A custom task sequence to install software is always listed as Operating System on Software Center RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have built several custom task sequences to install software in SCCM 2012 R2 CU1 environment, but the type of task sequence is always listed as Operating System on the Software Center. I tried creating a simple task sequence (Task Sequence 1) that contains a single restart computer step only and tried deploying it to a test machine. This task sequence is also listed as Operating System. This task sequence fails because this is not the one for OS install and I do not specify a boot image for this task sequence. All task sequences that I have created in SCCM 2012 RTM environment are working as expected. All task sequences that I create in SCCM 2012 R2 CU1 are listed as Operating System regardless of its actual type (I upgraded my environment from CM2012 RTM to CM2012 R2 CU1 last month).

Here is a test task sequence that contains a single step of restart computer. This is not Operating System install but listed as Operating System. Any thoughts?

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 5:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

In Configuration Manager 2012 all Task Sequences are treated as Operating System Installations as that is their main purpose.

If you want to run a custom task sequence without it not showing up as an operating Sytem deployment, run it so it doesn't show any details in Software Center.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:09 AM
  • Hi Jörgen,

Thank you so much for your input. I am not still really sure what is happening in my environment. All custom task sequneces for software install that I built in CM2012 RTM are listed as Application on Software Center and they all work as expected. For example, one of the task sequences I built in CM2012 RTM consists of 4 steps and contains 3 packages. It installs a core CAD application and installs add-ins and then restart a computer. This task sequence is listed as Application. I do the same to create a custom task sequence in CM2012 RTM and CM2012 R2 CU1. Can you please explain what makes this difference?

FYI, the attached is the pop-up that I get when clicking INSTALL button to run a simple task sequence that contains a restart computer step only. This never happened before the upgrade to CM2012 R2 CU1.

Thank you,

• Edited by Joe0429 Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:20 AM
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:06 AM
  • I tried creating a new task sequence by copying an old task sequence that I built in SCCM 2012 RTM environment. I then put a single step of restart computer in the task sequence and deployed it to a test machine. This task sequence is listed as Application on Software Center.

Here are two task sequences that contain a restart computer step only. The task sequence 1 was newly created in SCCM 2012 R2 CU1 environment. The task sequence 2 was created by copying an old task sequence that was built in SCCM 2012 RTM environment. Both task sequences were then deployed to a same device collection. One is listed as Operating System and another is listed as Application. I have no idea why.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:28 AM
  • If you use OSD steps in your task sequence you will get this prompt.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3eb7569c-0b5a-4b40-86c3-d4f092c70aca/task-sequence-warning?forum=configmanagerosd

Per Mikko:

Using any of following steps (and possibly others as well, I did not check all of them) will change the task sequence type from generic to OSD:

• General - Join Domain or Workgroup
    • General - Restart Computer (Only "The boot image assigned to this task sequence" option)
    • Disks - Format and Partition Disk
    • User State - Request State Store
    • User State - Release State Store
    • Images - Apply Operating System Image
    • Images - Setup Windows and ConfigMgr

Daniel Ratliff | http://www.PotentEngineer.com

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 12:54 PM