Windows 7 crash and reboot automatically kernel-power error (Part 2) RRS feed

• General discussion

• This thread is continued from here.
    IT Pro Audience Manager for Web Forums
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:03 AM

All replies

• [quote="Hypnotiq"]I am having this same problem on a i7 930 stock cooling. currently running 1 2gb of ocz ram and a 460gtx video card my event log is below[/quote]

What ram speed are you using and what exact model of OCZ memory do you use?

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Try a lower speed memory spec - get a 800Mhz and then see - if it does crash /bluescreen/black screen again

Cheers
    Mani

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:26 PM
  • @ PassionFly1 : It is shocking to see that 800Mhz DDR3 is so hard to get in the UK market. Requested modules from Kingston itself as we are tied down due to the limits of BIOS. I am still waiting to update my results but hopefully within this week I shall get the 800Mhz module. MS Support nukes me saying they have never been reported of this issue before. Just that it feels so strange that how come they themselves are not even willing to accept that someone else (many of us) have reported it so many times.

This is such a major thread and an evidence to support that MS is just simply ignoring it. Wonder where it will take if this is not sorted out in near future. Especially looking in at the enterprise environment, it is a major disaster.

thanks for your feed back - I will install the new 4.0 of .NET once I have collected the memory dumps for Microsoft to look in at this issue.

Cheers
    Mani

I am using DDR2 not DDR3 memory as my motherboard won't allow DDR3. That may be the reason you can not find it most DDR3 is like 1200mhz and faster I presume with maybe a few exceptions running @ 1066 DDR3.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:30 AM
  • @Passionfly : Finally able to get the DDR3 from Kingston at 667Mhz and 800Mhz but now for some reason the black screens have stopped happening so not sure which machines to test it on.

As soon as one of the machine crashes we will put the memory into the Laptop and see if it makes it any different.
    Shall update you soon.

"Do it yourself, before you think someone else will" - Mani Babbar - 18.08.10
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:26 AM
  • It seems that by problem was "too good memory". My mobo could not handle the 2.2v that the memory needed. Changing to 1.8V memory solved my problem, completely and for good.
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 6:18 PM
  • yeah I'm beginning to feel that running the memory chips hot at max speed even tho the BIOS allows those speeds and voltage may be why the OS is freaking out. But even so why does this problem not surface in Vista or XP at all only Windows 7???
    Monday, September 13, 2010 4:59 PM
  • I run into the same thing with WIN7 after a few updates from Microsoft. I have called my manufacturer and they told me to restore the PC to the manufactured date. I don't see how this will help me much, since I have to update my computer all over again! And most likely the updates are going to cause the same problem! I will check it on what the update is and post it after my computer finishes chkdsk. It is also running memory check. I have Avira antivirus, it is up to date, run Luke Filewalker for three times now after each time I updated it. Nothing was found but I am afraid this is not going to end up pretty. It is certainly not fun to be in the middle of my work and boom "what happened?" comes to mind. It is frustrating. All of you gave great responses, but so far I would like to find an answer to this problem as early as possible.

Last thing, how do I send reports to Microsoft? I used to be able to with Vista in Problem Reports and Solutions, now there is just the Action Center, can't figure out how to send reports though. Thanks all.

Thank you so much and GB! 8)
    Friday, October 1, 2010 10:09 PM
  • I now have the same Kernel 41 problem with my brand new PC (Acer Aspire M7721). :(

System:

- Intel Core i7 920

- 12 GB RAM

- ATI Radeon 5850

- Windows 7 64bit

It happens totally radomly 2-3 times a day... no warning, no blue-screen, just like someone pulled the power plug or pushed the reset button. It does an automatic restart but all unsaved data is lost of course.  I happens while writing Emails, watching videos, listening to music, even in idle mode and one time it does is already during the starting process of windows.

I tried almost everything now to solve it - but nothing helped.

Two weeks ago I installed a new Realtek audio driver and that causes this Kernel power error 30-50 seconds after Windows 7 was started... EVERY TIME! So just in that moment the new driver would finally be activated. So I thought it could be a good idea to buy a soundcard and deactivate the onboard realtek- but now with my Creative SB it is still the same. Just a few minutes ago it crashed again.

I don't know what to do next...

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:55 PM
  • I was having the same problem for 9month,s with Event Viewer showing all 5 codes as x0 x0 x0 x0 x0 and the problem would got worse, until I changed my mother board which was only 10 months old ASUS P5Q-SR2. My system is now running perfect without a hitch. I went through ____ changing hardware and software but none of it worked or was short lived. I read a lot of forum members blaming Microsoft win7 for the problem, try my solution if you have a spare mobo.
    Felix
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 12:49 AM
  • Hi all,

I have the exact same problem. In fact, I've had this error appear on multiple occasions over the past year. I've tried Googling, making threads on various different forums and I'm yet to have a solution to the problem.

This problem has only ever happened when running Windows 7, never when I was running Windows XP or Windows Vista.

I've noticed that my computer never crashes when I'm playing a game or using Microsoft Office to do college work, it always occurs when I'm browsing using Firefox. When the computer does crash, I don't get a BSoD, or automatic restart, instead it just hangs and nothing will happen which then results in me having to hit the power button to restart the computer.

System specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)

Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Intet Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz (2CPUs)

3072MB RAM

DirectX 11

NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

The last error I had, which was the morning, is the one shown below.

