IE10 default browser for all users RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

How can I make IE default browser on server 2012 for all users?

Most suggestions I found involve these steps to configure in GPO:

Open the "User Configuration" and "Windows Settings" folders.

Right-click on the entry labeled "Internet Explorer Maintenance" and select "Preference Mode."

However there are no "Internet Explorer Maintenance" in my GPO (opened from server 2012).

Friday, October 25, 2013 10:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• IE Maintenance's new home under 2012 GPO templates is now in here:

User Configuration

Preferences

Control Panel Settings

Internet Settings (create a new one and go from there)

However, this is not going to help you.  Choosing the default applications such as IE now done via different means:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mrmlcgn/archive/2013/02/26/windows-8-associate-a-file-type-or-protocol-with-a-specific-app-using-a-gpo-e-g-default-mail-client-for-mailto-protocol.aspx

You need to create an XML file and put in a couple of lines for IE, if you look at the screenshots the line is there near the bottom, painful process but i guess this is it.

• Marked as answer by Aurimas N Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:56 AM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 8:38 PM
  • Under Preferences->Control Panel Settings->Internet Settings

In Internet Explorer 10 Programs tab there is "File associations" section, but the button to "Set associations" is greyed out, how can I access it?

Monday, October 28, 2013 9:28 AM
  • that's the point of the article link i posted above, you can't control it anymore via IE policies, it's done through an XML file which is leveraged via File Explorer GPO.
    Monday, October 28, 2013 2:44 PM
  • OK thanks, got it working. I had to reboot the server before it actually took effect (gpupdate /force did not help).
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:56 AM