Random updates missing from WSUS store RRS feed

• Question

• Hopefully this is an easy one.

In this example I'll use KB3037576. My client says it needs it (Windows Server 2012 R2). WSUS (also 2012 R2) recognises that it needs it. But when I look at the path to the file- \\NASstorage\WSUS\WsusContent\90\blahblahblah.cab - the file just isn't there.

Any ideas? This is a brand-new set up of WSUS on a GUI version of 2012 R2. There was a minor problem with the content virtual directory, but presumably this causes clients problems, WSUS doesn't generally have problems downloading to the content location (it's done well over 100GB in 12 hours). It really does just seem to be random updates that it can't pull from the Microsoft servers.

Ta!

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 10:21 AM

All replies

• Hi rjthomas,

Based on my understanding, you found KB3037576(example) is needed by clients, while you are unable to find it in WSUS content folder. Correct me if I misunderstood.

When we sync updates from upstream WSUS server or Microsoft update server, WSUS server only download the metadata of the update which stores in SUSDB, when we approve the update for install, then WSUS server will download the update file into Content folder.

So, please check if you have approved the update. If you have approved the update, while it failed to be downloaded, then, please check WSUS event log in event viewer, check if there is event 364, it may indicate why the download is failed.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 2:03 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Sorry for the delay in responding but yes, your understanding is spot on!

I let WSUS do an initial download- 800GB, not something we can pull down overnight (or even over 5 nights) but it stopped some point over the weekend, having done 400GB. I then kicked off a wsusutil reset having failed to find a 364 error (it's possible the logs were over-written) and magically, the file for the above update I wanted is now under \content.

I can only assume that the problem was either with the \content virtual directory, or that our bandwidth just couldn't cope with the amount of data we needed to pull down so some updates got missed.

Thanks for your help and I'll keep an eye out for any 364 errors now it's running a check- the process is chronically slow even over a 1Gb link, sometimes content seems to take ages to pull down which I'm assuming are things like service packs (we also have express files switched on which I know creates larger update files).

Thanks again,

Rhidian

Monday, February 13, 2017 10:35 AM
  • Hi rjthomas,

I suppose you approve for a lot of updates at one time, so there are a lot of files to be downloaded at one time.

In addition, here are some tips:

1. It's not recommended to select "Drivers" in "Products and Classifications", since there are a lot of updates for drivers and we only need a few of them. Without "Drivers", we may save a lot of disk space;

2. If you want to increase the update download speed, we may set WSUS to download updates in Foreground mode:

1).Download and install the following tools:

Microsoft Command Line Utilities 11 for SQL Server:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36433

ODBC driver 11 for SQL:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36434

2). In CMD, direct to SQLCMD.exe path using command:

cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\110\Tools\Binn

3). In CMD, run the following command:

SQLCMD -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query –d "SUSDB" –Q "update tbConfigurationC set BitsDownloadPriorityForeground=1"

Besides, if the reply is helpful, you may "mark" the related one as answer, so that it can be highlighted.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:39 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got progress with your issue and could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if not, feel free to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:08 AM
  • Also, you probably can benefit from my WSUS Cleanup script. Unless you've turned on Express files in settings, 600GB is HUGE and I'm betting my WSUS Cleanup script would get rid of at least 200GB, if not 400GB.

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need.

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database.
    2. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining superseded updates.
    3. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    4. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    5. Compress Update Revisions.
    6. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    7. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    8. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily increase it by any configurable amount.
    9. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    10. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment, simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

and then

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -InstallTask

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Monday, May 15, 2017 12:24 AM