- < Event xmlns =" http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event " >
    - < System >
      < Provider Name =" Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power " Guid =" {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4} " />
      < EventID > 41 </ EventID >
      < Version > 2 </ Version >
      < Level > 1 </ Level >
      < Task > 63 </ Task >
      < Opcode > 0 </ Opcode >
      < Keywords > 0x8000000000000002 </ Keywords >
      < TimeCreated SystemTime =" 2010-10-28T10:17:29.781250000Z " />
      < EventRecordID > 92558 </ EventRecordID >
      < Correlation />
      < Execution ProcessID =" 4 " ThreadID =" 8 " />
      < Channel > System </ Channel >
      < Computer > Chris-PC </ Computer >
      < Security UserID =" S-1-5-18 " />
      </ System >
    - < EventData >
      < Data Name =" BugcheckCode " > 0 </ Data >
      < Data Name =" BugcheckParameter1 " > 0x0 </ Data >
      < Data Name =" BugcheckParameter2 " > 0x0 </ Data >
      < Data Name =" BugcheckParameter3 " > 0x0 </ Data >
      < Data Name =" BugcheckParameter4 " > 0x0 </ Data >
      < Data Name =" SleepInProgress " > false </ Data >
      < Data Name =" PowerButtonTimestamp " > 0 </ Data >
      </ EventData >
      </ Event >

If anymore information is needed, just ask.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:46 AM
  •   < Provider Name =" Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power " Guid =" {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4} " />
    - < EventData >
      </ EventData >
      </ Event >

If anymore information is needed, just ask.

read here under scenario 3:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 11:47 AM
  • It has occurred to me that this can be either a hard ware or software failure. But changing motherboard is like changing a brain, it becomes a whole new computer and it's expensive. I have only used my Win 7 once in the past 3 weeks to update it, I miss using it very much. Yep it’s sitting on my desk like a paper weight. Never thought the day would come when I have to trade in a new computer for an old one. lol. At this rate, I think it is better for me to send it to Acer for a checkup like Acer suggested. For everyone if your computer is in Warranty I highly suggest calling the manufacturer or whomever your warranty is with and send your computer in for a checkup. There should be no personal cost, unless the warranty has limits. Good Luck!

GB

Thank you so much and GB! 8)
    Friday, October 29, 2010 6:24 AM
  • I meant only to suggest changing motherboards to pin point if there is a problem. That is one of the ways you will find out what is causing the problem, the reason being that your system closes down so fast that it does not even give the chance of recording a bug code. They all record 0x0 0x0 0x0 at first you will find that you will be able to restart your computer with the power button and after a while it will get worse, you wont be able to start it at all unless you switch the power off from the rear or wall and leave it for a while. Just borrow a second hand MB from a mate or nabour so that you could be sure it is not the motherboard.
    Friday, October 29, 2010 8:45 AM
  • I read a lot on this forum, and tried everything out. My pc reboots randomly, which happens to a lot of people here. I didn't change the Intel C-state, because I can't find it in my bios. I can only find CPU Voltage override, and so on. So I didn't change anything as I'm not sure what to do.

I also read trying to change the RAM MGz from 1333 to 800, but as I use this pc for 3D applications (Poser) and HD rendering, I don't know if this will affect the performance of my pc. If this solves my problem and I still can work in Adobe After Effects, Poser and Adobe Premiere, why not. But I have to be sure.

I ran Memtest, and found no errors.

I also installed framework 4.0

I'm desperate, because I have to finish a video clip, but rebooting 7x in just a few hours is very frustrating.

Configuration of my pc:

Case: A+ Case CS - WindTunnel

Processor: Intel Core 2 quad CPU Q9650 3 GHz

RAM: 8 Gb dual channel (4 bars of 2 Gb in dual channel), 1333 MGh

Power supply: Corsair TX 950 W

Mother board: Intel BOXDP45SG Skyburg S775 P45 ATX

I hope I provide enough information. If not, please let me know what I still have to mention.

Thanks for helping me. By the way: in the first page of this thread I read something in Dutch (I'm Dutch speaking), and nobody seemed to know what it meant. But you can ignore this. Somebody has changed the power settings, with no result: his pc is still rebooting.

Saturday, October 30, 2010 12:56 PM
  • Murky Red

Your problem is different as you have not posted an error report. Go to event viewer and post your error report. Andre Ziegler will help you from there on. Post the bug code.

Sunday, October 31, 2010 6:44 AM
  • Hi Love to love,

Is this the right error report:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date:          1/11/2010 10:43:46
    Event ID:      41
    Task Category: (63)
    Level:         Critical
    Keywords:      (2)
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      graphic-pc
    Description:
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
        <EventID>41</EventID>
        <Version>2</Version>
        <Level>1</Level>
        <Task>63</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-11-01T09:43:46.036411400Z" />
        <EventRecordID>80988</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>graphic-pc</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
        <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
        <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

If not, please let me know exactly what I have to do, I'm not that familiar with error reports...

Thanks already.

Monday, November 1, 2010 11:20 AM
  • Also read here under scenario 3:

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, November 1, 2010 12:40 PM
  • Hi Andre Ziegler,

I already read that page. Scenario 3 is applicable to my pc, I already checked al these steps, and performed what was needed. But my problem remains. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm a graphic designer and need this pc all day.

Thanks for your help

Monday, November 1, 2010 1:57 PM
  • Which graphics card/PSU do you have?

Monday, November 1, 2010 2:55 PM
  • My graphic cards is an Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 - 1 GB GDDR3

I already updated the driver. I can't do a clean install, because as soon as I uninstall the standard Windows driver, it reinstalls itself before I can install the NVidia driver. The only thing I can do is launch the Nvidia driver installation, and I suppose that the standard Windows driver will be upgraded with the driver of Nvidia. I read on the forum of Nvidia that people had problems with their driver, in combination with their Wacom Intuos tablet, which I also use, but this is a while ago, and I continued to update the driver. If the driver causes the problem, I don't know anymore what I can do, because there's no newer one available.

