none
Schedule from project start / finish date RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Forum,<o:p></o:p>

when I
    Change from “Schedule from Project Start date” to “Schedule from Project Finish
    date”, project only changes the constraint date of the summary task. Task 8 in
    my example does not move as I would have expected as its individual constraint
    type is not changing. Only when I change it manually it moves out. <o:p></o:p>

So when
    wanting to schedule backwards, do I have to change the constraint type for each
    task individually?<o:p></o:p>

Is it
    possible to schedule lets say the first half of the schedule up to a certain
    milestone by forward calculation and the second half by backward calculation?<o:p></o:p>

Thank you
    for your help!<o:p></o:p>

Regards<o:p></o:p>

Heiner<o:p></o:p>

Friday, August 21, 2015 11:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

A behavior I noticed is that if you change the "schedule from" parameter from start to finish date on an existing project, Project will not update the constraint type for existing task to ALAP, just for the new task you'll create AFTER changing the settings. Thus you have to update the constraint type manually for all tasks created prior.

For you second question, it has to be tested but theoritically I'd say that you can schedule backward after an intermediate milestone and forward before. Indeed the settings in the project information dialog box just impact the constraint type of tasks before or after a certain date. Thus the end of the project date should be the date entered in the finish date dialog box. All tasks prior to the intermediate milestone should have the default ASAP constraint whereas all tasks after the milestone should have an ALAP constraint.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Friday, August 21, 2015 11:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

A behavior I noticed is that if you change the "schedule from" parameter from start to finish date on an existing project, Project will not update the constraint type for existing task to ALAP, just for the new task you'll create AFTER changing the settings. Thus you have to update the constraint type manually for all tasks created prior.

For you second question, it has to be tested but theoritically I'd say that you can schedule backward after an intermediate milestone and forward before. Indeed the settings in the project information dialog box just impact the constraint type of tasks before or after a certain date. Thus the end of the project date should be the date entered in the finish date dialog box. All tasks prior to the intermediate milestone should have the default ASAP constraint whereas all tasks after the milestone should have an ALAP constraint.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Friday, August 21, 2015 11:53 AM
  • Here we go....

Friday, August 21, 2015 12:12 PM
  • You can select multiple tasks, or all of them, then use task information button on the ribbon to set them all to ALAP, all in 3 clicks.
    Friday, August 21, 2015 2:43 PM