none
Lync Browser Helper / Lync Click to Call Add-Ons and portal.office.com (Office 365) RRS feed

• Question

• Hey 

We got the problem that when the Add-Ons Lync Browser Helper and Lync Click to Call is active the start page of Office 365 portal.office.com loads very slowly and the CPU goes up to constant 30%, also the page is the very slow over the hole time you use it. If you jump to a other site outlook/SharePoint/Yammer etc. then every thing works fine and fast. If we deactivate this Add-Ons the access to this portal.office.com page is fast. Not all of the user are affected even on the same machine.

Workarounds are, disable the Add-Ons or use the inPrivate Mode or use the compatibility mode. 

Any idea why the Problem occours for some users?

Regards Raphael

Thursday, September 13, 2018 2:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you can use the Addons Manager in IE to find out which version is installed and whether or not it (or its satellite BHO's) are enabled. (both the core dlls and satellite BHO's need to be enabled). Running IE in noAddons or InPrivate mode disables ALL addons (except ActiveX embeds (flash, Silverlight, Java JRT)… its nothing to do with the click to call addon.

you can find out which Update version of IE is installed from the About>About internet explorer menu.

you can find out which IE security zone a host is mapped to from the File>Properties menu in IE. expected internet (not Trusted or Intranet). Typically end users will self-medicate and add hosts to their IE Trusted sites list. You could use GPO to remove access to the Security tab of Internet OPtions, to stop end-users changing their IE Security zone settings. Websites like office365 use credential verification from sub domains... IE has a security zone setting for "Prevent navigation into a zone of lower integrity". eg. google uses myaccount.google.com to validate your google credentials. If you place google.com in your IE trusted sites lists, but not myaccount.google.com IE is unable to negotiate the navigation from google.com to myaccount.google.com..

My guess is that IE security zone mapping on clients is the most likely cause.

My second guess is their cookie settings... there are options on the landing/login page to "Keep me logged in" or "Remember me" (depending whether or not you are using windows authentication or not). You need to enable cookies for automatic login to work. (Content tab of Internet Options).

There is also the setting for "Empty temporary internet files folder when the browser is closed" in the Security section of the Advanced tab of Internet Options... it should be unchecked. (note: InPrivate mode does not use the same tif as your normal mode IE.)

Also ensure that the client machines are using your company's default IE security zone setting.. Tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default".

You did not mention their windows versions or IE versions.

from your description it sounds like you are using a mixture of win7,8 and 10 platforms. Only up-to-date windows 10 support windows hello.

The Office 365 support forums may be a better place to make further enquiries about managing your portal and user accounts their.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, September 13, 2018 9:19 PM
  • Hi,

I checked portal.office.com by typing the address in the IE address bar, for me it loads quickly. Possibly you are clicking either an internet shortcut file (.url) or Pinned site file (.shortcut) that has the wrong, or old address. You can view .shortcut or .url files in a text editor to see the url= value.

It should be https://portal.office.com (with no query string). It uses login.microsoftonline.com for credential verification.

You could use the f12 dev tools' Networking tab or another network sniffing tool (fiddler, wireshank) to observe the requests and responses as the client navigates the host(s) to further debug the networking and latency issues.

or

To debug which IE addons are involved, close and re-open IE using Start>Run>iexplore.exe "about:blank". Type https://portal.office.com , once the login page has loaded, select Tools>Manage Addons>Show Currently loaded addons...

are any password manager/form filling addons like the google toolbar or RoboForm or LastPass loaded? The login page has security features that require a human to type in their email address. Form/Password autocomplete will not work.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, September 14, 2018 7:30 PM