RPC Service registry entry RRS feed

• Question

• Issue with RPC service starting.  Following the steps in KB article 322756, deleted registry entry HKLM...LEGACY_RPCSS as instructed by KB article in order to restart service.  Worked according to plan as service now started, but my questions are, does this registry entry need to be keyed back in?  If so, how would I go about keying it in?  Will it at some point be keyed back in by the system?  Thank you for any assistance.  PatrixUSA | XP Pro SP3

Sunday, August 12, 2012 6:21 AM

All replies

• Following the steps in KB article 322756, deleted registry entry HKLM...LEGACY_RPCSS

It's KB 838428, not 322756.

but my questions are, does this registry entry need to be keyed back in?

I do not have HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ROOT\LEGACY_RPCSS key on my working Windows XP SP3 installation.

So no, the key does not have to be added back. 

Sunday, August 12, 2012 7:23 AM
  • Thanks Swap... apologies for the inaccurate KB reference.  If anyone else can check in to advise if this registry key appears on their system to ascertain if this is common.  Not that it needs to be answered but it begs for discussion, why was this registry key on my system and what does it do?  Malicious or normal to appear.  Thanks. PatrixUSA | XP Pro SP3

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:03 PM