none
Windows 7 Prof. can't Connect to W2K Server Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I'm trying to connect my Windows 7 Professional computer to a Windows 2000 Server. Both are located on my network under the same router. I have already configured the LAN Authentication Level. I get the following error when attempting to join the domain:

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "DOMAIN":

An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a domain controller in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.

Thank you for your help!

Friday, January 22, 2016 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi hammy,

Your thought is reasonable, if IPv6 protocol has been installed on your machine, you don’t need to configure it.

Your behavior seemed proper, have tried restart router and server? Please have a try.

Best regards,

Teemo Tang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 1, 2016 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi hammy,

From our search and experience, please try the following method to see the result.

Go to network adapter IP 4 properties, set the DNS IP address to that of the domain controller, NOT the DNS. 

Then went back to the computer properties to add the computer to the domain, if this time your computer can add into the domain, reboot the machine and login into the domain account, go back to the IP 4 properties and reset the DNS to automatically get the IP address.

There is a similar case can be used as a reference, please check it for assistance.

http://www.proposedsolution.com/solutions/join-domain-windows-7-2008-server/

In addition, please check reverse lookup zone at the same time, no Reverse lookup zone in the DNS server for windows can also cause this phenomenon, the following link give us a clarification.

http://www.smartpctricks.com/2013/05/solved-an-attempt-to-resolve-the-dns-name-of-a-domain-controller-in-the-domain-being-joined-has-failed-in-windows-server-2012.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope my suggestion can be helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 25, 2016 7:55 AM
  • Neither of these seem to work (unless if I am doing this wrong). Thank you for your time anyways :)

Below is some info that I have done:

Currently, the router is set to use 10.0.0.x

I set the Preferred DNS server to 10.0.0.40 (which is the computer running the W2K Server).

Also, on the server, I opened DNS and created a new reverse Lookup using the parameters:

Standard Primary

Network ID 10.0.0

Thanks!

EDIT: There is also an IPv6 protocol installed with my adapter (along with the IPv4). Will that be needed in any sort of way?

• Edited by 275hammy Tuesday, January 26, 2016 3:07 PM IPv6 Protocol
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 3:03 PM
  • Hi hammy,

Your thought is reasonable, if IPv6 protocol has been installed on your machine, you don’t need to configure it.

Your behavior seemed proper, have tried restart router and server? Please have a try.

Best regards,

Teemo Tang

Monday, February 1, 2016 9:19 AM