none
Recovering VM to an alternate host RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Once you have recovered your VM to an alternate host what are the steps to get it connected and make it available. 

I am getting the following error when trying to recover a VM to the original instance:

"DPM has detected that files have been deleted or moved on the protected computer.  You cannot recover using 'recover to original instance'.

However, you can select 'Recover as a virtual machine to any host' and select the original host computer as the destination."

So I use the 'Recover as a VM to any host' option and I am able to recover to the original host, but how do i get the VM back up and runnng in Hyper-V.

Thanks 

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:45 PM

Answers

• Given the complexity of your issue it would be best for you to open a support incident with Microsoft in order to troubleshoot this.
    Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, November 19, 2010 2:05 PM

All replies

• If you recover to an alternate host you will find that after the restore the virtual machine will be present in the list of VMs within the Hyper-V management console. The only thing DPM will not do in an alternate host recovery is make a VM highly available as we leave this up to the administrator to do if they choose to.

DPM 2010 Hyper-V protection whitepaper
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=c9d141cf-c839-4728-af52-928f61bebdca

Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, October 22, 2010 5:47 PM
  • So once I choose recover as a virtual machine to any host.  A warning message appears "Restoring the virtual machine to the original server will overwrite an existing instance of the same virtual machine present on the server."  This is fine, this is what I want to do.  On the next screen you have to specify the 'Alternate Recovery Destination.'  Here I am selecting the folder on the original host where all VMs are stored. 

All the files will be copied inside a folder named 'VMNAME_Recovery point date_DPM info'.  

On  the Specify recovery option screen I am not changing anything and on the summary screen I click recovery.

The folder 'VMNAME_Recovery point date_DPM info' is restored to the destination folder just fine.  However, My VM is not fixed.

At this point a I have the folder restored by DPM  ('VMNAME_Recovery point date_DPM info') and the orignal VM folder (VMNAME) in the destination folder.

Nothing new shows up on my Hyper-V managment console.  The VM I want to restore is still there but in the same state as before the restore.

Within the folder that DPM restores('VMNAME_Recovery point date_DPM info') is the folder named VMNAME.  I tried to delete the original VMNAME and replace it with the restored VMNAME, but that did not work out.

What am I doing wrong here?

Friday, October 22, 2010 6:55 PM
  • Unfortunately you're not going to be able to use the option to recover as a virtual machine to any host and then choose the orginal Hyper-V host. In you case it's best to use the option to copy to a network folder and point to the original host machine if you wish. This process creates a folder which will contain the virtual machine configuration file and its VHD. From there you can then manipulate the files as you wish and attempt to copy them to the original location for the VM however you may end up having to create a new VM using the recovered files.
    Friday, October 22, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Do you know why DPM throws the the following error:

"DPM has detected that files have been deleted or moved on the protected computer.  You cannot recover using 'recover to original instance'.

However, you can select 'Recover as a virtual machine to any host' and select the original host computer as the destination."

Seems like a huge limitation not to be able to restore to the original instance if a file has been "deleted or moved on the protected computer."  Ussually a file is deleted, corupt or moved inadvertently causing the backup admin to have to restore it.  When you don't know what file or manipulation of file has occured, complete restore of the VM seems logical.

The error message is kind of misleading then:

"However, you can select 'Recover as a virtual machine to any host' and select the original host computer as the destination."

Friday, October 22, 2010 8:34 PM
  • My intention was not to say that using the "Recover as a virtual machine to any host" option then pointing to the original host cannot be done or is not supported I was simply suggesting the network copy option due to the fact that the other recovery options were not working for you as expected and designed. We would not display a message telling you to do something if the product had not been tested/designed to perform such a task. As to why the message is occuring there are many possible causes so it's very difficult to say without collecting some data and actually troubleshooting. I will have to look to see if there are any known causes for such a message that you could address on your own.

Saturday, October 23, 2010 1:02 AM
  • Thank you for the clarification Tyler.  Let me know if you are able to find any known causes for the error. 

FYI..

I have only received this error when trying to restore a VM running Windows Server 2008 R2. 
    With the Server 2003 VM's I have not seen this error yet.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Out of curiosity, are you running on the released version/build of DPM 2010 which is 3.0.7696.0? To verify this in the DPM administrator console near the top right of the screen is a white circle with a blue "i" in the center which you can click on to verify.
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Yes, we are running Version: 3.0.7696.0.
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:04 PM
  • Given the complexity of your issue it would be best for you to open a support incident with Microsoft in order to troubleshoot this.
    Friday, November 19, 2010 2:05 PM