Monday, November 1, 2010 6:33 PM
  • I had the same problem with the kernel-power 41 issue (bugcheck 0) - replaced the ram and psu but still happened.  But finally found the fix:  Try this

1st Uninstall your sound driver (mine was Sigmatel) & Reboot

2nd Download DriverSweeper from http://www.phyxion.net/Products/Products/Driver-Sweeper and install it

3rd  Tick the ASUS Sound, Creative Sound and Realtek Sound, then press ANALYSE - when the results are shown press CLEAN.  Reboot as directed

4th Reinstall correct sound driver for your system - reboot if prompted

And thats it - worked for me

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:16 PM
  • greetings

i have been having the same problem since 10/2010. i am using msi GX799 EXTREME, nvidia 8600 m.

the laptop suddenly shuts down on its own and doesn't restart again unless i press the power button, the timing at which this happens varies but the longest time i had been able to use the machine without shut dow was about 4 hours. however the machine shuts down allot quicker if i use high intensity applications such as 3ds max or maya

- < Event xmlns =" http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event " >
    - < System >
      < Provider Name =" Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power " Guid =" {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4} " />
      < Version > 2 </ Version >
      < Level > 1 </ Level >
      < Task > 63 </ Task >
      < Opcode > 0 </ Opcode >
      < Keywords > 0x8000000000000002 </ Keywords >
      < TimeCreated SystemTime =" 2010-10-01T12:31:54.420019200Z " />
      < EventRecordID > 112947 </ EventRecordID >
      < Correlation />
      < Execution ProcessID =" 4 " ThreadID =" 8 " />
      < Channel > System </ Channel >
      < Computer > abubaker </ Computer >
      < Security UserID =" S-1-5-18 " />
      </ System >
    - < EventData >
      </ EventData >
      </ Event
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:30 PM
  • Well i  think ive managed to find the culprit - it wasnt the sound drivers but my intel wifi 5300 driver

I knew it was a driver issue as the kernel power error never occurred during safe mode, so it was just a matter of deleting a driver one by one (delete a driver, wait for a crash. delete another, wait for crash etc)

Came to the intel wifi driver (version 13) and seems to be stable now - not a crash in the last 42hrs (ps just let windows find the best driver software which turns out to be microsofts own driver 12.4.1.4 but works just as well)

BTW i replaced the RAM with 2 new modules & replaced PSU with universal 90w adapter but still had the fault (luckily enough i managed to get a refund on both)

So...... try uninstalling your wifi card, use the stock microsoft drivers and see how you go

Saturday, November 20, 2010 7:41 PM
  • Well 4 days of constant testing and not a single crash - seems like the culprit was my wifi 5300 driver after all

But theres one thing i cant believe:  Sooooo many posts on this subject, sooooo many people having the same error, soooo many people not sure what is causing it,  yet not 1 response to my post which may just fix the problem for some

Really really strange indeed

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:13 PM
  • One more data point:

New Dell Lattitude E6510. Windows 7 64bit machine crashes spontaneously at random times, even under light to minimal load.

- System

- Provider

[ Name]  Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
       [ Guid]  {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]  2010-11-25T15:06:22.216003000Z

EventRecordID 11768

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID]  4
       [ ThreadID]  8

Channel System

Computer (removed)l

- Security

[ UserID]  (removed)

- EventData

BugcheckCode 209
      BugcheckParameter1 0x68
      BugcheckParameter2 0x2
      BugcheckParameter3 0x1
      BugcheckParameter4 0xfffff88003a382e0
      SleepInProgress false
      PowerButtonTimestamp 0

Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:47 PM

• - EventData

BugcheckCode 209

209 = 0xD1 = Bug Check 0xD1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.

To see the cause I have to take a look at the dumps with the Debugging Tools for Windows.

Please start the Windows Explorer and go to the folder C:\Windows\Minidump. Next, copy the dmp files to your desktop, zip all dmp into 1 zip file and upload the zip file to your public Skydrive [1] folder and post a link here.

André

[1] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:17 PM
  • The Minidump folder is empty for me. I am having the same problem and was hoping to find a solution here. Right now Driver Sweeper is cleaning all of my drivers, and maybe a fresh start will fix it.
    Monday, December 6, 2010 8:44 AM
  • I started having this problem since yesterday. My system config: Core i5 processor, Win7 x64, 6GB RAM.

What I did is used this link ( http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2008/11/01/how-to-debug-kernel-mode-blue-screen-crashes-for-beginners.aspx ) to debug the memory.dmp file (in windows folder). Followed the instruction properly. Found out that it's "teefer2.sys" that is causing the problem. Googled this file name and found out that it's a known Symantec Endpoint Protection issue. I have uninstalled it. I am hoping this will resolve the issue.

I would suggest to debug the dump file to find the culprit. Hope this helps.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:50 PM
  • sptd.sys (Part of daemontools) has plagued my machine with random BSOD's since I first installed it on my old hardware.

Recently updated most components and still experienced the issue after a complete reinstall (video card and psu carried over from old build).

Extremely annoying as the only indicator most times is a kernel_power event in the Event Viewer. This was extremely rare on my old build, but on the new build more frequent, although still random and no explanation from the OS. I would come home or get up in the morning and the computer had restarted over night. Not BSOD, just restart like someone held the power button or pulled the plug (code 0).

On the new build, same thing. But occasionally, I'd get a BSOD, either memory_management or irq_pool errors. Once one of these occured, the system would spiral out of control, even on reboot, services would stop, fail, programs wouldn't open, then BAM... another BSOD. Ram wasn't being cleared on powered reboot either. I need to physically pull power to the board to reset it. Then the machine might be fine for days, until it happens again. Figured something memory related, but again, new memory, and it tested fine.

Then one day i got a BSOD with sptd.sys (probably the 25th-30th bluescreen since the build) conputer rebooted, and Windows wouldn't start.  So did a repair, and after I got back into Windows, noticed stpd.sys was no longer functioning.  So I've removed Daemontools and the sptd driver, I haven't had an issue since. Machine has run sweet for month without a restart.

I tried everything else in this thread.  Disable the scheduled task mentioned, Realtek driver, Intel Speedstep in the bios as well as C-State, slowed my 1600Mhz RAM to 800Mhz, Disabled sleep modes and any other settings I could find related to power saving or processor modifiers.  Nothing fixed it.  It was this driver.  Basically this is just for reference incase anyone else runs into this problem. Looking at a couple of MS threads, its extremely common, although I didn't find my solution here, it had some good info to point me in the right direction.

Luckily it happened to my own machine and not a customers machine, because the time I spent resolving this issue was phenomenal.

Extremely long thread here (these threads):

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/a611d79d-9865-4a8e-917b-74b0a891912f/

and continues here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/800b2a17-1ffa-440d-a5f8-955290689323

Hope this helps some people.

