Why don't some News Links work on MSN's home page with Windows 7 RC and IE 8 ? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows 7 RC and IE 8 and when I click some News links on MSN's Home Page I get a blank page that says "Done" at the bottom in the left corner. It has happened at other sites like Amazon and Ebay to name a few. It also has made the full size pictures of items I'm interested in buying at certain websites like Geeks.com disappear. I'm using Kaspersky Internet Securtiy Suite for Windows 7 Workstation and I thought maybe my Security Protection Level was set too high so I actually turn it off completely and still had the same problem. I thought maybe Windows Defender might be the problem so I turned it off and still no change.

Has anybody else been having this problem ? Found a solution ?

I never have had this problem with XP Pro with IE 6, 7 or 8.

Is there some setting in Win 7 that I have set too protective ( or is by default ) that won't let me click some hyperlinks but that will let me others ?

I would appreciate any suggestions as its getting kinda frustrating after a couple of months of happening and I've tried about everything I can think of to fix it and lord I've read enuf of other folk's feedback and reviews also.

Brian
    Charlotte, NC

Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:36 AM

Answers

• There was one thing i was going to suggest before you wiped it clean was  'sfc /scannow' which restores dead files sometimes and I restored my web browsing with it once. Unfortunately there is no way to convert drivers from 32 to 64 bit vice-versa and no option to run them in compatibility. Maybe they have a 64 bit xp driver you could try on 7 but I could tell you there is really very little advantage in using the 64 bit right now when most of the programs you have install to the x86 folder and don't utilize the 64 bit architecture. Some programs are completely incompatible and as you already know there are driver issues. Driver installation for some unsigned but perfectly good ones are nearly impossible. 64 bit increases the amount of ram you can install to your board to the point where most of it would be unused. You could have up to 4 GB of ram on a 32 bit system which is more than most people would ever need in their entire lifetime so your best bet for now and for most people is to stay on 32 untill it becomes more of a standard but that's just my humble opinion. That's all I could come up with for now Brian.

Have a good one.
    Dave

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Friday, September 4, 2009 7:19 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 12:51 PM

All replies

• {some jerk deleted my post so here it is again}
    I checked those links and had no problem accessing them with my system windows 7 rc ultimate with IE8.
    Do you (a) have your addons enabled and  (b) have adobe flash player installed?
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 8:11 PM
  • Hey Mr. Seven,  I tried to find your reply after I got your post notice thru my email last nite but couldn't find it. some "jerk" deleted your post..that's rude, I mean supposedly were all here at this website to either gain more knowledge (to fix broken stuff) or to share knowledge (help others fix broken stuff). goes to show ya just can't figure some folks out.

I use MSN as my home page, actually its "my.msn", but it still carries the same stuff as MSN's home page, just that I filter out what I want, and when I click on links, like under listings such as MSNBC.com Weird News, ( i.e. "drunk mom lets 7 year old drive" ), CNET News.com, PCmag.com Breaking Tech News, etc. etc., I would click the link and it would underline it as soon as my mouse moved there and I'd click and it would take me to a page and then, poof...... nutin, and it would say "Done" at the bottom left of my screen down in the whichmacallit bar, status bar, sorry haven't had my coffee yet. Its been doing it randomly ever since I got the RC 1 back in May, I just figured that it was because the web pages weren't up to Win 7's speed yet, (this would also happen occasionally at websites such as Amazon and Ebay, plus when I would click on some parts pics at other sites to expand them, I'd get a blank spot where the enlarged pic should have been and THAT has been killing me because I supplement my income upgrading/customizing/building PC's and I like to see what I'm buying), but I have a friend thats also running the RC and he doesn't have this problem at the same sites, so I thought I might ask around for a cure, thus your reply.
    Anyway I blew my whole Sunday searching for a cure and trying all kinds of different settings of IE8, my Firewall, my antivirus, smackin the cat, bangin my head, Windows Defender, etc. with no luck, I even turned them all off and did some web surfing and the links still failed.

Soooooo, figuring it must be something in my copy of Win 7 is corrupt,  and I've tried lots of System Restore points)... I decided to play "whackamole" and I dragged everything I wanted to keep off my internal SATA 500GB Black Cavair to my external ESATA Calvary 500GB Black Cavair and REFORMATTED my drive and reinstalled all my programs back.
    Butttttttt...this time since I'm running an Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.0 cpu and a Gigabyte Mobo I decided to run the 64Bit Version of Win 7 RC1 rather than the 32bit version that I had.

