Page file settings disappear RRS feed

• Question

• Vista Ultimate - more holes than a leaky dike. 

I've been examining the Event logs and have now discovered a new annoyance.  There are recurring entries about problems allocating a dump file because the paging file is too small.  I have set the paging file size to 4096 numerous times, across boots, and still I find no Page File allocated on any device.  This is nuts....

Friday, August 17, 2007 3:45 AM

Answers

• Judging by the responses I'll guess that most people don't change the Page File size in Vista, or perhaps they just don't look at those advanced system settings.  In any event I have figured out a circumvention.

Since Vista did not honor the custom settings I entered (Min: 4096, Max: 6144) for the C: drive, I decided to try starting with the Vista recommended value which was 3067.  I set Min:3067 and Max: 4096 and for the past several days Vista has not removed those settings, although it has decided to use 2955.  The Event log errors have ceased so I'll just leave it alone until Vista updates resolve the issue.

09/19/2007 - A better solution became available.  Over Labor Day weekend I reformatted my drive and reinstall my trusted copy of Windows XP-SP2.  There was a fair amount of work involved in reloading all my applications, but for several weeks I have been error free and have resumed productive use of my machine.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 12:18 AM

All replies

• Judging by the responses I'll guess that most people don't change the Page File size in Vista, or perhaps they just don't look at those advanced system settings.  In any event I have figured out a circumvention.

Since Vista did not honor the custom settings I entered (Min: 4096, Max: 6144) for the C: drive, I decided to try starting with the Vista recommended value which was 3067.  I set Min:3067 and Max: 4096 and for the past several days Vista has not removed those settings, although it has decided to use 2955.  The Event log errors have ceased so I'll just leave it alone until Vista updates resolve the issue.

09/19/2007 - A better solution became available.  Over Labor Day weekend I reformatted my drive and reinstall my trusted copy of Windows XP-SP2.  There was a fair amount of work involved in reloading all my applications, but for several weeks I have been error free and have resumed productive use of my machine.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 12:18 AM
  • Hello

In this case , as I am not sure about the hardware configuration of your computer but as per recomendations there should be 1 GB of RAM on the computer for Vista. Whenever there is short of space on primary memory ( RAM) your computer searched for hard disk for page file. So page file is the area where the computer take some part from hard disk to process things. normally it should be 1.5 times of the RAM size. But you can increase the page file. Again it is always regarded to upgrade the RAM as compared to increasing the page file, as increasing the page file will increase the hard disk activity and you will see lot of hard disk activity in the form of red light blinking again and again.

Regards

Himanshu Dogra

MCSE

Sunday, September 23, 2007 7:46 PM
  • Thanks, but you may have misunderstood my situation.

My Vista configuration had 2 GB of Ram.  I wanted my custom page size to be 3072 (min) and 4096 (max).  I would set and save my changes, reboot and find that Vista had reset the page sizes I set, and was using a very small page file, which in turn generated event log error messages that my page file was too small.

The fix, like the fix for many other Vista problems, was to reinstall XP Pro-SP2.  Now my page file size stays the way I set it, and all the other problems introduced by Vista are gone.

Monday, September 24, 2007 9:56 PM