My hardware for reference:

ASUS P7P55D-E LX Motherboard
    Intel i7-870
    4x Geil Black Dragon 2GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    EVGA Geforce GTX285
    Samsung F3 HDD
    No Raid
    No Overclocking
    Friday, December 17, 2010 12:42 PM
  • Hi! 

i had the same problem, but today i called fujitsu and they knew solution. i have atheros wlan card and they said that this atheros driver have some kind of problem about inet so they send me new driver ( v8.0.0.351) and that fixed the problem. try that! sry my english...

http://74.53.18.6/software/WLAN_Atheros_Win7.zip

Monday, December 20, 2010 6:52 PM
  • Hi, Seems it could be a lead to follow. I noticed I had this crashes under heavy network loads (mainly while downloading files). I have a RALink rt2860 WiFi PCI network card, but tried a lot of drivers for it without solution to this problem :(
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 12:32 AM
  • Hi boys.. i'm another italian boys and i have the same problems on my old pc:

- Asus a7v8x with latest bios

- 1GB DDR 400Mhz RAM

- S.Video ATI 9600 Pro with latest legacy driver 10.2

- Cpu Athlon XP 2400+

- I have add a UPS... a 1500W Ups buyed at 150€....... on ebay with newest battery...

Some time when i play Burraco with this client (http://www.burraconline.com/) my PC reboot completely... no error... no BSOD.... like a press a reset button..........

On event viewer i can view this error:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>2</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-23T17:32:26.640625000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>5311</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Computer>Diabolik-PC</Computer>
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    </EventData>
    </Event>
    I have read all reply here... and in the case 0x0 al 0 i obtain to watch the Scenario 3 here:
    How i can resolve this problems...

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:24 PM
  • 1500W PSu for this old PC? I think your RAM is faulty. Check it with memtest.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:44 PM
  • It might just be a coincidence but I haven't had a single crash since I installed Service Pack 1 for Windows 7.

And now having said that, I can probably expect my machine to crash.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:11 PM
  • 1500W PSu for this old PC? I think your RAM is faulty. Check it with memtest.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221

Lol... bigger it's better than smaller :)

Ok i try to use memtest.......

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 9:17 PM
  • Hello guys,

I`m sorry,i usually dont ask for help,but now i feel hopeless.

I have the following configuration:

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer Manufacturer Intel Corporation
    Computer Model DP67BG
    Operating System (O/S) Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1
    Operating System Build (O/S) (build 7601), 64-bit
    Operating System (version) 6.1.7601
    System RAM 8.0 GB
    CD or DVD Device ATAPI iHAS124 B ATA Device
    System Hard Drive Overview
    System Total Storage Size: 298.1 GB
    CD or DVD Device XIR R8XQRO5I3 SCSI CdRom Device

Graphics Product [1] NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Manufacturer Intel
    Model Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Intel Processor analysis tools Intel Processor analysis tools
    CPU Speed 3.3 GHz
    Power Source                                       Corsair 650W HX
    and i get the following error:
    - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
     <EventID>41</EventID>
     <Version>2</Version>
     <Level>1</Level>
     <Task>63</Task>
     <Opcode>0</Opcode>
     <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-08T02:40:45.942811300Z" />
     <EventRecordID>5144</EventRecordID>
     <Correlation />
    <Computer>Trapez-PC</Computer>
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    </EventData>
    </Event
    I already installed the operation system twice,no luck,this error is following me.I checked RAM memory with MemTest,is fine,same is my HDD.....so i dont know what to do anymore,please enlight me if you can because this is becoming very frustrating.Thank you very much.
    Friday, April 8, 2011 5:04 PM
  • So I have owned my current home-built PC for about 5 years now. For the last 3 years I have spontaneously had spurts of random reboots that would occur in the middle of all sorts of activities albeit gaming, photo/video editing, word processing, or even simply surfing the web. These reboots always appeared random and at times would occur within 10 minutes of each other. There is never a blue-screen, just a complete power cycle. I have run Windows XP, Windows 7 32bit, and currently I am running Win 7 64bit on this PC.

1) My first attempts to solve the problem were complete reformats: Results were temporary relief, sometimes for months on end.
    2) As I researched more, I began to measure my component's temperatures: All my temperatures were regular and even by stressing them I could not force the reboot.
    3) Received personal advice that faulty RAM could often be the culprit: Have run Memtest dozens of time and replaced old RAM with no avail.
    4) 6 months ago the same problem occurred so I opened my PC to take a look and found a wireless card seated uncomfortably close to m video card: This fixed the restarts immediately and gave me 6 months of no reboots.

I just returned from vacation (running away from Augusta to escape Masters insanity) and knew I had a problem the day I left. I stream music from my PC and lost connection the first day I left town. Upon returning today, my PC has restarted a good 6-7 times so I'm once again baffled by the situation. I have just found the Windows Event Viewer and made an interesting discovery! I have been receiving Kernel-Power 41 errors every hour for the last week while I was gone. I put a few event times in excel and they literally occur within 1 hour of each other give or take 30 seconds. Currently preparing to witness my hourly reboot in a few minutes here...

I am not sure where to go next other than slowly replacing hardware and I am currently trying this method of disabling this scheduled task. The climate in GA gets warmer and more humid this time of year and I did have my A/C off while I was out of town however I doubt it ever got more than 78º in my house. I'm still not convinced it's a temp issue since the MOBO thermometer never showed anything of concern. Figured I'd share my experience here and maybe learn a thing or two while I read through. 

Monday, April 11, 2011 2:07 AM
  • Hi everyone, just encountered this issue where Windows 7 keeps restarting itself for no reason. I have checked the mobo, graphics cards, fans, power supply, heat etc. All seems to be fine and I am suspecting my Windows 7 x64 is the curlprit.

