none
Office 2016: Autorecovery save location is not affected by GPO

Question

• Hi, I'm using the Office 2016 administrative templates to control the office settings of our users.

Before we go further, there are no issues with the application of the GP, all other settings are taking effect (even those in the same menu, like Autorecovery save time).  The GP is correctly changing the registry key at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\16.0\excel\options, for example, but excel is NOT using this key to set the path.  It's still set to the default %appdata% location unless the user manually changes it.

Could I have some assistance with addressing this?

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 7:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Simon,

As per your description above, seems Group Policy is not involved here, issue is more like on Office 2016 client side.

I have tested in my local lab, after configuring it in Group Policy, below registry entry got created and Excel 2016 received this change successfully, and updated the "AutoRecover file location:" field accordingly:

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\16.0\excel\options
    Value name: AutoRecoverPath
    Value type: REG_EXPANG_SZ

Is this the same key that you see on your workstation? Anyway, since Group Policy is not involved here, for Office related issue, I'd suggest you post in our dedicated Office forum below. There you should get more professional responses:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=Office2016setupdeploy

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:19 AM
  • Hi Ethan, thanks for the help.

Actually, that *is* the path that my policy is writing to, it puts the string at the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\16.0\excel\options

It seems that the values in the Policies folder are copied over to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Excel\Options

For some reason, the value AutoRecoverPath is not being copied over.  When I create the value at the above location directly, it works.  Any ideas?

Thursday, October 15, 2015 10:52 PM
  • It seems that the values in the Policies folder are copied over to:

For some reason, the value AutoRecoverPath is not being copied over.  When I create the value at the above location directly, it works.  Any ideas?

This is not what I see in my test. After applying the policy, the key got created under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\16.0\excel\options

However no entry got copied over to the path below in my test:

When I manually create it, but specify a different location as the value of AutoRecoverPath. The one under ...\Policies\Microsoft\office\16.0\excel\options always takes precedence over the second one.

I'm out of idea on this, I'd recommend to try in Office forum for a wider pool of respondents on this.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, October 16, 2015 10:41 AM
  • Another thought:

Which version of Office are you using? I mean volume licensing, for example, Office Standard 2016 or OEM version?

Not all version of Office can be managed via Group Policy, for example OEM.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Friday, October 16, 2015 10:45 AM