http://blog.vistanetworks.ca/category/windows/

This is one way to do it - outside of messing with the registry directly.

(yes it works on WS08)

Friday, April 11, 2008 6:45 PM
  • Right, I tried all that before posting like I said in the first post. I do not appear to see any of the ghost nics. While looking at this keep in mind I have 2 Broadcom nics installed on this machine. One is disabled. The one that is active is the #2 one.

devcon output:

B06BDRV\L2ND&PCI_164C14E4&SUBSYS_03421014&REV_12\6&27E9E958&0&20050600: Broadcom
     BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #2
    B06BDRV\L2ND&PCI_164C14E4&SUBSYS_03421014&REV_12\6&2A2D62A3&0&20050300: Broadcom
     BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client)
    ROOT\*ISATAP\0000                                           : isatap.{56FBE593-9
    DB3-4F13-BB58-CE04603FCF06}
    ROOT\*ISATAP\0001                                           : isatap.{CA8604BE-6
    BD7-4FCD-9B5D-F0B75939ADC1}
    ROOT\*ISATAP\0002                                           : isatap.{1CDC3FCC-4
    C4D-420C-B828-55832FCBC558}
    ROOT\MS_L2TPMINIPORT\0000                                   : WAN Miniport (L2TP
    )
    ROOT\MS_NDISWANBH\0000                                      : WAN Miniport (Netw
    ork Monitor)
    ROOT\MS_NDISWANIP\0000                                      : WAN Miniport (IP)
    ROOT\MS_NDISWANIPV6\0000                                    : WAN Miniport (IPv6
    )
    ROOT\MS_PPPOEMINIPORT\0000                                  : WAN Miniport (PPPO
    E)
    ROOT\MS_PPTPMINIPORT\0000                                   : WAN Miniport (PPTP
    )
    ROOT\MS_SSTPMINIPORT\0000                                   : WAN Miniport (SSTP
    )
    ROOT\VMS_MP\0000                                            : Microsoft Hyper-V
    Network Switch Default Miniport
    ROOT\VMS_MP\0001                                            : New Virtual Networ
    k
    SW\{EEAB7790-C514-11D1-B42B-00805FC1270E}\ASYNCMAC          : RAS Async Adapter

Do you see anything in there that should not be? Also I dug down into the reg only to see the two broadcom nics.

Thanks Again!

Friday, April 11, 2008 6:56 PM
  • Is this just an information error that is telling you that his condition exists and that it could cause issues if the old NIc is brought online?

Or, is it actually preventing you from setting up DHCP properly?

Friday, April 11, 2008 7:16 PM
  • It prevents me from setting up and or using a pre-configured dhcp server. Nothing shows up for avaliable interfaces to bind to in dhcp/advanced settings under bindings.

If I remove the hyper-v nic in hyper-v manager my dhcp server binds to the correct interface again. All is well. However the second I add a virtual network it is gone again.

I tried the usual windows basics... uninstalled dhcp rebooted reinstalled dhcp... still no luck no avaliabe bindings.

Friday, April 11, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Try looking here in the registry:

Computer -> HKLM -> System -> CurrentControlSet -> Services -> TCPIP -> Parameters -> Interfaces

You should find two GUIDs with the same configuration here.

There is also a GUID entry under ....... -> Adapters

(or in this case it might be missing from the Adapters key)

Friday, April 11, 2008 7:29 PM
  • ok man I think your on to something here... I actually have 4 in each of those locations. I see two with the same IP.

Im a little confused on figuring out what ones to remove??

I guess i could change my settings on the nic to see what entry it changes in the reg and remove the other one?

Friday, April 11, 2008 7:38 PM
  • yep - that is where I was giving my screen a strange look ..... there is no name here, how do i figure it out...

I think you have a good idea.

Friday, April 11, 2008 7:41 PM
  •  

Ok I (exported) then removed the two ids I suspect to be the cause.. Dhcp still will not bind to an interface.. I assume a change directly to the reg requires a reboot. This will have to wait, I have screwed my company enough for one day. I will get back to you man, thanks again for the help!

Friday, April 11, 2008 7:51 PM
  •  

In my case the DHCP server was looking in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces for interfaces with 'IPAddress' (type REG_MULTI_SZ), and Hyper-V interfaces seems to be missing this value

Friday, April 11, 2008 9:13 PM
  • The message about the "other" NIC has nothing to do with virtualization really. It is a standard message from the OS telling you that you already have a NIC set up with the same IP address as the new one, and that you will have an IP conflict it you reactivate the "old" one. The same thing happens if you replace a physical NIC and try to give it the same IP address as the old one.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 12:51 AM
  • I'm fully aware about the "other" nic problem, but it will never be a problem unless the "other" nic is "re-plugged". But cleaning it up always seems like a good idea to me Smile

The real problem (and also the subject line) is running DHCP on a server that also hosts Hyper-v, the new virtual NIC that Hyper-v creates can't be bound to the DHCP server unless the interface has the 'IPAddress' value in the registry which seems to be missing on new virtual nic's (Hyper-v RC0)

Saturday, April 12, 2008 8:41 AM
  • I agree with D-TH the beta added this entry the RC doesn't... From what I can see the RC should also create this "needed" reg entry, unless someone gives a valid reason for that being excluded from the RC.. I would like to hear it...