My config :

Intel Q6600

Gigabye UD3L

Seagate 80GB

Western Digital 250 GB

Western Digital 2TB

DVD-ROM

Gigabyte 256MB RAM graphics card

.... I am trying to reinstall a new Windows 7 x64 in another HDD and see if it works.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 12:22 PM
  • I had the lockups with WIN 7 .. I changed my powersupply... after every other part except DVDROM. tested CPU, RAM, drivers,  So far it's solved. 
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:33 PM
  • What I did is that I chnaged the C-state in the BIOS since it has been mentioned on other boards and so far it has been stable for the last couple of hours.
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 11:51 PM
  • I have this BSOD's  for about 1,5 years. Now, I found the SOLUTION. The bios set the standard 1,5 volt for my OCZ platina DDR3 memory. But it must be 1,65 volt. It works!!!!!!. For more than one week no more BSOD's.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 12:44 PM
  • I'm starting to have trouble again with my computer completely freezing. The only way to function the computer again is by turning it off and on again. A classic in the troubleshooting world.

I've tried more possible solutions such as removing programs from startup incase something that is booting up at startup is causing the computer to crash, but nothing seems to work successfully.

I've checked event viewer and I have a whole load of Event ID 41, Catagory 63 under critical - 9 in total in the last week.

I'm surprised Microsoft haven't found a solution to this yet as this problem has been going on for some time now!

Sunday, June 12, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Similar issue here. Installed Windows 7 64bit on Advantech Sandy Bridge MB AIMB-272 (first engineering sample in the US) with 8GB Transcend RAM, Intel Core i7 CPU - 2710QE @2.1GHz, 100W Jetway-JC114 case PS, Sony Optiarc slimline BD, 80GB Intel uSATA SSD with OS + 1TB WD SATA.

Event ID - 41 - Kernel Error shows up in Event viewer only after allowing windows to install the important updates.  After the shutdown option installation of these 23-26 updates the unit will boot up and the instant the Windows 7 background comes up it shuts down.  I can get back to previous operation by using the last restore point.  Plan to narrow it down a bit to the exact update but was hoping for a clear solution that covered multiple scenarios.  Doesn't seem to be a silver bullet available.

Since Advantech did not appear to have some of the intel drivers I needed such as namely the intel management engine which I was hoping would enable HDMI audio out after seeing a post in a forum about needing that. I downloaded the Driver Performer software on the SpeedFan download site and paid the $29.99 fee to have it "automatically" download drivers for me.  Still being locked out of the intel download site several days after requesting access and not being able to find the driver anywhere else, this program was awsome by going in downloading the drivers for the Intel Management Engine and detected other drivers that should have been updated as well.  I was going through the process of having driver performer install, "fix it now", all the drivers and I started to get this windows shut down issue on boot.  It only happened after using the shutdown option.  It did not happen when I just did a restart after installing a driver.  It is the windows critical updates that get installed during a shutdown as opposed to just a restart.  Note that I had automatic updates turned on.  Using system restore from the F8 menu I could always get back to a point prior to the critical updates.  I turned off automatic critical updates and was able to install all the Driver Performer downloads with no shutdowns on boot.  Now I am left with how to install all the important security updates without a shutdown error on boot and then be able to turn on automatic updates again so I will be protected automatically going forward.

A lot of these critical updates are security updates for Microsoft Office 2007.  I tried just choosing those and it happened. I tried just installing Windows 7 Service pack 1 and it happened.  Seems like it may be difficult to narrow down because it happened in both cases.

I'll post any resolutions I find but seems like it is going to be painful.  I read in a Microsoft Forum Post Reply that I can call Microsoft and get support for FREE because the issues are definitely related to installing the security updates.  They provide free phone support in those cases.

I feel this is definitely a Software issue!  Speedfan shows the CPU is running below 50C usually although I do need to get some grease for some even better cooling.  The Directron.com PGA 9800 CPU heatsink just had the thin grey thermal pad.  Seems to be doing ok with just that though.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Well, I said I would post the resolution.  First off, the grey thermal pad is designed to BE the thermal grease so the cooling should have been fine except for one problem.  It appears that even though this CPU fan and heat sink was designed for this socket type and hence the Core-I7 I am using, the use of an Intel SSD with this fast processor appears to go so fast that the cores heat up to the BIOS shutdown limit of 80C in the blink of an eye.  They are so fast together probably because of the asynchronous nature of the data being passed between them (what gets put out on the bus is immediately processed) and there is no programmatic throttling mechanism to stop thermal runaway.  This may have been happening when booting after updates were installed but I am not certain because I could not record any temperature information during boot.  I discovered this within windows 7 during a virus scan by AVG.  I started the scan and then several seconds later the unit restarted.  After it booted up again I ran Speedfan with the charting option and started the scan again.  The temperatures again spiked very quickly to almost 80C.  I was able to install all the Microsoft updates eventually even with the occasional uncommanded shutdown.  The behavior dissipated the more software updates were installed.  It would appear that the only solution to this behavior with SSD's and fast processors together would be more CFM on the fan since there likely isn't any program or BIOS throttling to be had to stop it.  If anyone knows differently please post it.  For now everything is stable and I haven't had any more shutdowns even when running AVG but I will keep my eyes open for it and add a better fan if it does happen.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 12:47 AM
  • There doesn't seem to be a definitive solution to this error occuring. In my experience, my computer does not automatically shut down and restart or show a BSOD, it just hangs but never comes back to life again. The error occurs whilst I'm using Firefox mostly. I'll be browsing and then suddenly the computer will lock up. I try CTRL, ALT, DEL and ESC to see if anything happens but on every occasion so far I've had to turn the computer off via the power button on the tower.

I may try using a different browser and see if the same happens. If the same happens, I can only assume that the problem is within the PC itself or something I'm running is causing the crash. However, the latter is probably unlikely.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:41 PM
  • My newest ACER is only two months old. During those two months I've asked ACER for help with this trouble and they first gave me a new computer, then changed the hard drive from the new new computer then suggested I wipe the new new computer's new hard drive and re-install Windows 7. So, in case all the new new new stuff has confused you it goes like this:

new machine, so very new that ACER replaced it

second new machine got new hard drive instead of total computer replacement

new hard drive on second new machine got wiped - twice now - and my back ups failed the second time so don't get me started on what I've lost....

BUT - I think it might be Windows 7 rather than my new new cleaned wiped hard drive.... 

