Multiple run32dll.exe instances RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Recently I have had problems with the run32dll.exe file running multiple instances and each of the other instances take about 400K of memory.
    My thought is that this is a trojan, but I am unsure.
    Please let me know what I can do to solve this problem.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aaron
    Friday, May 1, 2009 10:47 AM

Answers

• Nevermind, I've found the problem
    I found that this only occured afted I ended an internet connection.
    Apparently, my browser was set with a default setting of clearing my history every time I rid of an internet conencnection.
    This also explains why every time I log on to the internet I have to keep logging in to Microsoft TechNet instead of it remembering.
    By disabling this, I was able to rid of the problem. This is not a trojan or a virus, just a simple problem.

I have done what Nicholas has asked and the file location is valid it is the same path of the system rundll32.exe except it is run through my user since I am the one hosting the internet explorer. This has occured on my other computer using the same IE8.

Thanks for all the support though. I'm sorry I mislead everyone from the start.
    Still, these forums are very helpful

Sincerely,

Aaron
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Aaron,

Thank you for posting.

To make the issue clear, please check where the run32dll.exe files locate and let us know. Please also see if the system become slow or there is something abnormal.

At this time, please perform a full-system scan with your Anti-virus software and see if there is any infection.

Meanwhile, you can also contact your antivirus vendor for assistance with identifying or removing virus or worm infections. If you need more help with virus-related issues, contact Microsoft Product Support Services.

For information about Security updates, visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy. If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, May 4, 2009 9:55 AM
  • The computer does become very slow but I do not know where it is running from. It is not from the system, the process is from my user and it has no properties. The system rundll32.exe has properties from Microsoft and gives a location. The rundll32.exe that uses large amounts of memory and slows the computer is running under my username and does not have any properties such as the location.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 1:05 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

To determine where the file locates, you may try the following steps:

1.    Open Task Manager, go to the Processes tab.

2.    Right click on the process “run32dll.exe”, and select Open File Location.

3.    Then an Explorer window will appear and you can find the file “run32dll.exe” in the location.

After performing the steps, please just give me the Path in the Address Bar of the Explorer Window.

Meanwhile, please also let me know if you have scanned the system with your Anti-Virus software and how it works.

Thanks for your efforts.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:48 AM
  • Nevermind, I've found the problem
    I found that this only occured afted I ended an internet connection.
    Apparently, my browser was set with a default setting of clearing my history every time I rid of an internet conencnection.
    This also explains why every time I log on to the internet I have to keep logging in to Microsoft TechNet instead of it remembering.
    By disabling this, I was able to rid of the problem. This is not a trojan or a virus, just a simple problem.

I have done what Nicholas has asked and the file location is valid it is the same path of the system rundll32.exe except it is run through my user since I am the one hosting the internet explorer. This has occured on my other computer using the same IE8.

Thanks for all the support though. I'm sorry I mislead everyone from the start.
    Still, these forums are very helpful

Sincerely,

Aaron
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

Thank you for your update.

I am glad that you have found the problem. Also, the information you shared with us is very helpful and valuable.

If you need help in the future, please feel free to post a new thread to our forum and we will do our best to help you.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:04 AM
  • I have recently run into the same problem.  I have a run32dll.exe process that is starting multiple IE8 processes in the background.  I can stop the IE processes but they restart after 30 seconds or so.  I noticed memory and cpu utilization increase from the run32dll process right before the browser processes would reopen.  Killed the run32dll process and the browser processes stopped restarting themselves. 

I checked my virus definitions and they are up to date.  Ran virus scan and nothing.  When I open IE8, it is very slow.  When I open firefox, I click a link for something in my yahoo search results and am directed to a page I did not select and my anti virus warns me the page may be unsafe. 

The run32dll that is giving me issues is in the sysWOW64 directory.  I have looked at the file properties and it states it has not been updated since 2009 (2012 now) and is a microsoft file.  I am at a loss right now.

Cam

Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:21 PM