Well Well Well... I don't have the problem anymore with links or enlaging pics anymore. All is fine and dandy and a bit quicker I might add. Now I'm not saying its the 64bit version that was the cure, things might have have worked better with a new copy of the 32bit.... but it works now, so I'm kool. But I'm still not sure what could have happened so I'm kinda curious to know so It doesn't happen again.... I had addons enabled too , well a couple.
    But I do appreciate your reply and effort to help.

it's like my pappy use to say " Its Only Thru Communication that Knowledge is Gained"

Oh yeah , I do have one bit of software that worked in the 32 bit version that doesn't work in the 64 bit version, its for my older Micro Innovations Trackball (Bigfoot) its got dual scroll wheels and 3 buttons, everything works fine with just the default windows software except my 3rd button, which is for a shortcut screen that lets me get a small screen that has shortcuts to my control panel, my computer, documents, command prompts, email, home page, start screen, desktop, etc. the driver is "pd100i" and I've tried a couple of other drivers that work with a similar trackball made by Belkin but that software doesn't have the 3rd button screen popup and I really love it. I did write to Micro Innovations and they said they get back to me and see if they can find a 64 bit driver, so I'll give them a day or so, but if not I'll probably switch back to the 32 bit version, because I got to have it.
    Any clue on how to make it work...I tried switching to the compatibility mode for XP for it but it still won't work right.

Brian
    Monday, August 10, 2009 11:56 AM
  • Hey Mr. 7, I just got a email from Micro Innovations that says, "there is no driver for Vista, as your Trackball was made long before Vista came out". thus I reckon there is none for Win 7. ^$%#(*% pfffffffffft....
    well ____..............but there has got to be a workaround as it worked with the 32 bit version of 7.

Do you have any idea of a fix so the driver will work in the 64 bit version ? I tried the compatibility settings but no luck...

let me know if ya come up with something.

Have a nice Monday,

Brian
    flustered in Charlotte
    Monday, August 10, 2009 12:02 PM
  • There was one thing i was going to suggest before you wiped it clean was  'sfc /scannow' which restores dead files sometimes and I restored my web browsing with it once. Unfortunately there is no way to convert drivers from 32 to 64 bit vice-versa and no option to run them in compatibility. Maybe they have a 64 bit xp driver you could try on 7 but I could tell you there is really very little advantage in using the 64 bit right now when most of the programs you have install to the x86 folder and don't utilize the 64 bit architecture. Some programs are completely incompatible and as you already know there are driver issues. Driver installation for some unsigned but perfectly good ones are nearly impossible. 64 bit increases the amount of ram you can install to your board to the point where most of it would be unused. You could have up to 4 GB of ram on a 32 bit system which is more than most people would ever need in their entire lifetime so your best bet for now and for most people is to stay on 32 untill it becomes more of a standard but that's just my humble opinion. That's all I could come up with for now Brian.

Have a good one.
    Dave

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Friday, September 4, 2009 7:19 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 12:51 PM
  • Good Morning Dave, (Mr. Seven)

"sfc /scannow" hmm thats a new one on me and I know abit about command prompts...thanks I'll try it next time instead.

I appreciate your reply & efforts to help, and I think your right about,"no real reason to switch to 64 bit". I just had another issue with some software that use to work with the 32 bit, but now it says its imcompatible.....sooooooooo I think after I check the rest of my email I'm going to Reformat back to the 32 bit. It was really wierd thou about the links on MSN's homepage not working right and the pics not showing up when I clicked to enlarge them before at other sites. I'm still not sure what caused that issue, even thou now with this fresh install of the 64bit the problem is gone. Who knows maybe I willy nilly disabled something that I shouldn't have.....

I'm curious to know what Antivirus your using with Win 7 ? Firewall ? Antispyware ? etc. ?

I've been using Kaspersky Antivirus 6.0 for Windows Workstations and its been pretty easy on resources. (I got 2GB of Dual Channel) Its got an Antivirus, Firewall, AntiSpy, Anti Spam, Anti Hacker(firewall), Mail antivirus and all that other good stuff. I've never picked up any virus', (and I do surf some questionable sites sometimes, not ____ but questionable). I've used some 3rd party Virus scanners to check up on it and I still come up clean. I've also had Windows Defender running in the background, I guess Win 7 has that happening by default ?? Although I did disable it when I was trying to fix my linkage issue. 

I really do like the boot times, user interface, etc. and in general just the feel of Win 7. I used Vista for about a year on a Computer at work but switched it back to XP Pro and both mine at home use XP Pro as does my lappy. After using the Win 7 Beta for a couple of months on my other Home computer I loaded the RC1 on this, my main rig, when it came out and I will be purchasing a Copy of it here shortly. Just not sure if I'm going to be purchasing a Volume license copy like I did with XP Pro or not, as alot of times I have people bring me their computers that have bad virus' or just inaccessible hard drives to repair and I have to install an OS for them. Any thoughts on that ? 

more coffee before I get to the reformat
    Brian
    Monday, August 10, 2009 1:27 PM