Monday, July 25, 2011 9:03 PM
  • HEY

LA SOLUTION A VOTRE PROBLEME (et qui etait le mien ) : il faut telecharger un hotfix :

LES MECS , il faut prevenir tout le monde que la solution au probleme apres ajout d'un peripherique qui consomme beaucoup d'energie ou pic d'energie alors windows 7 plante :deux hotfix sont requis ou un de ces deux :

Windows6.1-KB979444-x86
     et  celui la ce n'est pas sure (Windows6.1-KB983615-x86 )

tu le recherche sur google tu le trouve sur le site
    http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=11707

Ce probleme a fait changer a beaucoup de monde des carte graphique et des cartes mere et des PSu

Bonne chance a tous

Sunday, September 4, 2011 9:14 PM
  • I have been experiencing this problem for 8 months and it's driving me insane!!!!!!!!!!!

I have replaced ram and had mobo RMA'd and still my system keeps crashing with this error.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

EVENT LOG:  

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

Date:          6/09/2011 6:23:54 PM

Event ID:      41

Level:         Critical

Keywords:      (2)

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      CLIFFO-PC

Description:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event Xml:

<System>

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>2</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-09-06T08:53:54.881626900Z" />

<EventRecordID>54115</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Computer>CLIFFO-PC</Computer>

</System>

<EventData>

</EventData>

</Event>

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:10 AM
  • Murky as I have suggested above temporarily try changing your mother board with a spare one (any compatible mobo) I changed mine till I got my mobo repaired since then I have not got any problem at all.   
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 10:11 PM
  • My story:

Have been working (and playing) for years on a self built system with the following specs:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R  mobo

Intel E6850 with stock cooler

4 GB G.skill RAM

Modular Coolermaster 550 power supply

2x Samsung 320 Gb in Raid 0

Amd/Ati Radeon 5770 series

Some more internal en external hard drives.

Like said, running flawlessly for years, almost running day and night.

All of a sudden, the system was rebooting, really like if the power was shortly disconnected.

Windows recorded a kernel 41 error. Happened more frequently over time. No issues with temperatures.

Until the reboots wrecked one of the Samsung Harddrives in my Raid-0 array.

Bought a Crucial m4 128 GB SSD and a Samsung 1 TB disk. (was planning to do that anyway)

Reinstalled Windows 7 64-bit without a glitch and was able to work on it. For a day…. Then it rebooted again by itself. Couple of times in an hour. So I imagined that the power supply was going bad. Bought a new OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro power supply. Installed that, connected everything, and running again!...  For an hour, then it rebooted again and again and again.

I decided that it was time for an upgrade! Mobo or RAM defunct maybe? So I bought:

Asrock Extreme4 Gen3 mobo

Intel I5-2500K

Scythe Mugen 3 cooler

16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Put everything together and started it up. Booted up and everything ran fine even without re-installing Windows 7! For half a day….  AAAHHH!!!

Swapped the Radeon 5770 with a NVIDIA 8800 GT which was still laying around: Still spontaneous reboots… Tried to re-install Windows 7. Rebooted during the re-installation on every attempt, so I had nothing left L

As I was explaining this to a family member I realized that I had replaced everything. Everything but the case itself. It’s an older Lian Li PC-60 aluminium computer case. The Asrock motherboard has a power switch on the mobo itself, so I disconnected all power, reset  and HD led connectors and started the system from the mobo itself. It ran! No single spontaneous reboot since (running for 3 days now)

Maybe I’ll try to reconnect the connectors except the reset one but I don’t want to touch it too much anymore.

Maybe this can help other people with similar issues. But only for people with a desktop I guess. And with spontaneous reboots even before Windows has started.

G. from the Netherlands

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Just a quick reply to say Ive had similar issue. New install of 32 bit W7 on a computer thats had 64 bit W7. Main reason for move was no ATI CCC for 64 bit for my ancient card. Anyway, since installing yesterday, Ive had one overnight drop, and since putting MOH Tier one on, Ive had another 7 or so, generally every 20 mins. Thought it was some sort of heat issue or memory shortage as it seemed to be OK for a period and then bam. It actually shut the PC off entirely, andI had to switch it off at the back and on again before the power button on front would work. After slowly going through the processes and removing most of the hardware and still happening, I did as one person suggested on here of removing the ATI CCC (or AMD CCC now). Left the same driver as I was using (10.2) and started MOHT1. SO far so good, longer than Ive played it so far, I will of course come back and let people know if it doesnt work otherwise its a good un. Thanks to the person who suggested the CCC. Soon as I read it, it sort of made sense to me in my situation as this was the one thing I didnt have on the 64bit version of W7. Fingers crossed it continues for me, and good luck to others. I am pretty sure wont help most of you, as the error itself seems to have many reasons. W732bit, Asus P5KPL AM, Core2Duo6600, ATI X1950XTX, Corsair DDR2 1066c5
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:35 AM
  • ive got exact the same issue!

hardwarei7 2600k 3.4ghz
    thermaltake frio cpu cooler fan
    gigabyte ga-z68xp-ud5
    2 x asus gtx560
    2 x kingston hyperx 8g kit ddr3 1600
    120gb SSD
    2tb WD hdd
    thermaltake toughpower xt 875w psu (main suspect)
    windows 7 pro

did 3dmark11 test, memtest and things were running smooth... computer just restarts randomly... even when idle.... gives me the below error..

arrrggghhh!!!! someone pls help!

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2011-10-20T11:51:36.225210100Z

EventRecordID 3003

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4

[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer King-PC

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18
    - EventData

BugcheckCode 0

BugcheckParameter1 0x0

BugcheckParameter2 0x0

BugcheckParameter3 0x0

BugcheckParameter4 0x0

SleepInProgress false

PowerButtonTimestamp

Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:58 PM
  • i got some Problem , can Someone Help Me Pls i can't take it anymore... The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. - System - Provider [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4} EventID 41 Version 2 Level 1 Task 63 Opcode 0 Keywords 0x8000000000000002 - TimeCreated [ SystemTime] 2011-11-18T17:01:50.939614800Z EventRecordID 9563 Correlation - Execution [ ProcessID] 4 [ ThreadID] 8 Channel System Computer Frankz-PC - Security [ UserID] S-1-5-18 - EventData BugcheckCode 0 BugcheckParameter1 0x0 BugcheckParameter2 0x0 BugcheckParameter3 0x0 BugcheckParameter4 0x0 SleepInProgress false PowerButtonTimestamp 0 Please Reply ASAP, Thx...
    Friday, November 18, 2011 5:38 PM
  • I think I found the solution to this little mystery.

