none
Applied 40 updates last night, NIC lost it's properties upon reboot. Been a mess since

Question

• The server is a 2008 SP2 box that hasn't been patched in a while. I applied four rounds of updates, ten KB's at a time and today when I came in the NIC lost its properties. I took screenshot's of the KB's that I applied. Any idea which KB would have caused this?

Also, the servers IP was and is supposed to be 192.168.207.3 but instead it had 192.168.207.105 - I was able to change it back back but upon running DCDIAG, I get errors related to .105 for now. Not sure if it's something to worry about. I don't see 192.168.207.105 referenced anywhere in the NIC properties anymore. How can I purge that from the DC?

Thursday, May 10, 2018 2:57 PM

All replies

• Was able to resolve the issue by disabling IPv6 on the NIC properties, then under DNS Properties > Interfaces, I had to remove the 192.168.207.105 entry and restart the DNS server and also reboot the SQL server.

Any idea what KB listed above would have caused that? I have about 80 patches left to apply but now I am more hesitant than ever to apply them.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 4:33 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Please try the following steps to see if it could be helpful.

1 Use NETSH to reset TCP/IP on the network interfaces as follows. Then set the NIC properties to its previous configuration.

netsh int ip reset

2 Type the command “SFC /scannow” to scan integrity of all protected system files and repair files. Then retry DCDiag to perform the testing.

3 Please also check the event viewer for more error message so that we could find more clue.

4 Do you use the latest NIC driver? Please check it and update the NIC dirver.

5 I searched current updates which are likely to cause this similar NIC issue. KB4088881& KB4088875but in your last night rollup. Besides, check these updates if they included in the rollup that may cause NIC issue.

KB4056564KB4087398KB4089187KB4089229KB4089344KB4089175KB4090450

6 In addition, Please try the following TN thread to see if it helps.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ae0d91d5-6c82-4cc5-b60a-8bdfa0bddbad/march-2018-windows-update-removes-virtual-network-adapter-creates-new-default-one?forum=winserversecurity 

If the issue persists, due to the server have patched many updates so that we couldn’t determine which update caused this issue that NIC lost its properties.

Based on my experience, I suggest we could patch requisite updates that may repair this issue for the server OS 2008 SP2 in total.

Highly appreciate your successive effort and time. If you have any questions and concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, May 11, 2018 8:10 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I was able to resolve the issue yesterday shortly after I posted by using the steps I listed above.

As for the KB's you listed, the ones below were installed so it's possible any one could have caused it I guess.

KB4087398

KB4089229 

KB4089175

Is there a site that lists known issues with bad patches so I can avoid this in the future? it's difficult enough to schedule downtime for maintenance and it's almost impossible when you explain that installing these updates may break the OS and cause an unknown amount of downtime.

Friday, May 11, 2018 1:32 PM
  • Here are the Sites i use: 

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

https://cve.mitre.org/

The two links are useful with windows update details.. 

if you have WSUS you can actually see the update details from the console and that will include any known issues with the process.. 

Rob

Friday, May 11, 2018 4:20 PM
  • Thanks. I came across this as well

https://www.askwoody.com/

Friday, May 11, 2018 5:52 PM
  • Hi,

I'm very pleased to hear that your issue was resolved successfully! don't forget mark as answer :-)

Yes! Above links listed are useful with windows updetails. Besides, we'd better backup system before proceeding to update.

Thanks for your sharing as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Saturday, May 12, 2018 4:59 AM