Thanks for all the help guys! I will be testing these changes shortly..

Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:55 PM
  •  

D-TH,

Can you be a bit more specific with what you added? In my adaptors I have 4 entries. One of which is the settings of my Virtual Network.. In this entry I already have the IPAddress setting and it is set up properly. Do I need this setting in one of the other three entries? If so what one or how do I go about figuring out which one...

TIA

Saturday, April 12, 2008 2:26 PM
  • I just added the missing IPAddress value for the interface that I wanted the DHCP server bound to

Googling the DHCP binding problem got my to this post and pointed me to the registry path to check

Compairing the different interfaces listed there I found that the one I wanted to use for the DHCP server was missing an 'IPAddress' value so I added it and went to the DCHP server binding page and there it was Smile

...I can't check it now but I might have deselected IPv6 from that interface as well

Is it not working for you?

I wonder why the beta did add this value and the RC0 don't... maybe to keep people from running DHCP server on a virtual network? Smile

Saturday, April 12, 2008 8:39 PM
  • It is not recommended to configure your Hyper-V host with network services such as DHCP, Active Directory primary domain controllers, Exchange, SQL. etc. in a production environment.

This being said, you can get away with a lot in test that just won't work well in production.

This might be a reason for this change.

In production you would run these services within a VM, not on the host partition.

Monday, April 14, 2008 3:18 PM
  • Ya know, I see post like that everywhere around here... In a perfect world yes, however I am on a zero to ziltch budget and everything needs to happen now in my company.. THIS SUCKS.. If I had a bit more time and experience I would be running all of my core services under a VM with the server running server-core.... exspecially now that hyper-v management is out for vista.. But at the time it wasnt and I am new to windows server side components about 5/6 months in.... In saying that the crime is done now to fix the problem at hand....

DT-H - No it still is not working for me with the IPAddress setting on the proper nic... in the reg. I will see if I disable ipv6 if that resolves anything..

Thanks for the suggestions guys any other ideas are welcome..

Monday, April 14, 2008 3:38 PM
  •  

........oh yea, In my perfect world there would also be an OpenSource solution that is as good as Exchange but there isn't.. Zimbra / OpenXchange / Opengroupware do not cut it.. Now I am head deep in Microsoft services and costs. For the most part I am impressed however the dependencies on one service to another scare the *** out of me.. Its like a finely wound web wating for a bird to fly into it Smile
    Monday, April 14, 2008 3:43 PM
  •  

Still nothing guys, I have tried everything suggested, any other thoughts?
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 6:43 PM
  • I'm running into the same issue, although with a twist:

Host OS: WS 2008 std x64

Guest OS's: WS 2008 std x64

Hyper-V is latest RC, with all updates installed on host and guest.

Hardware is a Dell 1950 quad core, 8GB ram, dual built-in broadcom's, add-in intel pro-1000/PT dual.

Intel's are teamed (for connecting to SAN network)

Broadcom #1 set up for LAN access.

Virtual NIC's are correctly installed, guest OS has no problem accessing both networks, and host OS can connect to both networks.  Static IP's are set on all virtual NIC's created by Hyper-V, and the only thing checked on the physical adapter properties is "Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Protocol."

What I'm trying to do is use the host OS as the DC, providing DNS and DHCP services, and use the VM's for all the user-touched apps.  DNS installed no problem, however when I install DHCP service, I see only the SAN adapter in the available bindings list.  (not very useful, as everything on that network is statically assigned, and I really don't want to connect my SAN network to the user network).  if I remove the virtual adapters, and reconfigure the physical adapters for static IP's, both show up no problem.  Both broadcom and Intel drivers are the latest releases.

I've tried the previous suggestions in the thread, and have no "ghost" adapters present, checked to make sure that the "IPAddress" property exists (which it correctly does)...

I'm losing my mind, what am I missing?  I suppose I could run the DHCP server in a VM, but would rather not..

Friday, April 25, 2008 7:08 PM
  • Do you have any logical reason for not running the DC in a child partition? That is the recommended way to do it. Do you feel that there is something to be gained by running it in the parent partition? If so, what?