I was having the same problem as everyone else who is getting 0x0 for all the BugcheckParameters.  Those with BugcheckParameter error codes, I dont know if this will help you or not.

I tried all the fixes I found scattered throughout my searches:

Changing the processor power management from 5% min 100% max to 100% min and max

I ran memtest86+ for 20 hours with no problems found

Manually setting the memory timing and voltage

etc. none of these seemed to do anything to fix the issue

BUT, I noticed that these restarts only happened during games when I had first turned on my computer (I was not leaving it running at night, or it was in sleep mode).  It would happen once and then the game would run fine after the restart with no hiccups.  But one time it had finally occurred to me that my windows update was set to auto install, and after it would finish downloading and installing the updates, it would require a system restart.  The notifications would not pop up in front of the game, and the 10 minute delay timer would run out and auto restart.  I disabled the auto install of windows updates and have not had any restarting issues since.  Hope this helps.

tl,dr - disable automatic install of windows updates

Let me know if this fixes it

This was happening to me on a fresh install of Win 7 Ultimate 64bit on a new build:

AMD FX-4100+

Hyper 212 EVO cooler

Sapphire Radeon HD 6870

AsRock 970 Extreme3

Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600

500W psu, I was a little worried that this was going to be under powered, but it is not an issue

Monday, January 9, 2012 4:39 AM
  • i tried disabling automatic update install and it didn't work

i tried memory tests and bios defaults

don't know how to restore the system's defaults

also disabled dynamic cpu frequency mode (it was giving me random reboots) and cpu multi processing - disabled this and now my computer started to freeze instead of rebooting but i have more time between the freezes.

no overheating and the power source is good and i don't know if the pc is overclocking

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date:          08-02-2012 16:36:08
    Event ID:      41
    Level:         Critical
    Keywords:      (2)
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      Leonel-PC
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <EventID>41</EventID>
        <Version>2</Version>
        <Level>1</Level>
        <Task>63</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-08T16:36:08.016016700Z" />
        <EventRecordID>88118</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Computer>Leonel-PC</Computer>
      </System>
      <EventData>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

i get this every 8 minutes if i activate the dynamic cpu frequency mode and the freezes are about 30 minutes separated if i use the two cores

computer details:

ATI Radeon HD 3470

Pentium Dual Core T4200  @2.00 GHz

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit edition (with service pack 1)

Realtek High Definition audio - updated

(don't know my motherboard)

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 4:53 PM
  • ive exactly the same problem, although after allot of research i found out that this problem is being caused because of multiple sound drivers being installed.

for me e.a.

- AMD High Definition Audio Device
    - Realtek High Definition Audio Device
    - Tunebite High-speed Dubbing (some ipod crap for making shit legit..)

so far i disabled the amd and tunebite, and will see if it helps

.... to be continued

pc details:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
    ASUS 6970 DCII 2gb
    16gb kingston memory
    republic of gamers crosshair iv motherboard
    amd 1100t processor 3.3ghz*6

everything 100% updated and checked..

p.s. i get this problem once a day, sometimes 2x a day

• Edited by Hawkysoft Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:26 PM
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:18 PM
  • I have the same problem. Not sure about the sound drivers...

The last twp PC's that I have owned with the same problem were both HP's with the AMD processor (of one version or another).

<Event
    xmlns
    ="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>2</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-19T20:28:43.237613500Z" />

<EventRecordID>12845</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Computer>owner-HP</Computer>

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">209</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0xb0e5f8c8</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x2</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x1</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0xfffff880016d6e59</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:45 PM
  • I also have a problem with my W7 64bit pc that randomly reboots. I"m really not sure where to start with solutioning this issue and I hope anyone of you can help. Below is the event:

Logboeknaam:   System
    Bron:          Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Datum:         24-2-2012 23:05:22
    Gebeurtenis-id:41
    Taakcategorie: (63)
    Niveau:        Kritiek
    Trefwoorden:   (2)
    Gebruiker:     SYSTEM
    Computer:      AudioPC
    Beschrijving:
    Het systeem is opnieuw opgestart zonder eerst correct te worden afgesloten. Deze fout is mogelijk veroorzaakt doordat het systeem niet meer reageert of is vastgelopen of doordat de stroom is uitgevallen.
    Gebeurtenis-XML:
      <System>
        <EventID>41</EventID>
        <Version>2</Version>
        <Level>1</Level>
        <Task>63</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-24T22:05:22.677610800Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55764</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Computer>AudioPC</Computer>
      </System>
      <EventData>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Friday, February 24, 2012 10:57 PM
  • Hi,
    Im having same thing but reading most of the posts I came to conclusion that really hardware is to blame, I upgraded my modules some time ago but couple of times I changed locations, after that it started to happen - so - no resolved problem here yet but I'm going to remove all and re-insert all hardware - if it not fixes I'll post again here. Also if one would read all posts especially in the first part would come to conclusion that hardware is to blame - connectivity like physycal connection (highly probable), hardware internal defects (low probable).

GPS21
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 1:53 AM
  • I have had this error for months and decided that enough was enough.  I found this thread which gave me some good ideas.  My symptoms are very similar to everyone elses.  I might be browsing or watching a video and bam!!!

All my drivers and bios are up to date.  This got me thinking that it was indeed a hardware issue.  I then restarted my laptop (Dell Vostro 1320) and pressed F12 to open the one time menu.  I then selected the diagnostic test.  The tests commenced and got up to the memory test and was going fine......then bam! My laptop turned itself off.  This is the same symptom that I was getting with normal PC use within windows.

