explorer.exe has eaten all memory RRS feed

• Question

• Process C:\Windows\explorer.exe has eaten all memory and needs more. I see about 600 MBs in Task Manager. All processes use 72% totally of 8 GB RAM, but system is dead and it asks more memory. Before I have completed Search on drive partition using 'type:image' keyword to find all images. This window has been closed, but process still uses same memory and all system freezes. Windows 7x64 HP
    Saturday, March 9, 2019 4:31 PM

All replies

• Greetings!

Did you try to restart your computer, or if nothing can move, force shutdown and restart by electrical way?
    Saturday, March 9, 2019 5:34 PM
  • Read Bad_Pooler_Caller posted earlier,follow the same steps for Virtual Memory/Page File adjustment.Also,some services use a lot of memory,reason being the OS isn't set to its defaults..1 area is to edit Windows services/Components (Add-remove) L.sub menu.The other,open cmd,type: services.msc  scroll thru,edit any set to Disable,double click on one,set to Auto or Manual start up..For specifics on explorer,open Administrator Tools/Event Viewer/System/Expand the trees one at a time,locate a error/warning/properties.See what the OS says...
    Monday, March 11, 2019 1:48 AM
  • Hi,

To troubleshoot whether the issue is related to a third party service, please check the symptom in a clean boot environment.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows 

If the issue still occurs, please download the process explorer from here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer, then view the Properties of explorer.exe and view the running Threads to confirm which service leads to memoty leak.

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 11, 2019 9:09 AM
  • Hi,

Is there anything I can do for you?

If you have any problems or concerns, please feel free to post here.

Best regards,
    Yilia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 15, 2019 4:03 AM