Installing templates to Sharepoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Similar but not helping.  I think this should be straight forward.  But nothing is step-by- step in this world.  Very frustrating!!!!  I need to add a template to sharepoint 2013 to be use at the General Admin level and to use it as a sub-site.  Is there anyone who can help?  thanks!

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:13 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure where you found the 2013 versions, the ones i found are for 2007.

Before we waste any further time with site templates that may or may not be valid let's make sure that you can create and use valid ones.

The simplest way to do this is to save a site as a template. Create a new teamsite (note: this must NOT have publishing enabled as that means that you cannot save it as a template), and add a new list to it. Once you've done that go into the Site Settings page, find the 'Save site as template' option and click on it. In there you'll want to fill in the boxes and mark the box by include content.

That will save a template straight into your Site Collection solution galery, if you navigate to the top level site in your site collection you should see it listed there.

Now, try to create a new site and see if that option appears in the list...

• Edited by Alex Brassington Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, June 6, 2013 10:20 AM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:15 PM

All replies

1. Navigate to the top-level site of your site collection.

2. Click Settings, and then click Site Settings.

3. In the Web Designer Galleries section, click Solutions.

4. To upload the solution, in the Commands group, click Upload, and then in the Add a Document dialog box, click Browse. Then, in the Choose File to Upload dialog box, locate the file, select it, click Open, and then click OK.

5. To activate the solution, on the activate solution confirmation screen, in the Commands group, click Activate.

Is this what you are trying to do? Read below for more details:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj938033.aspx

Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:46 AM
  • Thanks for an answer.  I followed the directions I found yesterday and I added 3 new site templates at my top level site colllection.  I want to make sure that my termology is correct on "my top level site collection".  A site collection was created using General Administration.  That URL is "my top level site collection".   When I go to create a new subsite, there is NO Custom Tab and none of my 3 new site templates are listed anywhere.

The directions say:

After you add a site template to the solutions gallery and the template is activated, the next time that you create a site or subsite, the template is available for selection in the Custom tab of the Template selection on the New Sharepoint site page.

I need to understand.  My I cannot see them to use them.

The other thing is the General Administration level to add new templates.  I followed the instructions on the "Fantasic 40 Application Templates for SharePoint (WSS & MOSS)" and nothing happened.  It says to put the new site templates in the directory C:\Fab40\ - and when you follow the directions it cannot find the file.  So how do you add a template at the General Administration level???   Do you follow the above procedure??  Because it is different from the one I got on-line.   I would think if you added them here, every web site under this level should see them.

Any more information would be greatly appreciated.

Deborah Hastings

Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:06 PM
  • I need to mention that we have SharePoint 2013 installed.  We have created team sites, one publishing site and one person got an excel database working.  But we are still on Office 2010 which includes Outlook.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Deborah Hastings

Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:38 PM
  • Deborah,

I am not sure I got you correctly but it seems you are trying to create a subsite using your saved site template and its not allowing you to. Am I right?

If yes, then lets take a step back. Create the subsite using any avaiable templete then do the following:

• Within the subsite, navigate to Site Settings-> Look and Feel -> Page Layuts ans Site Templates
    • You would see a bunch of options for Site templates and Page layouts. By default the option "Subsites inherit site templates from parent site" is selected.
    • You need to select either "Subsites can use any site template" or "Subsites can only use the following site templates" depending on what you need.
    • Follow the same procedure for page layouts as well if need be.

Hope this is what you are trying to do

• Edited by VermaVishal Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:13 PM Correcting the options that appear at the settings
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:10 PM
  • That does not help at all.  I'm using SharePoint 2013.  I do not get this:  Site Settings  -->  Look and Feel  -->  Page Layouts and Site Templates  -  anywhere on any of my web sites or even on the server. 

If I had seen that I would have checked it out and tried it.

I'm trying to do 2 things here.

First item:   I have downloaded free templates that I want to install on the Sharepoint server.  When I follow the directions I found on the internet, nothing happened.  They do not display as templates.

So - I need directions to install free templates on the Sharepoint server so that they can be used.

Second Item:   I followed the directions to add the templates on my URL using solutions.  They are there activated and they do NOT show up on the site templates.  I would like to use them on the subsite templates but if installing them correctly on the web site and they do not show up - please explain why.

If you cannot help me, please suggest someone who can.  Thanks!

Deborah Hastings

Friday, May 24, 2013 12:36 PM
  • We are not using a Publishing Site to add new templates.  We are using a Team Site.  The Team site does not have:   Site Settings   -->  Look and Feel  -->  Page Layout and Site Template Settings

So how is this done using a Team Site.

