none
Internet Explorer 11 - Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working RRS feed

• Question

• On Windows 8.1 x64

With Norton Security Installed

This seems to have begun after applying my latest installation of Windows Updates.

(I have not tried a System Restore for this yet. I wouldn't want to play catch-up, although I would if I had to.)

When I go to ebay.com and click to Sign-In, The Web Browser Stops and Reports:

We were unable to return you to ebay.com.

Internet Explorer has stopped trying to restore this website. It appears that the website continues to have a problem.

What you can do:

Go to your home page
    Try to return to ebay.com

More information  More information

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: BEX64
      Application Name: iexplore.exe
      Application Version: 11.0.9600.18123
      Application Timestamp: 563faf80
      Fault Module Name: WMNetMgr.dll_unloaded
      Fault Module Version: 12.0.9600.17415
      Fault Module Timestamp: 545047db
      Exception Offset: 00000000000cf5cf
      Exception Code: c0000005
      Exception Data: 0000000000000008
      OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
      Locale ID: 1033

I have followed the general instructions from Microsoft Support and have applied the suggested fixes, but I can't get this to clear up. When I use a 3rd Party Browser (Chrome), I have no problem logging on or signing in. Two other websites I use frequently also act like this. One is a bank. I only tried Chrome to see what would happen. I only installed Chrome at the suggestion of an Apple Representative that I was on the phone with when I had trouble changing the Password associated with my Apple ID. She was right. Chrome worked for that issue. But I don't use Chrome on a regular basis at all.

I don't know how to decipher the problem signature. Does someone have any ideas, please? Thanks. 

Sunday, December 18, 2016 5:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/940029

the web page you are using is using windows media player.... please include links to any websites you are having problems with your questions...

If its an internal Intranet site, and your company is using "Enterprise site mode lists" then you need to place that page or domain in your ESML to use "Enterprise Mode" , or recode the web page to not use the codebase or GUID attributes of the <object> tag (or just remove it and fall back to embed).

If your a home user, try Tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default",

and/or Tools>Manage Addons>Show All Addons, locate Windows Media Player in the list and disable it.

Turn on ActiveX filtering for the website (see the Filtering icon on the rhs of the IE Address bar)

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by Michael Mele Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:40 PM
    Sunday, December 18, 2016 10:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/940029

the web page you are using is using windows media player.... please include links to any websites you are having problems with your questions...

If its an internal Intranet site, and your company is using "Enterprise site mode lists" then you need to place that page or domain in your ESML to use "Enterprise Mode" , or recode the web page to not use the codebase or GUID attributes of the <object> tag (or just remove it and fall back to embed).

If your a home user, try Tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default",

and/or Tools>Manage Addons>Show All Addons, locate Windows Media Player in the list and disable it.

Turn on ActiveX filtering for the website (see the Filtering icon on the rhs of the IE Address bar)

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by Michael Mele Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:40 PM
    Sunday, December 18, 2016 10:26 PM
  • Dear IECustomizer,

Thank you for your guidance.

The KB940029 did not work for me before I made the first post here.

Your suggestion to go Tools>Internet Options jogged my memory, and I went straight to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab and clicked the "Reset Internet Explorer settings" button.

After a restart, I went to Tools>Internet Options>Programs tab and re-did all of my "Manage add-ons". After another restart the browser began to function normally.

I can now log on to eBay.com and sign-in normally, and I can sign-in to another website that was a problem. For Discover Bank at discover.com.

What a good experience it has been for me to get things back to normal.

Gracious thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Michael Mele

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:37 PM
  • Hi Michael,

thanks for the feedback.... it really is important though, that you include the full links to any webpages that you are having problems with your questions... (copy and paste from the IE address bar)

I found a problem with discover.coms' landing page, and reported it with the Tools>Report Web Page Problems menu in IE.

I found the same problem at my local Ebay site: https://signin.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2F

the error log you provided indicated that you had a problem with the MS Media Player though... which is in the same genre of IE issues.... running out of date ActiveX controls...
    If you can remember which website that error happened on, it would give us a lead to get it fixed on their website. (From my research, On some adult websites, video falls back to using Windows Media Player when in InPrivate Mode or with ActiveX Filtering turned on.)
    Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 11:44 PM
  • Hello IECustomizer,

I see. So perhaps your work cleared those sites up prior to my own effort to apply that fix to my local machine. Be that as it may, the error codes that I copy/pasted and saved to file on both the eBay and the Discover sites were a precise keystroke to keystoke match with one another:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: BEX64
      Application Name: iexplore.exe
      Application Version: 11.0.9600.18123
      Application Timestamp: 563faf80
      Fault Module Name: WMNetMgr.dll_unloaded
      Fault Module Version: 12.0.9600.17415
      Fault Module Timestamp: 545047db
      Exception Offset: 00000000000cf5cf
      Exception Code: c0000005
      Exception Data: 0000000000000008
      OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
      Locale ID: 1033

I do not know whether the following information would have germane at this point, but I attempted to show you the current URLs for the following pages, but I got a message "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account"

eBay:

Home Page

Sign-In Page

Signed In

Signed-Out Page

Discover:

Home Page/Sign-In Page

Signed In

Signed Out

The best to you.

And thanks again,

Michael Mele