The situation with Hyper-V is rather different from Virtual Server (although personally I didn't like to run anything on the host OS even then). Once you install the hypervisor there is really very little difference between the parent and child partitions. All partitions sit on top of the hypervisor. They are more "equal" than the host/guest arrangement in Virtual Server where the guests ran through an application program on top of the host OS.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 1:58 AM
  • @Aaron@nwhs

That's the setup I'm running Smile (except for the SAN network... and I'm not running Dell... and my NIC's are Marvell's Smile)

Did you by any chance rename the SAN interface? I know it's a long shot but try renaming the network you want the DHCP server to bind to and see if that helps

Thinking back on what I did when I installed my DHCP that's the only thing I can think of that's not mentioned in previous posts

Since you have the SAN network listed in the DCHP binding page try to compare the registry for the SAN interface against the one you wish to bind to (thats how I found the missing IPAddress key)

Monday, April 28, 2008 6:21 AM
  • Similar problem here.
    Two NIC's, one DMZ, one LAN, I want some VM's to be on LAN and some on DMZ.
    And I want DNS and DHCP on Hyper-V server, not in VM.
    DNS keeps working, but DHCP dies.
    Monday, June 2, 2008 4:20 AM
  • I recognized the event 1041 which describes the error that non STATIC interface could be found to bind. So I tried to bind the interface through the DHCP mmc, no listed there. So I simply reconfigured my LAN adapter (the virtual from Hyper-V) through netsh interface ipv4 set address "..." ip subnetmask gateway

That was all.
    Friday, June 6, 2008 6:23 AM
  • d.t.h. said:

I would just like to confirm that I had the same problem and this solved it! thanks so much! :)
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 12:03 PM
  • THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I manually added a key of type REG_MULTI_SZ with the name IPAddress.  I then added the I.P. of the physical NIC and the DHCP could then bind!

Worked most of a day trying to figure this one out...

Many thanks,
    ~John
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:12 PM
  • FYI.
    googling on this same issue brought me to this discussion. although the proposed solution(s) pointed me in the right direction, it didn´t work for me.  in my case, this is a test server so the machine is also dc and dns server. after changing the value dns server from 127.0.0.1 to it´s real IP 192.168.1.xxx  on the VMM "network card"  the dhcp server could bind to that card. since then: all is well!

just thought somebody could use this info.
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 7:41 AM
  • After reading this forum, and the note about using netsh, it seemed that all you needed to do was change something on the interface and windows would write out the correct information into the registry.  

I simply changed the mask on the desired interface from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0, saved it, then changed it back.  Suddenly the interface appeared in the DHCP bindings.

BTW, I run DHCP on the Host OS so that I can get an IP address (in our isolated test enviroment) even if the Virtual environment is not running.

• Edited by Eugene3 Monday, August 4, 2008 4:10 AM Added more info
    • Proposed as answer by mkush2 Friday, August 15, 2008 12:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, August 18, 2008 2:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, August 18, 2008 2:03 AM
    Monday, August 4, 2008 4:04 AM
  • I had exactly the same problem: installed DHCP in the host, and none of the guests (sorry for the old lingo) never were able to pick up an address. I had already noticed the lack of the binding for IPv4 (and IPv6, but didn't care). The last suggestion is what I did: changed the netmask (of the Hyper-V-created adapter), applied it, changed it back, applied it, and restarted the DHCP Server service. I looked and poof, the binding was there. The guests now pick up addresses. Problem solved.

Some further background that may be helpful. This is an HP ML350 G5 server, which has only one NIC (besides the one for lights-out management which is a different thing). I installed WS08 Std x64. I configured the IP parameters (perhaps this is the problem). I made it a DC for a new domain. I installed the Hyper-V RTM update and installed the Hyper-V role, opting for external network. Much later I finally installed DHCP and found it to not work in the guests. So I'm guessing that if I had simply installed the host OS, then Hyper-V, and only after that configured any networking, I would not have had this problem. Next time through I'll do it that way. Or maybe put the DC/DNS/DHCP/etc in a guest instead.

Many thanks to all the previous people posting. Very, very helpful.

Friday, August 15, 2008 12:27 PM
  • I had exactly the same problem.After intall Hyper-V no DHCP server bindings are available ,so i tried yo reinstall DHCP server but still does not have success

After reading this topic i make "IPAddress" registry key in all GIUD keys in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet>Services>TCPIP>Interfaces ,then change Subnet Mask address of my network and return it back.