I created a Publishing Site and found  -  Site Setting  -->  Look and Feel  -->  Page Layout and Site Template Settings  -  but we are not using that.

I do not understand why this option is not found in both.   Please explain that to me.

Thanks!

Deborah Hastings

Friday, May 24, 2013 12:47 PM
  • So in the Publishing site I created I added my 3 free templates to "Solutions" and activated them.

Under Site Settings - Page OutLay and Site Template settings  -  it would NOT allow me to select "subsites inherit site templates from parent site"  so I selected:   "Subsites can use any site template."  I still CANNOT see the 3 free templates that I added.

Any help will be appreciated!

Deborah Hastings

Friday, May 24, 2013 12:56 PM
  • Deborah,

I am so sorry for the delay in response, I am sure you would have figured out by now. If not here it goes:

• You are right in selecting the "Subsites can use any site template." option
    • Go ahead and create a subsite, the uploaded (active) solutions (which can be looked at by navigating to Site Settings-> Web Designer Galleries-> Solutions) will appear within the Select a Template -> Custom section.
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:48 AM
  • Hi Verma,

I had 3 questions and you only answered one.  The one question you answered is the one were I'm NOT using a Publishing Site - I had just checked it out because what you had wrote me was not displaying on the TEAM site.  I'm using a TEAM site.  I finally found that may I needed to activate a feature so I activated "Sharepoint Server Publishing" on my TEAM site.  I can know see the path Site Settings --> Look and Feel --> Page layouts and site templates.  I selected "Subsites can use any site template".    The CUSTOM tab does not show up with the 3 new templates.  One ends in ".stp" and the other 2 end in ".wsp".   I need to understand how to create an application template on a TEAM site and then to use it.

All 3 templates under Solutions are "Activated".  Nothing is under "List Templates".  FYI  -  My URL is http://sharept/department/IT.

No matter what I do with my new application templates they NEVER shows up under the CUSTOM tab.  Mostly the CUSTOM tab does not show up.  Even when I go under "Sites and Workspaces" and create a site, the CUSTOM tab does not show up.  Could it be that SharePoint 2013 is not set up correctly?  We ARE using Office 2010 and Outlook 2010, but have SparePoint 2013 installed.

If you cannot help, is there someone else I can ask?

I worked on adding them on the server using Administrator rights.  FOR the *.stp template when I go to create it under"Sites and Workspaces" I get http://sharept:7362//  -  and that is not our URL, but it shows up under the "CUSTOM" tab with the extension ".std".  Our URL is "http://sharept/ - so that does not help.  FOR the ".wsp" template I followed the directions at:  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=12088.  I was able to find the "stsadm.exe" command and run it for "ApplicationTemplateCore.wsp first and then the 2nd template we wanted to use.  Then I get the same thing under "Sites and Workspaces" were the URL is http://sharept:7362// which is NOT our URL and under CUSTOM there is not listing for our new template.  Also all solutions are marked "Globally Deployed".

So I need some help here.  Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

When I downloaded the fab 40 (and it says they are for 2013), the date on them is 2007.  Will that work in the 2013 environment?

Thanks!

Debbie

Deborah Hastings

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:45 PM
  • I'm not sure where you found the 2013 versions, the ones i found are for 2007.

Before we waste any further time with site templates that may or may not be valid let's make sure that you can create and use valid ones.

The simplest way to do this is to save a site as a template. Create a new teamsite (note: this must NOT have publishing enabled as that means that you cannot save it as a template), and add a new list to it. Once you've done that go into the Site Settings page, find the 'Save site as template' option and click on it. In there you'll want to fill in the boxes and mark the box by include content.

That will save a template straight into your Site Collection solution galery, if you navigate to the top level site in your site collection you should see it listed there.

Now, try to create a new site and see if that option appears in the list...

• Edited by Alex Brassington Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, June 6, 2013 10:20 AM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:15 PM
  • I'm also running into this issue. Has this been fixed?

I've created a sub site in my site collection using the team site template in SharePoint 2013. Customized it to my liking by adding lists, etc. Saved it as a site template to the solutions gallery. I've made sure it's activated in the Solutions gallery.

When I go to make a new sub site, I want to use that template, it doesn't show up and there is no custom tab like there should be.

I also do not see the page layouts and site templates section anywhere in my top level site or sub sites.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thursday, February 26, 2015 2:41 PM
  • hello deborah,

just go to site>settings> site actions>manage site features> activate "

SharePoint Server Publishing" feature. you will get age layout and site templates.

Sushant

Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:57 AM