Blank App-V icons RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been going through the blank App-V icon issue in the forums but not able find any definite solution to the issue.

We are having a VDI environment basedon VMware View technology. We are using both persistent and stateless desktops and I have installed App-V clients in both the desktops.

I have one App-V server and the App-V clients are configured to access the applications through read only shared cache.

The folders I am redirecting are %Appdata% and Desktop.

The virtualized applications publish the icons in the desktop and start menu. When login to a virtual desktop for the first time, I am able to view the icons without any problem.

If I logoff out of the virtual desktop and login into another virtual desktop (either persistent or stateless desktop) the icon is displayed as blank while square icon, although  the application still works on launching it.

We are using View Persona Management to capture the roaming user profiles and I am not able to exlcude specific folders like "%AppData%\softgrid client\Icon Cache" folders.

How can I go about resolving this issue?

If I create a logoff script that clears the content in the "iconcache" folder under %Appdata% will this work or is there any workaround to resolve this issue?

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:28 PM

Answers

• The icons are displayed properly If I stop redirecting the %AppData% and Desktop folders. when I check the Icon Cache folder there are lot of icons with different suffix numbers and not which would be the right one that needs to be displayed.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:57 AM

All replies

• Have you tested without redirecting AppData? See the App-V client log and determine whether the icon files on disk match up to those that should be applied to the application shortcuts.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:21 PM
  • The icons are displayed properly If I stop redirecting the %AppData% and Desktop folders. when I check the Icon Cache folder there are lot of icons with different suffix numbers and not which would be the right one that needs to be displayed.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:57 AM
  • I doubt redirection of the Desktop has any effect - it's most likely AppData redirection as the cause. What solutions for profiles do you have other than redirecting AppData?

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:49 PM