none
How Do I Properly Configure Sequencer PC RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to App-V, so would appreciate any feedback.

I've configured a virtual PC, running Window XP SP2 as my sequencing machine. And I've partitioned it according to Microoft's best practices. C: drive used for OS and Q: drive for application. 

I just want clarification regarding the use of the Q: drive:

When sequencing\monitoring the install of an application, should the application be installed in the Q: directory instead of the default location C:\Program files?

Why is this necessary?

Thanks,
    Myron

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 3:39 PM

Answers

• I am unconvinced about the performance statement that Microsoft normally makes in this regard, and asked them if they have any measureable basis for it at the MVP summit this week.  I don't believe you can measure the performance difference.  We will see what they say.

I prefer to install to a Q: folder that has a DOS 8.3 compliant name (eg the "short name" has no tildas).  This prevents potential issues at the client with short name conflict depending on the order that the client runs the app - a problem that can affect COM which uses short names.  Once in a while you hit an application that must be installed to C: to work, but the best practice is to install to Q: unless you have an issue.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:44 PM

All replies

• Hello,

To minimize overhead, best performance and simply to make some applications function its always best to install into the mount-point.

In reality however, I have only had problems with Office 2007 - as far as I can tell, no other application has given me issues (vice versa however, meaning installing to q:\asset.001\ has given me issues on several occasions.)

Trial and error, its the best way to map what applications you should install where.

/Znack
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 8:55 PM
  • I am unconvinced about the performance statement that Microsoft normally makes in this regard, and asked them if they have any measureable basis for it at the MVP summit this week.  I don't believe you can measure the performance difference.  We will see what they say.

I prefer to install to a Q: folder that has a DOS 8.3 compliant name (eg the "short name" has no tildas).  This prevents potential issues at the client with short name conflict depending on the order that the client runs the app - a problem that can affect COM which uses short names.  Once in a while you hit an application that must be installed to C: to work, but the best practice is to install to Q: unless you have an issue.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:44 PM
  • Yeah, I don't believe in the performance thing that much either, but it might have been valid in early days of SoftGrid (Tim, you should know this as you were there!).

However, if we look at the bigger sequences (like that Office 2007), there are humongous amount of entries in the VFS if you do install to a normal (VFS) path. Considering how the VFS is implemented in App-V, this is big chunk of data to be uploded into VE at application startup and I'm sure this is where performance difference is visible more than the runtime -performance.

For me, Q: is actually quite logical if you think it from the conceptual point of view: just like you mount CD or DVD images to a virtual CD/DVD drive, you mount packages into virtual [package] drive and see the application(s) through it! Of course, similarities end there and that's why I'm sure there's going to be complications into that VHD -package idea before the time is due.

br,
    Kalle
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:09 AM
  • Oh, and one other thing:

I think that Sequencer should actually implement Q: drive as a virtual drive just like the client. But over there, the virtual drive would be writable so you can install to it (and in the background, the package is image/directory structure on your C: or whatever drive).

This would lessen some of the [beginner] confusion as why there's this real partition Q: on Sequencer but virtual on client..

/Kalle
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:13 AM