Next, I shut down my laptop, grabbed a screwdriver and popped open the bottom casing to get access to my RAM (2 x 2GB).  Within this area, there was a fair bit of dust near the fan, so I cleared all that away as I'm a bit of a neat freak!  Next, I pulled out both RAM chips and gave them a gentle clean with my sleeve.  I then reseated both RAM chips and closed up the case and restarted the laptop.  I then ran a memory test via the bios diagnostic menu again and it got way past the previous memory checks.  I decided to cancel it as the memory check was running for 15-20 minutes and it even popped up a message saying that no issues had been detected and would you like to continue.  I said yes to continue but got bored as it looked like there was no longer a memory issue.  The previous memory test that failed did so within about 2-5 minutes of memory testing.

It's too early to say whether this has fixed my particular case, but it was very interesting to get the same error when I was doing the memory tests.

I hope this helps someone.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Hi,

Can you help me analyse my dump file?

Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:35 AM
  • You could try yourself by checking out this site: http://www.networkworld.com/supp/2011/041811-windows-7-crashes.html?page=1

Essentially, download and install "Debugging Tools for Windows".  Then open your dump file and it will show you the last instruction that your computer took before it crashed.  I have used this before when investigating a BSOD.  It turned out to be a video card driver issue.  I then downloaded the new driver and my problem went away.

Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:17 AM
  • I'm calling this solved!!! .....well for me anyway. I've been trying to crash my laptop by running multiple videos at the same time and put it under a lot of stress.  Since I took out the memory chips and re-inserted them, I have not had a crash.
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:19 AM
  • Hi. I'm from Uruguay and I'm having the exact problem as described originally in part 1.

Spontaneously reboots my laptop without BSOD or dump files, no matter if I disable the automaticaly restart from the boot (with F8) or inside Windows. I have enough space in my hard drive to write a huge dump file, they are just not written.

Have run memtest twice and it reports no problem. I even changed both RAM modules with anothers and problem persist.

I have tried even with a different hard drive, including without a hard drive, running a Fedora live CD and the problem still happens!!

Moreover, I disconnected the plug and used only with batter and the strange this is that the laptop shuts down instead of rebooting. Have also tried without the battery (connected with the plug) and the problem is still present.

I give the computer to the manufacturer support and after 3 weeks they gave it back to me without knowing what the problem is (of course they charged me like 20 dolars for the service).

I found a workaround that is disabling the "Power" windows service. It seems to work up to now.

I also have tested wheter it is a temperature problem or not and discovered that computer reboots at very different temperatures of cpu0, cpu1, motherboard and hard drive, so it's totally discarded.

The curious thing is that the problem started happening alone, like 3 months ago.

By the way, the event log says the same as "Squampio" told. Same event id, same task, same process id, same thread id and same event data.

I hope we can solve this problem some day. I strongly think my case is hardware related (to motherboard), helped by software.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:10 PM
  • If any of you guys are getting the "Memory_management" BSOD error, try turning off your Dropbox and see if it runs stable. I was having the same blue screen problem.
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 9:15 AM
  • Hi All

Been reading this thread and tried everything it says. I keep getting spontaneous reboots. I could be doing anything, from a word document, browsing the web or just idling and then it goes.

I just dont know what to do anymore. Here is my specs and fault log.

Intel Core I7 930 2.8GHz

6GB Corsair Dominator memory. BLUE

Windows 8 64bit

ATI 4890 HD 1GB graphics

Asus P6x48d Premium.

- <System>
      <EventID>41</EventID>
      <Version>3</Version>
      <Level>1</Level>
      <Task>63</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-10-03T09:04:27.501016600Z" />
      <EventRecordID>2279</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Computer>Desktop</Computer>
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
      <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
      </EventData>

</Event>

Can somebody please help me as I am out of ideas.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:24 AM
  • I'm getting this error too, HP Pavillion - out of the box, no changes.  No rhyme or reason or consistency to anything I am doing.  Sometimes the display scrambles first, sometimes it just straight into reboot.  There is never a blue screen of death, but it does know that it has failed as it gives me the startup options i.e safe mode when it restarts.  I get a Critical Kernel power failure in the log, but no other clues.  Power supply is unlikely to be an issue as it runs via a UPS.  Microsoft a solution would be very welcome.

- System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}
    EventID 41
    Version 2
    Level 1
    Task 63
    Opcode 0
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2013-02-12T15:50:50.911611300Z
    EventRecordID 211921
    Correlation
    - Execution
    [ ProcessID] 4
    [ ThreadID] 8
    Channel System
    Computer JOCDesktop
    - Security
    [ UserID] S-1-5-18
    - EventData
    BugcheckCode 0
    BugcheckParameter1 0x0
    BugcheckParameter2 0x0
    BugcheckParameter3 0x0
    BugcheckParameter4 0x0
    SleepInProgress false
    PowerButtonTimestamp 0

• Edited by JOCCOMP Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:26 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:26 PM
  • hello i have been experiencing blue screens of death alot lately. it happens and it would restart afterwards i have gotten bud check codes 30 and 80 from it unexpectadly blue screening any help would be great.
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:33 AM
  • Let me add my tale of woe. I'm typically a Linux user. I have the GeForce 8400 GS 1GB and works fine in Linux with the nvidia driver. I installed Windows 7 32 bit, and it assigns the VGA driver in which I can select a resolution of 1600x1200 32 bit color. When I install the nvidia driver (I tried several versions), upon reboot I see the Windows logo screen that's just before logon and then blank until it finally forces itself to reboot. From having searched this, there is a rather long thread (ok so it's 2 threads. The first one was so long they closed it and started another) on this issue. They suggest tweaking c-states, bad ram and bad video card. That would be fine.....if it were a one off. It's not. It gives a kernel message of 41, which means the kernel didn't shut down properly (nah..really?). The dump log isn't much help.

So, in my case, I know the card works fine, since it works in Linux. So we can rule out hardware issues. So that leaves software issues. Something with the Windows kernel, ACPI (powersave), nvidia video driver, and perhaps the audio driver (perhaps realtek). This looks and smells like a bug. I just don't know who's side its on, Microsoft or Nvidia's.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:59 AM