Vista Ultimate 64bit slow start up/crashes RRS feed

• Question

• I did a clean install of vista 64bit.

My hardware : AMD FX62 CPU, ASUS M2R32-MVP, OCZ DDR2 memory 4gig, ATI Raideon x1950XTX card + Raideon X1950 Crossfire card, WD HD Raptor X 150gig, Creative XFi soundcard.

From the time I turn on the system it takes about 40min to completely boot up. The system clock shows that only 2-3 mins have passed each time. The system also hangs or locks up if I try to do anything complex.

I have downloaded all the vista 64bit drivers and installed them for the above hardware.

Please help, anything would be great at this point.

Thank,

PM-GD

Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:57 AM

All replies

• I had problems booting Vista Ultimate 64bit; after I installed Kapersky Internet Security, the system would stay on a black screen right before the logon screen is supposed to appear. Rolling back the system solved this problem.

After I un(!)plugged some USB devices, a similar problem occurred again, and could only be solved this time by booting into safe mode and manually disabling legacy drivers. In order to figure out what I needed to do to fix the problem, I had to turn on boot logging in C:\Windows\System32\msconfig.exe. This utility also allows you to start with only certain drivers/services/startup applications enabled, which should help you track down the problem.
    Start by disabling all but the core drivers, and disable all non-critical services. Most start-up applications can also be safely disabled. Turn on everything one by one, starting with the drivers, since those are the most likely cause of your problems.

If you turn on logging, you can see what's going on while your computer hangs during startup. Instead of turning everything off and re-enabling it one by one, you can also try disabling the driver on which your system hangs for 40min, if you can identify it.

In addition, disconnect any unnecessary devices, such as printers, scanners, network or SCSI cards, sound cards (especially), etc.

Also, if you can't quickly fix the problem like this, please post your exact system configuration, especially the devices that you have attached to your system, and the output that you see on your screen during startup after you enabled boot logging / debugging boot mode in msconfig.exe.

--Patrick
    http://inmyholyopinion.com
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 1:26 PM