Pesky shortcuts RRS feed

• Question

• Had to reformat my laptop after one of my kids installed Limewire on it.  After using Toshiba's recovery disks, I had to wade through uninstalling the crapware installed on the system.  I used Vista's Add/Remove programs to uninstall several programs that had shortcuts on the desktop.  The shortcuts did not get removed, so I tried to manually delete them and got a "Try again" message.  The path to the  location of the uninstalled program was shown and the report that it  couldn't be found.  Duh, I wonder why?!?!!  Could it be because I deleted the program?  What is causing this behavior?  They are definitely shortcuts.  I'm not left clicking and trying to access the deleted program.  I am right clicking and selecting "delete" to get rid of the shortcut.

I've googled the problem with no results.  I've searched the forum, but nothing.

Any and all help greatly appreciated,
    bulldog1979

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 3:15 PM

Answers

•  

Hello,

The issue can occur if you do not have enough privilege to fully delete the programs or some files are corrupt in %windir%\system32\repository.

Please log on an account with administrator rights and try the following steps:

Take ownership of the System32 folder

=============================

1. Click Start, type %windir% and press Enter.

2. Right click the System32 folder on the computer and left click on properties.

3. On the Security tab, click on "Advanced"

4. On the Owner tab, click Edit.

5. Click Other users and groups.

6. If we can see the account we use, just highlight it and click Ok. If we cannot find it, type the account we use in Windows Vista and click OK.

7. Select the account we have just added.

8. Put a check mark in "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and then click OK.

9. Right click the System32 folder on the computer and left click on properties.

10. On the Security tab, click Edit.

11. Highlight the account we just added, check Full control and click OK.

Then restart the computer, press F8 to enter Safe Mode and type the following command in the command prompt:

net stop winmgmt

cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem

ren repository repository.old

net start winmgmt

Can we delete the shortcuts on the desktop now?

-qqqlllmmm

Thursday, October 18, 2007 1:16 AM

All replies

•  

Hello,

The issue can occur if you do not have enough privilege to fully delete the programs or some files are corrupt in %windir%\system32\repository.

Please log on an account with administrator rights and try the following steps:

Take ownership of the System32 folder

=============================

1. Click Start, type %windir% and press Enter.

2. Right click the System32 folder on the computer and left click on properties.

3. On the Security tab, click on "Advanced"

4. On the Owner tab, click Edit.

5. Click Other users and groups.

6. If we can see the account we use, just highlight it and click Ok. If we cannot find it, type the account we use in Windows Vista and click OK.

7. Select the account we have just added.

8. Put a check mark in "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and then click OK.

9. Right click the System32 folder on the computer and left click on properties.

10. On the Security tab, click Edit.

11. Highlight the account we just added, check Full control and click OK.

Then restart the computer, press F8 to enter Safe Mode and type the following command in the command prompt:

net stop winmgmt

cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem

ren repository repository.old

net start winmgmt

Can we delete the shortcuts on the desktop now?

-qqqlllmmm

Thursday, October 18, 2007 1:16 AM
  • I too have this problem. Can anyone help

Monday, January 28, 2008 8:25 PM
  • Try the free Unlocker utility: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:04 PM