none
Unable to Encrypt Windows 10 OS Partition using BitLocker with TFS 1.2 and Dual-Boot: Partition not Recognized as NTFS but it is NTFS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Here's the scenario: I have Windows 10 installed on a dual-boot system. The boot partition is FAT32 and I use GRUB to boot. I also have a TPM chip installed that is enabled from the BIOS and that Windows 10 recognizes as enabled. The Windows 10 partition is formatted NTFS and I have verified this both from GParted and by running "convert c: /fs:ntfs" from a DOS prompt (response is "Drive C: is already NTFS"). When I try to encrypt the C: drive (by going to "Manage BitLocker" and selecting "Turn on BitLocker" for the C: drive) I get: "BitLocker Setup requires the drive file system to be NTFS. Convert the file system and run BitLocker Setup again." And I cannot proceed.

The only related post that I could find was at

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/10d07d2f-84f8-42da-aa22-485669e88cd3/unable-to-turn-on-bitlocker-on-win7-ultimate-i-have-unabled-tpm-already-and-getting-an-error-about?forum=w7itprosecurity

[note I can't insert the link directly because Microsoft hasn't verified my account yet],

but as that post is six years old, the solution recommends the drive in question to be reformatted, that poster may not have a dual-boot configuration or TPM chip, and my installation of Windows 10 is new, I thought I would ask the question again.

I suspect that the problem may be that the System files are not on an NTFS partition. That is, when I go into Computer Management --> Disk Management, the partition containing GRUB is marked as the System Partition. Does BitLocker require the System Partition to be NTFS? (If so, does that mean that I need to dual-boot from something like GRUB4DOS?) But I could be wrong here, because when I select "Turn on BitLocker" for another NTFS drive (a logical partition that only contains data, not the operating system), BitLocker proceeds to the next screen without throwing an error. So, that behavior would seem to be inconsistent with the System Partition having to always be NTFS for BitLocker to work.

Anyway, I'd be happy for any advice you've got to troubleshoot this problem. Thanks very much!

Saturday, January 23, 2016 10:44 AM

Answers

• Hi atrus88,

Could you please share us the screenshot of the error message, and your disk management?

For partitions and the related requirements, please check:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799232(v=ws.10).aspx

Further, I suspect the issue here should be related with the dual boot configuration, as the boot options are managed by Linux system, I don't think Windows could enable Bitlocker here.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 25, 2016 7:09 AM
  • BitLocker requires your boot partition to be NTFS formatted for PCAT systems although your boot OS is formatted NTFS. The same restriction does apply for UEFI platforms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, February 19, 2016 2:29 AM

All replies

• Hi atrus88,

Could you please share us the screenshot of the error message, and your disk management?

For partitions and the related requirements, please check:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799232(v=ws.10).aspx

Further, I suspect the issue here should be related with the dual boot configuration, as the boot options are managed by Linux system, I don't think Windows could enable Bitlocker here.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 25, 2016 7:09 AM
  • BitLocker requires your boot partition to be NTFS formatted for PCAT systems although your boot OS is formatted NTFS. The same restriction does apply for UEFI platforms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, February 19, 2016 2:29 AM