Now DHCP works Fine

I see this ot two different servers

Server 1. Windows 2008 x64 - DC ,Hyper-V ,DNS,DHCP
    Server 2. Windows 2008 x64 - DC,DNS,DHCP

Server 1 and Server 2 had identical problems with DHCP but Server 1 had some DHCP binding that still not work.After the procedure above both servers works fine.I think that the problems is not only in Hyper-V role
    Friday, August 15, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Apparently this is a bug. Indeed, when I reconfigure one of the TCP/IP settings (with the same value) on the virtual adapter I am able to bind the virtual adapter in the DHCP Server. But.... DHCP does not work! One way or another the communiction between the virtual machine and the local Hyper-V Server does not work correctly.

Any suggestions?

Boudewijn

Friday, October 17, 2008 8:13 AM
  • d.t.h_ said:

You sir, are a fine fellow. This worked for me.
    Friday, February 20, 2009 5:56 AM
  •     I also ran into issues installing Hyper-V on a DC-DHCP-RRAS server over the weekend. The idea was to then move the RRAS to a VM. Well as mentioned above DHCP stopped issuing IP addresses properly once the Hyper-V Role was installed on my Win2008 Enterprise (x64) server. Hyper-V installed fine and I installed another instance of Windows 2008. Once installed however it could not get network connectivity though a the server's NIC was configured fr it. RRAS VPN stopped issung valid, internal IP addresses as well, however, it did issue 169.x.x.x addresses. I could look at the VPN connection details and see the server IP address (also a 169.x.x.x) and connect to resources using that IP. 

Anyway after reading this thread I added the value to the registry suggested to the interface that did not have IPAddress listed as a REG_MULTI_SZ value. I rebooted. After I did that clients could get DHCP addresses, however they were unable to access file shares. I was unable to RDP into the server within the network. VPN did not work. 

The time I had ran out so I simply uninstalled the Hyper-V role and rebooted. All was back to normal, and RRAS was issuing IP addresses from the DHCP pool again. My guess RRAS complicated things in this scenerio.

I plan to give Hyper-V a go again onc eIhave time after office hours (this is not a mission critical project, but will be in the next few months...I want to get it done now). My plan is to uninstall RRAS from my server. Install Hyper-V again. Once I so that, from what I have read I can either make a small NIC change (like subnet then change it back) to get the required registry entry, or add it manually. At that point I should have Hyper-V connectivity as well as a properly working DHCP server. Then I will install RRAS on a VM.

Does this approach sound logical with a good possibility of success for those hwo have been down this road? Would it be better to install anothr NIC in the server and set it up as the primary Hyper-V interface? Would this avoid the DHCP binding issues?
    Monday, May 18, 2009 7:52 PM
  • I have a perfect configuration right now without problems. You need to do the following.

1. Make sure you have two network interfaces.
    2. Configure the first interface to have your normal IP Address configuration as with a single server.
    3. Configure the second interface without any protocol or service bindings(, only the "Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Protocol"). It's just important that there is no IP Adddress configured and such.
    4. Enable or better say virtualize the second interface adapter.

You are right to go (however you say that in English ;). Everything like WDS/BDT, TFTP, DHCP, it all works fine. Your Virtual Machines also use a seperate interface.

Let us know if this helped you out.

Boudewijn

Monday, May 18, 2009 8:56 PM
  • I have a perfect configuration right now without problems. You need to do the following.

1. Make sure you have two network interfaces.
    2. Configure the first interface to have your normal IP Address configuration as with a single server.
    3. Configure the second interface without any protocol or service bindings(, only the "Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Protocol"). It's just important that there is no IP Adddress configured and such.
    4. Enable or better say virtualize the second interface adapter.

You are right to go (however you say that in English ;). Everything like WDS/BDT, TFTP, DHCP, it all works fine. Your Virtual Machines also use a seperate interface.

Let us know if this helped you out.

Boudewijn

It just worked. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. PERFECT instructions! I decided $35 was not too much to pay for a gigabit Intel PCIx Nic vs. messing around with a spare. I have an x64 based server anyway so all I had was an old PCI card which had no 64 bit drivers.

Anyway I followed your instructions and it worked great. I went with a decent desktop nic because this is a very small business I'm working with (if not I'd not be running the AD server as the Hyper-V host :) ). I may work on creating an AD VM and moving transferring all AD needed services to that VM just to achive more of the ideal.

So in summary... $35 isn't to omuch to pay for dual nics. I think this is the best solution. Hyper-V with one nic is just duct-taping the problem.

Anyway thanks so much.
    • Proposed as answer by Dayron Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:17 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:17 PM
  • Hi brett98977 ,

Maybe you should try to reinstall your NIC driver. I have seen a good guide on this problem at:

Microsoft Windows 2008 Hyper-V RC Upgrade problems

If that did not work then you should try:

DHCP is not working on MS Windows 2008 Hyper-V

I believe that should help.

Enjoy,
    Erick
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 4:44 PM